PDA

View Full Version : friggin IFS bullshit

the_balls
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I HATE ITgo fuck yourself . if anyone fells like doing a SAS just for the hell of it you can do it on my truck. i know that at least both CV's and outer tie rod ends are shot, who needs to steer straight anyway :dontknow: . with all the squeeks clunks and funny wiggles goin on in there i'm afraid to fix it and find out what else may be fucked, would be a perfect time to SAS it if i had the abilities and resources

pumpkin
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Cash also helps

highwaystar
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
do you have the tbars cranked up too much maybe??

IFS not so bad, get er all fixed up and she'll be good for another 17 years[cheers]

highwaystar
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
there was a warranty for some steering linkage? maybe you can get it all fixed for free somehow with a miracle[blah] :dontknow:

oh well. here comes some posts about ifs sucking...

HEAVY METAL
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
i had 90 toy ifs.. didnt wheel it that much just gravel road campin/ explorin... served me wicked was my daily driver...bought it for 17 drove for three yrs sold for 14...loved that truck...ifs and all

surreysinner
02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I got the same problems with my ifs.....fucking pissed i cheaped out on the lift ....should have done it right the first time and its not big enough too boot.

the_balls
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
no t-bar crank or anything, something to do with 303,000 km. i love the hell out of the truck, just not loving the fact that it's all goin for a shit at once. once i get 'er fixed it'll be all gooder, then i can start worrying about the clutch and rear end :happy0045:

the_balls
02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
there was a warranty for some steering linkage? maybe you can get it all fixed for free somehow with a miracle[blah] :dontknow:

oh well. here comes some posts about ifs sucking...

i called toyota and unfortunately it won't work that way. i figure i'll get all the stuff replaced and then when they do the center link i'll get a free alignment out of the deal

ToyotaHEAD
02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I HATE ITgo fuck yourself . if anyone fells like doing a SAS just for the hell of it you can do it on my truck. i know that at least both CV's and outer tie rod ends are shot, who needs to steer straight anyway :dontknow: . with all the squeeks clunks and funny wiggles goin on in there i'm afraid to fix it and find out what else may be fucked, would be a perfect time to SAS it if i had the abilities and resources

TURE DAT! Toyota IFS has no place in the offroad world. Its ment to take mommy to the grocery store and thats it! (Not meaning to be confrontational to those that believe otherwise, just my opinion...)

I am right now doin a SAS on my 89' Runner. I have ALL the IFS pieces and are for sale here. http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75781 If you need parts mine are all good, and quite frankly I dont want much for them. That is if you dont mind stayin IFS... :confused:

the_balls
02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
of course i'd rather go straight axle but like i said, lack of ability, resources and cash are gonna leave me in the ifs crowd. i was checkin out some of your parts but i work at lordco so i'm just gonna abuse the staff account and go for all new parts.

highwaystar
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
My dad drove his with the clutch slipping bad for 2 years! If thats at all encouraging :D

d0ubledown
02-11-2007, 08:55 PM
maybe replace your tre's, ball joints, bushings cv's etc etc..and im sure it'll feel alot better. 303K is alot for steering components, esp if youve got big tires & wheel the hell out of it.

kind of pointless to blame it just on the fact that it's ifs. i've got ifs. it does what i want it to do...sometimes less, but mostly more. now if you're busting bj spacers, killing tie rods, snapping axles left n right, coz youre front locked on 33-35's wheeling the shit out of it..then sure. blame ifs...but dont blame it for lack of maintenance... ;)

the_balls
02-11-2007, 09:03 PM
well i gotta bitch about something :dontknow:
i'm not surprised or upset the parts are shot, just that they're all going at the same time, hopefully i can get it all dealt with next weekend, should be a good way to learn the workings of the suspension a little better. [32]

Toyquad
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
ifs aint all that bad. I wheeled my toy for a couple years with ifs. welded the rear no lift and 33's. did great. I never broke a single thing in the front end.

but my 4 runner sounds like your truck ..... everything is worn out...... and for the price of replacing it all i could do a sas...... but its my dd:dontknow:

Kinslayer
02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Buy a sprint, SAS the truck. Cheaper than doing anything with IFS and better on gas AND wheeling.

As soon as you got it fixed and spiffy you are gonna want to lift it anyway, so you might as well do it right.

the_balls
02-12-2007, 10:31 AM
i'd love to do it right but like i said, i'd have to pay someone to do it which aint cheap, it'd be off the road(not in the good way) for way too long.

whitlers
02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
ifs aint all that bad, i still have my ifs in my 90 toy, i haven't broken all that much yet..ball joints r going but fuck im just slowly puttin money away for a sas and waitin for my front end to fall apart...problem with you is that it sounds like your front end is already falling apart haha..my advice fix the least amout you need to so that it is safe to drive then save for the trailgear kit, buy an axel and git r dun!

lizard
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
well when your SA has 300+ k on it it will need work too . I like my 94 , does/goes what/where I want

flipper
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Make sure its safe to drive, then gather parts, solid axel, springs, hangers, exc. then when you find someone, it could be done relativly fast depending on there experience.

Toy_Runner
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
i have seen a couple posts on piarate4x4 where they did a sas in a weekend

the_balls
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
basically at this point i'm just gonna get it back to safe and reliable and take things from there