PDA

View Full Version : HELP! hei hookup...

tenpack
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
got my new engine in and after re-wiring the starter it turns over awesome but its not getting spark. The weatherpark connections seem to be good, anyone have any diagrams or even picstures of theirs hooked up? its a 350 chev.Its got a constant 12v source from the battery. If you know whats wrong gimme a call @ 604-812-1664 looking to have it done tonight.
Thanks

jakerngr
01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
so you have a jumper wire from the batt to the b+ on the hei firing order is right rotor is in you should run
i have had the coil inside shit out on me before twice

tenpack
01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
i've been doing my reading and i need at least a 12 gauge wire from the batt to the disty itself and the wire that is in the truck now is stupid thin so im gonna get a new one tommorow. FIring order is right ( 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) and rotor was pointed towards #1 cyclinder @ TDC. I'm gonna go through it all again tommorow night.

Toyrantula
01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
12g? We used a piece ofspeaker wire to fire the HEI chevieson the pad at the wreckers. Shouldnt need more than a 16g wire for that .

tenpack
01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
12g is what one of the websites FAQ said. The wire is damn thin, im not to good with gauges but its very thin. Im beginning to think the weatherpark connections are the problem, the rest seems to check out.

MetalMan
01-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Anything will get it sparking, but the for the amount of constant current going through it 12g is really the minimum to be safe. I'd have to look at it to see exactly what you've done, but so long as the coil is grounded, the connections under the dust cap are good, and you've got power running to the batt. terminal, it should be sparking...have you tried swapping coils? Are the cap and rotor in good shape? You've got the center electrode put together right?

MetalMan
01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, I've also had problems with the modules themselves. One car I had, they would die intermittantly every couple of months, at which point there was no spark whatsoever. Try getting a spare module and throwing it in...

MetalMan
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing...I know, triple post, fuck it. We're not computer nerds enough to care, I hope. Check the magnetic trigger in the distributor itself...I haven't seen it so much in large cap HEI's, but small cap HEI's are ridiculously fragile and I have seen the teeth literally crumble.

epic3
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
even if the rotor was pointin at #1 TDC you could still be out 180 degrees so make sure your right on that

Nutbar
01-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Oh yeah, I've also had problems with the modules themselves. One car I had, they would die intermittantly every couple of months, at which point there was no spark whatsoever. Try getting a spare module and throwing it in...

[iagree] The ign modules on those are somewhat prone to failure I had one in a camaro of mine that if you hit a good bump it the engine would try to stall changed the module all was good.

tenpack
01-22-2007, 10:13 PM
ok: brand new coil/rotor in. The wiring appears to be a small thin gauge wire from the pos. on the batt to a switch(guessing) then to the batt(B+) fitting on teh distributor. I read on a message board to bypass all this shit and some guy said just runn a wire from the B+ fitting on the disty to the pos. on the battery. THis sounds just reckless to me?

As for the coil ground, this might be the problem. The body of the distributor has a 4 prong weatherpark connection where i cant figure out what it hooks up to, im figuring its obselete?

The trucks wiring is half-asses to say the least, i dont want any faulty or unsafe wiring. Cheers

MetalMan
01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Post pics. Or take it to somebody on the board. I know I can't help much more without seeing what you're talking about. It's just a connector coming out of the distributor? That should plug into the cap...

automan
01-22-2007, 10:27 PM
is the 4 prong connector on the rear of the distributor?
if so thats for electronic spark control

tenpack
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
is the 4 prong connector on the rear of the distributor?
if so thats for electronic spark control

i looks like a 4prong female... I'll double check. I remember some wiring just being disconnnected and whatnot but its just a piss of now.

The truck isnt driveable, im trying to get it running.

Pics will come in daylight.

automan, did you get the propane tank pics?

Nutbar
01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah it sounds like you have the ESC dist you can't use that one with out the conputer for it you need to get an older HEI

automan
01-22-2007, 11:02 PM
i did thanks,,,,,but i'm kinda looking for bigger tanks

tenpack
01-23-2007, 10:42 PM
i went through the whole system today: Wired a new peice from the battery to the switch for the disty, took apart the disty and made sure everything was dry/clean, put cap back on and checked all connections. Took boot off and placed near plug, yet no spark... guess i gotta start buying parts...