PDA

View Full Version : 9" L.S.D. question

92SportXJ
01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a Ford 9" out of a 82 or 84 fullsize and wondering how to check for an L.S.D. , I know you check the tag for the "L" between the ratio's but, I think some thing has been changed.
If I spin one wheel clockwise the other one goes counterclockwise but, if I hold one wheel and try and turn the other it wont spin and its like there locked. So now turning the driveshaft and applying friction to both wheels they want to go in the same direction.
Is this an L.S.D. ?
Are there differences between the Tru-Trac and Trac-Loc and do they work different for each other. I know one is clutch style and the other gear.

Christopher

Kinslayer
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a limited slip to me.

ez_b
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
isn't lsd acid?

92SportXJ
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks Kinslayer, it sure seems like to me.

FU Toolbag
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
If I spin one wheel clockwise the other one goes counterclockwise but, if I hold one wheel and try and turn the other it wont spin and its like there locked. So now turning the driveshaft and applying friction to both wheels they want to go in the same direction.
Is this an L.S.D. ?
Christopher

While your holding one tire and try to spin the other, If your not in nutral, it will lock up and not turn.

If it is a limited slip and both tires are in the air, with truck in park and a friend on the other side, you should be able to force the wheels in opposite direction, but they shouldn't freewheel. If they do, sorry, open diff.

tyty_220
01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
LSD is bad for you[16]

92SportXJ
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
While your holding one tire and try to spin the other, If your not in nutral, it will lock up and not turn.

If it is a limited slip and both tires are in the air, with truck in park and a friend on the other side, you should be able to force the wheels in opposite direction, but they shouldn't freewheel. If they do, sorry, open diff.

We had the drive shaft still attached to the pinion and the truck was in park and we turn one wheel clockwise the other went counter clockwise but, as soon as you hold one wheel still and try to turn the other it takes a lot of force to turn like there is a lot of friction.
Then we took the axle out of the truck and turned the pinion by hand and both wheels turn in the same direction.
This to me seems like some sort of traction device.