PDA

View Full Version : Double Cardan question

Throttle1982
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
So I was driving up to that Hill climb in Poco yesterday and started to notice a real nice squeak comin from the driveshaft. Got home today from work and started to tear into it and found that the ball in the center of the double cardan had completely ran dry of grease :dontknow:. Anyway, I was wondering how much play there should be in the ball, because it seems that there is a lot of play in the ball after I greased it, and I get a low clunk from the backend that matches the rpm of the driveshaft...

If I were to need to replace the double cardan, where would I find one and how much?

epic3
01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
you can rebuild it

Tunabomber
01-29-2007, 10:03 PM
yup that phill guy is right if ya cant doo it yerself take it to a drive line shop
pretty cheap worse case situation prolly 100 bucks thats what mine cost with
2 new u joints and a new center thingy [cheers]

Troy
01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
take it to pats driveline in port kells or driveline services in surrey, i got mine completely rebuilt with new joints and ball for like 150 (was a fullsize pickup front cv style shaft)

Tunabomber
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
take it to pats driveline in port kells or driveline services in surrey, i got mine completely rebuilt with new joints and ball for like 150 (was a fullsize pickup front cv style shaft)

yup thats where i went too:cool:

Throttle1982
01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
k, I'll have to go do that, thanks guys.

Anyone know how much it is to get a front D/S ballanced there too?

Throttle1982
01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
you can rebuild it

Where do I get the kit? Lordco looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask if they cary a rebuild kit for it.

Tunabomber
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
pretty sure ya cant buy a kit
ya just buy the three parts and pushem together
not totaly sure [cheers]

u2slow
01-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Lordco looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask if they cary a rebuild kit for it.

Fawkers should be shot. [16]

Precision brand:
#617 for the ball kit
#607 for the centering yoke (includes ball kit)
#647 for the H yoke

Throttle1982
01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Well I went down to Pats Driveline to see what they can do about it.
Turns out the entire shaft is fuckered. The glide coat on the stub is all worn off, so the stub needs to be replaced, and the double cardan joint on the shaft is worn and needs a new one of those. They told me it would cost about $450-$600 to rebuild it. So I went to Danco and they said the same thing but for a brand new one to be built. So anyway, needless to say, what I thought was going to be a $150 MAX repair... turns out to be a real fuckin pain in the ass and wallet!

ez_b
01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
go and get a used one, i'm sure a wrecker would have a used one that will get u by for around 100 bucks. just a thought [cheers]

Tunabomber
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
i dont wana say this for fear of advertizing for a company i hate but cant you buy a cv shaft and sye kit from gemini for bout 6 bills and thats for both
new shaft must be cheeper
have u asked jeep thrills ?[cheers]

Throttle1982
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
I can't get a stock one, because the one I have right now is already lengthened, and I have an SYE, so if I got a used one, I'd have to spend another $200 or so just to lengthen it again.

I just phoned Jeep Thrills and he said he could put one together for me for $400, so I may go that route... waiting to hear back from Danco to see how much his tech says its going to cost to fab a new one up.

u2slow
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Find a shaft with the same series CV thats to long... have it shortened. Ford is a good bet. This driveshaft stuff isn't rocket science.

Throttle1982
01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Find a shaft with the same series CV thats to long... have it shortened. Ford is a good bet. This driveshaft stuff isn't rocket science.

haha it sure is to me! :dontknow:

It would be nice to be able to go to pick apart and get a new shaft, then just get it shortened. Except I don't know what vehicles I'm looking to get it off of...

I'm leaning towards going with the one from Jeep Thrills, that way its all brand new shit that goes on it.

Throttle1982
02-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Well I got my driveshaft back from Jeep Thrills on Friday. Got a pretty smokin deal for a price, a hell of a lot cheaper than Pats Driveline or Danco. Slapped it in on Friday and feels awsome.

The shaft was almost completely rebuilt. The pin for the double cardan had to get cut off and a new one welded, and the glide coat on the stub shaft was pooched so they had to bake on a new batch, along with all new U-joints and a new dust cap.