PDA

View Full Version : changing axle seal?

godtool
02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I finally got around to changing my passenger side front axle u-joint. The only problem is there was gear oil in the axle tube. This is a 1981 front straight axle. Can a person change the axle seal from inside the tube?

brothergrimms
02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
got to pull carrier, pipe hammer out seal an hammer back in:party0010:

godtool
02-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Sounds simple, but time consumin, and greasy, greasy. Man I got to enjoy it if I want wheel! Thanks

godtool
02-09-2007, 08:29 AM
So to do this: pull both axles, take cover off diff, remove bolts, take note of where spacers are etc., gently pull carrier out use prybar if necessary, replace passenger-side seal and bearing if needed. I don't think I need any special tools. I do have a torque wrench, bearing drivers, etc.

I have three quarter ton diffs that I want to put under my truck this summer or spring. I was thinking just slap it all back together, and just keep an eye on my diff fluid level until then. But if I expect to be putting my diff under water or mud anytime soon I should change the seal, possibly the bearing too. But then again, my whole front end so is little worn out and I would rather put money into my three-quarter ton diffs.

What do you think?

In The Zone
02-09-2007, 09:01 AM
the seals are cheap do both because there is no gaurantee you are going to not be in deep water.... If ya wheel it that is..... another thing it dont hurt to sweep the tubes while it is all apart.

godtool
02-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Pulling apart today! Bought two new seals

godtool
02-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Thank you God for my nice warm shop and air tools[cheers] . Ready to wheel though[36] . Now I know why my steering was so sloppy. The last time I went wheeling I went into a big huge rock and bent my front tie rod along with the steering dampener:D .

A big thanks to all of you that gave me ideas on how to do this job[cheers] . I changed both front axle seals, resealed my diff cover and put a coat of gloss black paint on it;) . Changed that axle u joints. After three years of wheeling both hubs were still clean and no water contamination. One needle bearing and tearing needed more grease though. I've packed both hubs full of grease. I also cleaned out both axle tubes with a small wire wheel, I just pushed it through with a pipe. The same pipe I used to push out the old seals.;) :cool: