PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Diesel

longhorn
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Anyone know anything about these engines?
Hard to find one?
Are they crap?
How are they power wise?

sj-x 500
02-07-2007, 07:25 PM
the pumps are constantly going on them. the 6.5 is a bit better.. not much. gutless wonders i hear.

jeepingpw
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
6.2 is crap, basically a modified gas engine. Therefore the block can't get rid of the extra heat & the rad is the same as a big block gas engine = overheating problems.

When i worked at a equipment repair place when the Connector opened we had alot of trucks with 6.2's blowing heads from overheating pulling the grades.

Under powered stock & only a little better with a turbo.

tenpack
02-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Anyone know anything about these engines?plenty
Hard to find one?with a good injection pump,yes
Are they crap? minimal power, relitively reliable, simple.
How are they power wise? comparable to a suzuki towing a traler.

Explorer guy418
02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
this is that i have been told about them.........

boat anchor.

tenpack
02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
this is that i have been told about them....boat anchor.

funny you say that. ask mj and u2slow about em. The engines are gutless, but how many N/A diesels are powerful? the 6.9/7.3 idi's are a bit better but still leave a lot to be desired aswell. The engines are lacking in the power, but they are deinfatly slow and steady. Take the engines for what that are.

The c code engines were less powerful, the J-code engines were more powerful. I beleive the J-codes came in the 3/4t and 1t versions. NOt sure though

sj-x 500
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
that don't make sense... the not like you can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton ...

sure it wasn't the j's in the 1t and the c's in the 3/4?

tenpack
02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
that don't make sense... the not like you can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton ...

sure it wasn't the j's in the 1t and the c's in the 3/4?

i have seen 1/2t with the 6.2. Might be misbadged, but its a 6-lug 1500 with the 6.2.

Growly Gorilla
02-09-2007, 07:43 AM
[stupid] Seen them too.

Dirty Sanchez
02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Just bought a crewcab with the 6.2, on the drive home I decided that it's coming out, what a POS :deadhorse:

cowboy-truck
02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I had a 83 & an 84 with 6.2, both 3/4 ton and I liked them off-road. A little heavy in the front, but nothing a locker wouldn't fix. As far as power they had plenty for towing or hauling, trick is to add trans fluid to fuel, it lubricates the pump. And as for over-heating just add an electric fan to the front of the rad.

J-ROCK
02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

Lots of decent info in there...
Also read the main page its a diesel engine from the ground up according to these guys. I'd prefer a cummins but my 6.2 cost alot less and seems to work fine.

brothergrimms
02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
a grolfied 350 with diesel heads 355 rocket replacement they came in jimmys blazer 3/4 1tons just boat anchors.

ShuswapRedneck
02-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I liked mine, it was pretty good on fuel, lots of low end grunt, very slow up hills. I hauled a tandem axle car trailer with a Mazda pickup on it from Victoria to Sicamous on Highway 1 with no issues. Never had a problem with the injection pump, however the water jacket disintigrated due to lack of coolant changes in its lifetime, and the fuel pump went right after I bought it. The only cooling problem I had with it was in August when I had the camper on, and the A/C running full, the temperature climbed up into the danger zone. They also don't like cold, and require being plugged in over night if the temperature drops below 0. It could have been a way better engine with a turbo from a 6.5 (bolts right on), and some Ford Powerstroke injectors (I've been told these will fit in with about 3 or 4 threads and will boost power d.ramatically...this is not first hand information)

THE BIG MUDDER
02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
you can also find a 6.2 in blasers

u2slow
02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Anyone know anything about these engines?
Hard to find one?
Are they crap?
How are they power wise?

Yup.
No.
No.
Low on power, not much difference from a stock SBC in heavier vehicles.

I have a 6.2L in a Suburban for a DD. I run the SM465 trans, and axle is a 3.21 (33" tires) to lower the highway rpm. I drive it hard. It puts up with it. They use 6-7L of oil and a normal oil filter just like a smallblock.

The TH700 is livable behind the 6.2L, the TH400 is unbearable.

Two tips: Get rid of the stock fuel filter contraption. Install a manual pushbutton for the glow plugs.

kc_blazer
02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
I have some parts what are you looking for KC_blazer

BeerBaron Sr.
02-23-2007, 02:23 PM
The 'c' Code Is A Pollution Version On The Lighter Trucks,"j" Code
Has No Pollution Gear And Came On The Heavier Trucks.

The 6.2 Is not A Converted Gas Motor, [when Are People Going To
Figure This Out] ? The 6.2 Is Stand Alone Motor Designed And Manufacured By Detroit Deisel.

They Are As Reliable As Any Motor Out There For What They Were
Designed For,they Do Lack Power By Todays Standard

Kinslayer
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
The 6.2 Is not A Converted Gas Motor, [when Are People Going To
Figure This Out] ?

I've heard that Chevy had a 5.9L diesel that was out before the 6.2 which WAS a converted gas motor. Apparently it was SHIT. Perhaps people think that the 6.2 was the first diesel chevy made and when people say "the first diesel chevy made was a converted gas motor"...

u2slow
02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I've heard that Chevy had a 5.9L diesel that was out before the 6.2 which WAS a converted gas motor. It was 5.7L - based on the Olds 350 'rocket' block. It only came in 1/2-tons and cars. Apparently they hold up pretty good with ARP fasteners throughout.

BeerBaron Sr.
03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I've heard that Chevy had a 5.9L diesel that was out before the 6.2 which WAS a converted gas motor. Apparently it was SHIT. Perhaps people think that the 6.2 was the first diesel chevy made and when people say "the first diesel chevy made was a converted gas motor"...

CORRECT[36]

MetalMan
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM

It was a 5.7 and it was an Olds, not a Chev. Although I have heard the 6.2 mounts the same as a SBC...

FU Toolbag
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I've had them in burbans, blazers and trucks. They do come in 1/2 ton form. From the factory. They are no duramax, but they pull fine for what they are. I have one right now that when the snow's gon will be going to scrap, cause it's scrap. It blew a oil line and then spun a main. It looks neat with both the front bearings ontop of each other.

I liked them, no real problems, except this one, and the one in my jimmy whent to lac la hash with trailer to recover the bronko. No problems. I'ld by another one.