PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Carb rebuilt?

Troy
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey I need a carb rebuild done. I could buy a kit from lordco and do it myself, but i dont wanna fuck around with it i want it done properly. It's a 2 barrel Motocraft off my 79 Ford F250 351M. I just need the carb to work properly and not die on me like it did the other day(and had to pour gas down it to get it started) it's got a loss of power because of it, and its running rich. So wheres a good honest place to get a carb rebuilt? Preferably Langley/Surrey close by

any help greatly appreciated[cheers]

Frenchtoast
02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
buy new carb :confused0006:

Troy
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
buy new carb :confused0006:

no im going to be selling the truck shortly, so i just need it to run properly. The motor's all stock anyways

Hello Kitty
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
no im going to be selling the truck shortly, so i just need it to run properly. The motor's all stock anyways

dave foreman auto in langley.

Frenchtoast
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
k cool it's whats i would do but thats me[cheers]

Troy
02-06-2007, 07:26 PM
dave foreman auto in langley.

thanks dude ill check it out tomorrow

MetalMan
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
You had to pour gas down the carb, but it's running rich? Sounds a little contradictory, don't you think? I'd be looking at other possible problems as well.

That should be a super easy carb to rebuild. However, any proper carb rebuild will include rebushing the throttle shaft, don't pay much money for a rebuild if it doesn't involve that. I'd rebuild it myself if I were you, you can even by kits to rebush the shafts yourself.

Hello Kitty
02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
thanks dude ill check it out tomorrow

5718 198th st

604-530-4510

[cheers]

Troy
02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
You had to pour gas down the carb, but it's running rich? Sounds a little contradictory, don't you think? I'd be looking at other possible problems as well.

That should be a super easy carb to rebuild. However, any proper carb rebuild will include rebushing the throttle shaft, don't pay much money for a rebuild if it doesn't involve that. I'd rebuild it myself if I were you, you can even by kits to rebush the shafts yourself.

k, on those years they have mechanical fuel pumps which suck, i put a new one on and put 20 bucks in the tank, and it cut out on me and i looked at the clear fuel filter and it was empty, now when u run the line dry, its a bitch to get gas pumpin through again and i was crankin it for about 5 mins on and off and pumpin and no response. So u have to pour gas in the carb to get it runnin aagain and its usually enough to start pumpin gas back up to the carb on its own. But when it does run and idle its rich. There could be other fuel problems like a clogged line or something in the tank but either way the carb needs to be rebuilt, theres hardly any power underload and it wont idle properly when warmed up. I can figure out how to install new parts and hot tank the carb to clean it and all, but im not experienced in setting float levels, and jetting. Sometimes its better to get pro's to do it because I dont have the time to fuck with it. I have 2 Fords, thats too many. I need to get this one fixed and sold.

MetalMan
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Mechanical fuel pumps are great, and if you're having to prime on a regular basis either the pump is fucked, or you have a pinhole leak somewhere in the fuel supply route which is letting air in.

kootenaycat
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
[iagree] Sounds like it's sucking air between the pump and tank.

Get one problem fixed before tackling another one.

Troy
02-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Mechanical fuel pumps are great, and if you're having to prime on a regular basis either the pump is fucked, or you have a pinhole leak somewhere in the fuel supply route which is letting air in.

the whole frame rails and fuel lines are coated in about 1/4 of undercoating...and i got 2 tanks with a fuel switch (solenoid?) I guess i could replace the fuel lines, will be a complete bitch to do. But that still doesnt explain the loss of power when u step on it, it just bogs down, then i put the clutch in rev it up and let it back out to maintain speed lol (ive only driven the thing 4 or 5 times)

pumpkin
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
k cool it's whats i would do but thats me[cheers]
Ya but you have bottomless pockets[cheers]

MetalMan
02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
the whole frame rails and fuel lines are coated in about 1/4 of undercoating...and i got 2 tanks with a fuel switch (solenoid?) I guess i could replace the fuel lines, will be a complete bitch to do. But that still doesnt explain the loss of power when u step on it, it just bogs down, then i put the clutch in rev it up and let it back out to maintain speed lol (ive only driven the thing 4 or 5 times)

If it's sucking air in that could explain everything. Have you verified it's running rich? Lots of BLACK smoke out the exhaust? It could actually be leaning out, and not filling the float bowl.

Troy
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
havent looked at the smoke, but u can definatly smell its burnin rich, i know what lean smells like, my neighbour had a shitbox malibu and that thing would make ur nose burn. But the fuel lines havin holes in them? i would notice a fuel leak, ive let the thing run for 20 minutes straight and not seen any fuel leak out. But it's weird because i replaced the fuel pump, and put a new fuel filter right before the carb and it sometimes just doesnt get fuel to the carb you can see it in the little filter and u have to prime the whole damn thing again. It did this when i towed the truck home, had to run it out of a jerry can to prime it and get it runnin. So it must be something to do with the fuel line or tank

MetalMan
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
You wouldn't notice a fuel leak because little to no fuel would leak out of it. It would just suck air in once the pump started going. And if it runs rich it smells like gas, no two ways about it, but how do you know that the smell of gas is coming from the tailpipe? I think you need to dig deeper to figure out this problem. If it's rich enough to affect how it runs you WILL see black smoke out the exhaust.

Troy
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
ya alright thanks mr. goodwrench, ill figure it out. But im still pretty sure the carb needs a rebuild.

tenpack
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
ya alright thanks mr. goodwrench, ill figure it out. But im still pretty sure the carb needs a rebuild.

"the whole frame rails and fuel lines are coated in about 1/4 of undercoating" and you wonder why you cant find the leak?

Replace the lines, it may be a bitch but its simple and pretty cheap. If you're selling it, replaceing 100 bucks worth of stuff will make the difference if it runs better.

MetalMan
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
[stupid]

And put the attitude away while you're at it, most of us have been around wrenches a lot longer than you have.

Troy
02-06-2007, 11:06 PM
[stupid]

And put the attitude away while you're at it, most of us have been around wrenches a lot longer than you have.

ya thats my next step is to replace the fuel lines, and trust me ive already put a good chunk of money into this thing getting it driveable, im not worried about spending a few more dollars to get it running properly. Ill start on it this week and let you know how it goes. Attitude, what attitude? i seriously thought you were a gm goodwrench technician:dontknow:

89Ford
02-06-2007, 11:31 PM
dont know how to set float levels.......its pretty easy, and seing as how your motorcraft carb was built by holley, or at least the one on my 460 was, itll prob need them adjusted. once you get the thing running, take the inspection plug out and adjust it so that the fuel level is just at the bottom of the hole. shut the truck off and if you rock the truck a bit it should just about, or just slosh out....or at least this is how i was tought.

MetalMan
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Motorcraps were mostly a knockoff of low end Holleys, I believe. As for setting the floats, like 89Ford said the fuel should be at the bottom of the peep hole. Holley style is adjustable up top with a flat head screwdriver and 5/8" wrench, adjust slowly and give the float bowl level time to change. If it's not that style, the float bracket has to be bent, but the rebuild kit will include specs and a little measuring tool to set float level. And if were to keep the truck, you would want to not piss around with foam floats, they always fail in a year or two.

And yeah, I'm mr goodwrench. [16]

Troy
02-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Motorcraps were mostly a knockoff of low end Holleys, I believe. As for setting the floats, like 89Ford said the fuel should be at the bottom of the peep hole. Holley style is adjustable up top with a flat head screwdriver and 5/8" wrench, adjust slowly and give the float bowl level time to change. If it's not that style, the float bracket has to be bent, but the rebuild kit will include specs and a little measuring tool to set float level. And if were to keep the truck, you would want to not piss around with foam floats, they always fail in a year or two.

And yeah, I'm mr goodwrench. [16]

ya i know how to bend the tang on the float, ive done it before with dirtbike carbs and such. I guess ill try to do it myself, but i just dont want to make it worse then what it is now. Will i have to replace the throttle shaft bushing? ive heard something about that? or is it even worth it.

MetalMan
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Throttle shafts get worn out over years of use and as the clearances increase vacuum will begin leaking past them. It's not a sudden thing, though, it happens over a long period of time. It is something I consider mandatory for any proper carb rebuild, but if you just want to sell it I wouldn't bother. Unless the shafts are sloppier than a Surrey girl it won't make a huge difference.

Tmax
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
just do it yourself. no big deal at all. just be carefull with carb cleaner since it sweals rubber seals.

Bocephus
02-07-2007, 07:25 PM
man it does sound liek theres something getting into the lines i aked bear at work and thats what he said id say replace the fuel lines well get hender to do it

Troy
02-07-2007, 07:34 PM
man it does sound liek theres something getting into the lines i aked bear at work and thats what he said id say replace the fuel lines well get hender to do it

how did bear tell u? that guy can't even speak english, but im going to do both, carb rebuild, and fuel lines. Then it should run gooder