PDA

View Full Version : XJ Lighting issues

needamudpit
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I just picked up a 91 XJ and realized i have no brake lights. Running lights work, and backup lights work, turns and 4 ways don't. Fuses have been checked, stop light switch has been checked and there is no power getting to it. Based upon a wiring schematic it seems as though the problem lies somewhere between the fuse box in the engine compartment, and the stop light switch. Just wondering before I tear anything apart if any of you guys have any suggestions, thanks.

Nutbar
01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
All those lights that don't work run through the turn signal switch in the strg colum check and make sure it is plugged in and working and no power to the brake light switch sounds like a fuse check and make sure that the fuses are makeing good contact in the fuse box, the terminals in the fuse box tend to get loose on the fuses. If not check the fuses in the power distribution center under the hood on the passenger fender.

needamudpit
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Yea, Matt from Jeap Thrills had the switch out of the steering column of another jeep, so we just hooked it up to mine and it still didn't work... thank god... I really didnt feel like takin apart the steering column. I checked all the fuses and there's no blown fuses, and theyre all getting power.

Gaybait
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
strange.. i had the same problem.. all i did was bent the fuse contacts up and down so there going different ways for maximum contact on the fuise box

needamudpit
01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
yea, I've conclude that they'res a loss of power in the wiring somewhere between the fuse block in the engine compartment, and the brake light switch, so I just bridged it from the flasher to another fuse straight to the battery, with a fuse link. I've got all my lights back now so we'll have to see how long it lasts me.

Taz Jeep
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I had that problem after a pulled out my factory clock, checked everything to no avail, as soon as I plugged the clock back in the brake lights worked.

Moondog
01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of XJ's. They are renouned for having electrical probs if you wheel them!! Mine does all sorts of wonderful and wierd stuff from stating that I have a full tank of gas then empty then back to full again to driving along at night and have all the electrical system shut off :eek: I usually just beat the shit out of the dashboard and everthing comes back on.