PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs

ry-noj
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
my buddies has a 95 or 96 f250 with the 7.3L and he doesn't know were the glow plugs are hes heard under the intake manifold and under the valve cover but hes not sure were abouts they are can someone point me in the right direction? and also when its really cold like -20 or so his truck will run for a bit then stall even when your driving any reason why this would happen he heard it might be the glow plugs and somthing about a diesel pre heating chamber or somthing like that??

Nutbar
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Don't know about the stalling but I beleive on the powerjokes the glow plugs are under the valve covers a buddy had to do them for the harness in his 95

Toy_Runner
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
the stalling may be air in the fuel lines. once you get a motor running doesnt matter how cold it should stay running

01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Check for a fuel leak even a small one will cause that.

FU Toolbag
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Is it possible the fuel is gelling? my dad likes to run bio and it sucks in the cold.

I think the glow plugs are under the valve covers. Is it computerized. turbo?

Deathtrap
01-22-2007, 10:59 PM
If its stalling its a fuel problem, your fuel filter is either plugged up or your sucking air somewhere. Easy check is the fuel filter, take it off see how it is, they are just a cartridge type filter. If thats not the problem you probably are sucking air in the fuel lines some where, Another easy check is get yourself a can of Ether, while the engine is running goto each fuel line fittings starting at the filter and spray a small amount directly on the fitting, If there is a leak at that fitting you'll hear it in the engine because it will rev-up slightly. DO NOT SPRAY A CRAP LOAD OF ETHER NEAR THE INTAKE OR ON THE FITTING IF THEY ARE LEAKING or else youll get a nice loud bang as everything blows up in your face. As far as where the glow plugs are located they should be in the intake manifold, and they aint cheap to replace, but they are easy to identify, theres obviously 8 of them and they have 1 wire coming out of the top of them, I'd get ya a pic but its to damn dark here to get a decent one.

PowerStroke
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Is it medical grade ether in a can? if so where can i get some?

hahahaha, but seriousely...

4doorShorty
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
stalling problem could be a bad CPS (cam position sensor) Its at about 10 o'clock on the balancer, 10mm wrench will get the bolt out.

Pull the engine cover (DI Turbo diesel black thing), three 13mm cap nuts hold it down. Under it at the front of the engine, just behind the serpentine belt, beside the alternator is an aluminum housing with an electrical sensor on your left (pass side) and a check plug on the right. The plug takes an allen key, if you strip the head out (like I did) make sure you round it right out and pound in a torx bit. With the plug out the oil should be no less than 1" below the top of the res. This is the HPOP resevoir (High Pressure Oil Pump). It sends the high pressure oil to your injectors to do the mechanical part of the injectors job. If its low there could be air in your lines which would create a no fire on the injector.

Check the wiring harnesses that goes under your valve covers, often the insulation on them get eaten or corroded away, which will cause an injector to not fire.

To check the glow plugs, with the key off, disconnect each of the above mention harnesses. There will be 4 wires per clip. The outer two wires of each are the glow plugs. Attach a test light clip to the (+) positive side of a battery and touch each of the outer two terminals on the engine (GP) side of the harness. If the light turns on the glow plugs are at least somewhat working. If no light comes on, the circut isnt complete and the tips of the GP wont heat up.

if you still cant figure it out, I suggest going to thedeiselstop.com or ford-trucks.com and searching their 94.5-97 powerstroke forums for "stalling" as there is more info there than Im willing to type, but hopefully these will give you a start.

ry-noj
01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
right on got half the job done tonight next half tommorow