PDA

View Full Version : DOM vrs HREW

flipper
02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Just got a 16t tube bender and was wondering if its really worth going with dom tubeing or cheaping out a bit and going with hrew. I would prefer to go stronger but don't know prices or a good shop to pick it up from, preferably closer to langley.

Squishy
02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
tube bender or pipe? i know the pipe are measured in tonnes usually because of the bottle jack. if its a pipe bender, run 1.5" sch 40 and dont think about it. if its tube run 1.75-2" .120 wall hrew(its alot cheeper than dom).

id personally run the hrew without thinking about it, but then again my cage is 1.5" sch. 40 and im not at all worried about it.

flipper
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Cool, all I know about the different pipe is what you can learn from allpro and marlin sites on bumpers and armor. So even an exo is fine being built out of hrew? For a 85 4runner

DirtyComanche
02-07-2007, 04:04 PM
DOM is some piddling percentage stronger. It's ideal if you're trying to save weight. Of course, then you should be using 4340 DOM instead of 1020 DOM.

An exo isn't exactly a marvel of engineering, so I'd really not worry about trying to save the weight. Pipe will work. Lots of guys run the 1.5" sch40 without issue. The welds and design are far more critical in the big picture. Just gotta watch - the tube nazis might freak out.

Squishy
02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
DOM is some piddling percentage stronger. It's ideal if you're trying to save weight. Of course, then you should be using 4340 DOM instead of 1020 DOM.

An exo isn't exactly a marvel of engineering, so I'd really not worry about trying to save the weight. Pipe will work. Lots of guys run the 1.5" sch40 without issue. The welds and design are far more critical in the big picture. Just gotta watch - the tube nazis might freak out.

[stupid] the whole tube vs pipe thing is prettymuch dead in my opinion. if its acceptable to have a sch. 40 cage in a circle track car, and withstand those rolls or whatever, for the slow rolls we are most likely to encounter, it will be more than sufficent. its not like we will be doing high speed multiple rolls or anything

hrew will be fine for a cage, as long as it is designed properly, thats the MOST important thing. if you roll and it saves your life, but your cage is fucked, it did its job and saved ur life, isnt that the main purpose of a cage?.

flipper
02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
If I roll it will hopefully be more of a flop, the rest of the cage I want to keep rocks and trees from assaulting my truck, already have enough body work to repair again.

flipper
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
What do you guys think is stonger hrew or sch40?

Squishy
02-08-2007, 03:05 AM
What do you guys think is stonger hrew or sch40?

my opinion, sch. 40. its a little thicker wall(.134) and from what ive read, resists denting as easily as hrew

drknyght
02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
hey whats sch 40 worth? Can i get it 2"?

Squishy
02-11-2007, 06:43 PM
sch. 40 is usually less than $2 a foot, sometimes 1.5 if you get the right metal shop. the size of sch. 40 is 1.9"(outside diameter) or like 2.375(next bigger size

rkjp
02-11-2007, 10:34 PM

DOM is alot stronger than ERW. Because it has been drawn through a mandrel and the impurities of the weld are removed.
I might be starting a huge arguement but here goes, Pipe is for your house. Tubing is for your truck.

DirtyComanche
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I knew you'd show up...

Trooper
02-12-2007, 12:07 AM
DOM is alot stronger than ERW. Because it has been drawn through a mandrel and the impurities of the weld are removed.
I might be starting a huge arguement but here goes, Pipe is for your house. Tubing is for your truck.

The reason DOM is slightly stronger is because it is drawn out and heat treated, ERW is welded its has nothing to do with impurities its the enharent stress from the weld. An exo cage isnt really worth going to DOM it may be stronger but you dont need it. If you wanted super strenth you would silver braze 4140 for it, No shrinkage from the welds and the braze temp is the stress releave temp for 4140. Its not F1 here tho

Poopy
02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
PVC is lighter than all of the above, and you dont need a bender or welder.

DirtyComanche
02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
PVC is lighter than all of the above, and you dont need a bender or welder.

But it uses a 2 part bonding process!

ABS is way easier, only one step. And it is UV resistant!

Okay, I'll admit DOM is rated about 180-200% of the rated strength of pipe. But I'm unwilling to say structeral pipe can't be used - providing it is ASTM-53a conforming and you didn't find it in some field where it has been sitting for 20 years. (I think that would fall under 'non-conforming')