PDA

View Full Version : xj advice needed

hot-flashes
01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
have a 88 xj..had some work done it (aka leaks) since then the truck won't start ..drains battery..lights work..alarm works..radio..but won't start. when a light tester is clipped to the frame and touched to the positive lead on the starter it trys to start. can anyone shed some light on this problem.

Always broke
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Could be they didn't unhook the battery when they welded on your truck and fried your battery try un hooking the ground on the battery then put a test light between the ground wire and the ground on the battery if it lights up you have a drain somewhere just pull fuses out one at a time then that will tell you where to start looking when the light goes out[cheers]

hot-flashes
01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
thank for your help but they didn't do any welding on the truck,they just replace gaskets on the rear main and tranny pan,oil pan. but youre right there is a drain someplace.as its a new starter not sure where to start.

NLWrangler
01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Coil toasted?

jeepxj89
01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
does the engine crank over but it just wont start? maybe try checking your crank positioning sensor.

Kinslayer
01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
have a 88 xj..had some work done it (aka leaks) since then the truck won't start ..drains battery..lights work..alarm works..radio..but won't start. when a light tester is clipped to the frame and touched to the positive lead on the starter it trys to start. can anyone shed some light on this problem.

AKA when you test your battery with a 12v light? You sure it's the positive lead on your starter? I could understand the NEGATIVE lead, then maybe you have a shitty ground from your engine.. it's either that or you are somehow crossing your solenoid.

hot-flashes
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
the head lights work,"nice and bright" the battery tests good, starter is new..but when i turn over the key...nothing..not even a click ..no noise at all. talked with the old owner of the truck he suggests the switch in the colum..this is my first jeep.so I have alot to learn.
maybe it's time to send it to a shop. once again thank you for your help.

Kinslayer
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
If it's a new starter I would look at the starter wiring for sure. You said it starts to crank when you bridge some connections,right? need more info on what causes it to crank.

hot-flashes
01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
when you clip the testlight to the frame and touch it to the positive on the starter the bendix starts to engage. but turning the key over results in nothing.I appreciate all the time and help.this is so frustrating for me. Just want to get back on the road.

hrd4mud
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
If it was slopin a lot of oil, mine had slopped so much oil the connections wernt makin good connection, took em off and cleaned em, and fixed the prob.

I would check connections on starter first, then if that doesnt work have a friend turn key while you test for power down at the starter.

If its the ignitions switch, its not actually at the key, its lower on the column, the key slides a rod down the column and the switch is a slider down by the floorpan.

I know mine had shot bearings in the culumn, and id have to turn the key, then wiggle the column just right to get it to push enough to engage the starter. Damn tilt, who needs it anyways.

hot-flashes
02-09-2007, 10:18 AM
DAMM..hope I can say that on here!! gettin so mad!!!!! changed the relay ..brought another new starter..went to princess auto to look at large rubber hammer..thankful my son stepped in and stopped me..lol now my question is who is the best to send it to for repairs..because the forks been stuck in me..I'M DONE.

Pudge
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Jeep Thrills

In The Zone
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
My guess check for 12v at the solenoid when some one cranks this will be the only time it see's or should see voltage....

if you got 12v like specifed start looking for bad grounds or bad connections on the + side...
if u dont go to step 2

step 2 apply 12 v directly to the starter via jumper from batt if it starts with key on ie run position.. and runs your ignition switch could be toast

if it just cranks and does not fire up most likley it is your ignition

kootenaycat
02-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Is this an auto or standard? Could be neutral safety switch, (MLP Switch for auto), but I don't think the Jeeps had one for the standards, so shouldn't be a problem there.

Do like Zone says, turn key to crank check for 12V or a bright test light at the small starter solenoid terminal. If not, follow circuit back to ignition switch. Do these have a starter relay like the old Dodges did? Haven't worked on enough Jeeps, and mine still starts so haven't had to work on it.........yet!

I can get a wiring diagram for Monday evening if you can wait 'til then.

Ironman
02-09-2007, 10:43 PM
tell it your gonna burn it then it will work. Always worked for me

hot-flashes
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
just wanted to let everyone who gave me advice know... I changed the colum
switch and found a few wires that looked like they had gotten hot. fixed them and low ond behold it runs...thanks so much everyone.

kootenaycat
02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Good to hear! [cheers]

hot-flashes
02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
thanks to everyone's help I finally got it running.

Kinslayer
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Good, lets go wheelin'.