View Full Version : XJ door removal

Big-Luke
02-07-2007, 12:47 AM
just a quick question is it hard to remove xj doors and well put them back on

Nutbar
02-07-2007, 08:16 AM
YES

2 Ways to do it

#1 try and punch the roll pins out of the hinges (the pin holding the 2 halves of the hinge together)

#2 need a special low clearance Torx tool with T40 bit and unbolt the door from hinge taking care not to lose or forget placement of hinge shims

HEAVY METAL
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
open door..... floor it r verse clipping a tree...

92XJ
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
there is a bunch of people on jeepin.com that have come up with something to make it easy to change back and forth, check there.

DirtyComanche
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM

I did that backing out of my garage once. And yes, I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to admit it.

To do them isn't the worst thing in the world. I seem to recall the I just pulled the front fenders off because I was trimming them anyways. Then it had nice easy access. Then I just bucked the lower 1/3 off the hinge and drove the pins out.

Of course, removing a jeep's fenders can be annoyance in itself. Lots of torx.

pumpkin
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
You forgot the reinstall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,duct tape

Big-Luke
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
hahahah yeah i reli dont care how i remove them well besides damaging the hinges u know but awsome thanx for the help guys im takin them off this sunday for some wheelin at stave

TWOZEROFOUR
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Learned this one restoring cars.

#1 drill a small hole in the upper hinge into the body of the truck, Where it bolts up. Put a drill bit of the same size in the hole backwards.

#2 drill a small hole in the lower hinge into the body. same deal as #1

#3 unbolt the door from body with the hinge still attached. (hinge left on door side)

#4 when it's time to put the doors back on.. get a buddie to hold the door. put a drill bit in backwards. in the holes you preivously drilled. This will get the exact position of where they came off.

#5 put yer bolts back in. snug em up, Remove the drill bits.

And every thing should line up perfectly. i have done this with my 58belair. and 69chev 1/2.. among others. also used this on my 82yota but with that one fender clearnce was an issue with the drill i used.

Hope that helps

TWOZEROFOUR
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I perfer not to fuck with the pins,, then the doors rattle and u have to lift up on the handle to open/close. unless yer hinges are fucked all ready i suppose.

Big-Luke
02-08-2007, 04:26 PM
hahahah well maybe i will just leave them on lol