PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

Lynx
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

I had a fuel leak on my jeep, which I found out to the rubber o-ring on the pump/sending unit. I picked that up from the dealer. The jeep also started to bog out and even back fire if I floored it while driving, pretty sure just didnt have enough fuel preasure, so I picked up a fuel filter from lordco. Went to put it all in, went like a breeze. I started it up, no problems, left it idling and checked for leaks. I pulled it outside and shut it off to go close up the garage. When I came back to start it, it didn't. At first it would just crank and crank and every few it would attempt fire, now it just cranks over and over doesnt even attempt to fire.

So i thought maybe I pinched that little line going over the top tightening the tank up to tank, so i backed those off and which didn't help any. Maybe I dented up the bottom of the tank with the tranny jack I used to hold it up? What does the inlet to the pump look like? Is it just a hose going straight down that is maybe just flush with the bottom of the tank not sucking any fuel? I can hear the pump whirring just fine when I turn it to run and purge, and when it's cranking. Shit...anyone have idea to what I could have done?

Thanks, Cory

Lynx
02-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Maybe I knocked off the sock on the pick-up so it's not sucking in any gas, just air? It's pretty low, fuel light is probably about to come on.

lizard
02-11-2007, 09:36 AM
looseplug / wire ground?

B
02-11-2007, 09:38 AM
out of gas ...?

Lynx
02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I can hear the fuel pump like I normally do, so I'm pretty sure it's getting power.

It's not out of gas, the low fuel light is off. I had like a 1/16 of a tank and I don't think anywhere close to that leaked out.

jeepxj89
02-11-2007, 04:13 PM
would it hurt to throw a couple bucks of gas in just to see? maybe you knocked the low fuel light sending unit and its not working anymore. you have got any fuel at the fuel rail?

im suprised noone answered the title with "bought a jeep "

kootenaycat
02-11-2007, 08:30 PM
1/16th of a tank? Fill a 5 gallon jerry can and throw it in, you'll need gas once it does start anyways!

Check for fuel pressure at the rail, you should have a guage, just because you have fuel coming out the shrader, doesn't mean there is enough pressure behind it.

If that's ok, I'd bet the crank sensor is done. Pretty common on Jeeps, here is where "It's a Jeep Thing" should come in! :D

Lynx
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
yep, it was the pump. I was only getting 10psi at the rail.

Thanks for the help guys