PDA

View Full Version : shackles vs body lift

rs9000
01-26-2007, 03:27 PM
so my next step on my jeep is ethere shackles or a body lift which do u think is better so far i got rancho rs5000 shocks and a rubicon express transfer cases drop and about 3-4 leaf spring lift i wanna get tall for bigger tires and off set rims but i dunno wat i should do shackles or body lift if i got body lift is it a hard install i got a full shop and tons of tool .... or should i go shackles if i got shackles will i have to extend anything so far my break lines are stock and a full flex i got enuf room on them to be good wat about my drive shafts will i have to do anthing to them and how big of shackles should i go any one with any ideas plz let me know [cheers]

Lister
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Shackle lifts don't net you much. Because you are lifting only 1 end of the spring, 2" longer shackles will only get you 1" of lift.

If you do a body lift, don't do more than 1.5-2" or it will look stupid. Both are easy to do. For a body lift, you can go to a marine supple store and buy boat rollers. They are hard rubber and have a hole through the centre already. Just need a band saw to cut them to the size of lift you want. That, and longer bolts, and the body lift is easy.

Figure out what tires you want, and then see how much lift you need.

rs9000
01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
kool thanks

Steve-0
01-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Shackle lifts don't net you much. Because you are lifting only 1 end of the spring, 2" longer shackles will only get you 1" of lift.

If you do a body lift, don't do more than 1.5-2" or it will look stupid. Both are easy to do. For a body lift, you can go to a marine supple store and buy boat rollers. They are hard rubber and have a hole through the centre already. Just need a band saw to cut them to the size of lift you want. That, and longer bolts, and the body lift is easy.

Figure out what tires you want, and then see how much lift you need.

Why wouldn't you buy an actual body lift kit? they are cheap enough, and besides the kits usually come with other pieces needed ie. hose extensions.. etc.

Toy_Runner
01-27-2007, 05:02 PM
[stupid]

dont be cheap

MetalMan
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Suspension is always the better choice.

Steve-0
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
well yeah, but if its already lifted chances are the steeing would have to be canged if you lifted it anymore.

MetalMan
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM
By an inch? That's not likely to make the difference.

get stuck
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
dont do the boat roller body lift i thought it was a sweet idea when i had my old bagger toyota most of them are 2 pices and they split down the middle oonce you tightn them.i would say make one out of steel tube or buy a really one i wouls say you should do both a small body lify and a shakle lift a big body lift would looks kinda funny on a jeep good luck [cheers]

Steve-0
01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
it looks kinda shitty when there is a gap between frame and body 2inch and under isnt as noticebale

Chris S
02-10-2007, 07:34 PM
My vote is a 1 to 1.5" GOOD QUALITY body lift and TJ flares. That would let you go up quite a bit in tire size.