PDA

View Full Version : Hub question

epic3
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
So tonight I pulled the front wheel off my fs 87 bronco with manual hubs and I was shocked to discover that the hub came off is this normal the hub is attached to a flange of sorts that slips over the wheel studs and when the wheel is boled on is held in place does this seem right or am I misin somethin?
My last bronco had automatic hubs that were similar to warn ones with a top cap that was held on by six allen screws the hubs in this bronco have no visible screws

On a side note plenty of fender and bumper trimming are gonna be needed for 36's

Troy
02-06-2007, 11:02 PM
just yank all the old gears and springs and crap out and buy some warn premiums? or are you talking about the wheel hub that the rotor is attached to?

epic3
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
no not the whole wheel hub just the manual locking hub

Hello Kitty
02-06-2007, 11:06 PM

is it a grant steering wheel or stock one :dontknow:

Troy
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM

oh ok, there should be a large outer ring clip that holds the hub mechanism on the inside (it's hard to see, clean the grease off and use a small pair of needle nose pliers and hook it under it to pop it out) and yank it out with some visegrips, remove the smaller circlip on the axle end, then the rest should pop out along with a spring. I got a set of Warn premiums for my d44 on sale at lordco for 135$. Very simple to install.

hope that helps:dontknow:

BC_4RUNNER
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
What are ya doing swapin' tires at 11 pm

You wanna borrow my high lift[f]

epic3
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
oh ok, there should be a large outer ring clip that holds the hub mechanism on the inside (it's hard to see, clean the grease off and use a small pair of needle nose pliers and hook it under it to pop it out) and yank it out with some visegrips, remove the smaller circlip on the axle end, then the rest should pop out along with a spring. I got a set of Warn premiums for my d44 on sale at lordco for 135$. Very simple to install.

hope that helps:dontknow:

thanks but what I would like to know is are the hubs and flange they are on supposed to just slip off like that when ya remove the wheel
if they aint broke I aint gonna replace them (yet) [cheers]

And no Mr BC_4runner dude I am not swappin wheels at 11 I swapped one of them at 10

BC_4RUNNER
02-06-2007, 11:17 PM
You swapped it ?????? How if your hub is in peices and the 36 doesn't fit.

Welcome to workin on my truck! Nothing goes as planed and shit usually breaks whenI am fixing it.:D

89Ford
02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
is their any holes anywhere for bolts to go???? wish i could help...but the outer hub do dad on my TTB is bolted on....

epic3
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
You swapped it ?????? How if your hub is in peices and the 36 doesn't fit.

Welcome to workin on my truck! Nothing goes as planed and shit usually breaks whenI am fixing it.:D

yup its swapped (the driver front only) and the hubs not in pieces I put it back on I was just curious if its normal for it to slip off when I removed the wheel.
it slides on over the studs and is sandwiched between the wheel and rotor

BC_4RUNNER
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
yup its swapped (the driver front only) and the hubs not in pieces I put it back on I was just curious if its normal for it to slip off when I removed the wheel.
it slides on over the studs and is sandwiched between the wheel and rotor

Will it sit on 36's but not flew or will they not fit at all?

epic3
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
they fit
but only about three inches of vertical motion and I cant turn the wheels right to left without the tire binding on the bumper
so about four inches of trimming should do for the front the rear I dont know yet
You'll see tomorow

BC_4RUNNER
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
they fit
but only about three inches of vertical motion and I cant turn the wheels right to left without the tire binding on the bumper
so about four inches of trimming should do for the front the rear I dont know yet
You'll see tomorow

Trim this clip to fit the 36's then put your new clip on after the trip!

duff
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
So tonight I pulled the front wheel off my fs 87 bronco with manual hubs and I was shocked to discover that the hub came off is this normal the hub is attached to a flange of sorts that slips over the wheel studs and when the wheel is boled on is held in place does this seem right or am I misin somethin?
My last bronco had automatic hubs that were similar to warn ones with a top cap that was held on by six allen screws the hubs in this bronco have no visible screws

ya thats totaly normal for the stock ford hubs, you can replace them latter if you want, the waren hubs are of corse stronger but theres nothing wrong with yours[cheers]

On a side note plenty of fender and bumper trimming are gonna be needed for 36's

epic3
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
thanks duff thats what I was hopin to read
Yeah Greg I'll be fitting the new clip after this trip