PDA

View Full Version : Shackles hitting

Leithmc
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Just installed a set of BDS leaf springs in my 87 XJ. Now the shackle moves enough to allow the rear spring eye to hit the back of the shackle mount. The springs are obviously longer than stk so nobody needs to point that out. I've cut away all I can without weakening it. I'm probably going to have a set of V shaped shackles made up for clearance. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, and what they might have done to correct it. Thanx

Leith

Chris S
02-14-2007, 07:33 AM
It doesn't say how long your new springs are, but generally once you get more than 4" of lift you need longer shackles. "boomerang" ones can give you the extra length without a lot of extra lift, but even standard lift shackles will usually give the length needed.

Leithmc
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
If you look at how the XJ shackles are mounted in the rear, you can see that as soon as you put in a longer spring they'll hit. A longer shackle won't help really cause I'd still have to cut a clearance path for them. I'Ve got about 7" now. If I go with longer shackles I'll have to redo the front in order to keep it even close to level. I've got adjustable control arms and trac bar in it now. If I go higher I'll probably be looking at a long arm. The springs were supposed to be a bolt in(we all know how that goes) I'm going to cut out the back of the shackle pocket and reinforce it. Just wanting to know if anybody's had this problem with their XJ before.

Leith

Chris S
02-18-2007, 01:14 AM
yeah, at 4.5" you only need a little extra length so a longer shackle would work, but at 7" you would either need a boomerang or missing link shackle or else cut it like you are doing.
I know one guy who cut the pockets right off and built new rear spring mounts that tied to the uni-frame and an external rear cross member behind the bumper. The big plus of that was it let him use even longer springs and shift his rear axe back a bit.