PDA

View Full Version : detroit ez locker

youngun
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I got a detroit ez locker from a sami in the rear of my sidekick using the samuri side gears. Now im getting problems.... When I drive it around it will be fine most of the time and then I will push the clutch in and then let it out it will makes a pop nosie and the drivers side tires doesn't spin, it will keep makeing that nosie and usually it will lock in but that is after alot of pops. Sounds like a spring poping out. Sometimes it will just pop and never lock in and sometimes it will lock in a work fine. What could be the problem? I havn't changed the gear oil since I put in it 4 months ago, could it be that? Or maybe the locker isn't shimmed right :dontknow:

thanks

exo_toy
01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
why dont you ask the guy that installed it for ya?:D

youngun
01-20-2007, 12:33 AM
i think im going to get it re shimmed because im pretty sure thats the problem

jeeper
01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Was it a used ezlocker?

Could the springs be worn?

I think the ezlocker is based on the detroit style and if those springs are shot that might be the problem

youngun
01-20-2007, 12:54 AM
ok, well, im pulling it apart as soon as i get ahold of my buddy.

and i did buy it used so the springs might be worn out. Are they expensive?

norm
01-20-2007, 08:30 AM
WELD IT:s30x:

exo_toy
01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
[iagree]

youngun
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
hahaha, not after i already bough a locker

MUD CHILD
01-20-2007, 12:38 PM
WELD IT:s30x:
If the locker is fucked weld it[36]

youngun
01-20-2007, 02:05 PM
it just needs new springs, anyone know where i could get some springs?

kamloopsyota
01-20-2007, 02:16 PM
anyone that carries detroit stuff can order you the springs

youngun
01-20-2007, 02:47 PM
ok, i just went out the pulled the diff oil, i don't think im going to need springs, i think some new diff oil should fix it, it didn't even look like diff oil, looked like old engine oil with dirt, molasis and water mixed together. I'm hoping its the problem.

jeeper
01-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Hopefully you havent rusted out the inside with that contaminated oil !

Check your diffs more often !

Its probably more likley the bad oil then the springs ! Clean the diff out real well with some brakeclean ,, then start out with new oil ad see how if that helps it !

barracuda
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I would check to see if the dog teeth are still intact . The could be very worn on one side so you might want to flip it so you drive side is on the other side of the teeth

Nutbar
01-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I would check to see if the dog teeth are still intact . The could be very worn on one side so you might want to flip it so you drive side is on the other side of the teeth

[iagree]

with the way the EZ locker and Lock Rites work and the shape of the teeth they wear very badly and the symptoms you are describing are the same as when those things wear out, this is why I will never suggest an EZ or Lock Rite for the rear of any vehicle they are not bad in the frt just not in the rear, the constant duty kills em

youngun
01-21-2007, 01:47 AM
so you are saying pull it out and switch the sidegears from side to side? I'm going to try the new oil first and see if that works.

barracuda
01-21-2007, 03:32 AM
you should take it out and inspect the teeth look for broken pins or crack and chips in unit) . if they are only worn on one side (respective drive and driven) you might be able to get some more life out of it by switching the assembly 180deg and running your forward on the the old reverse side of the unit. It wont work effectivly in reverse but you might be able to get some life out of your forward while you save up for a new one. If it is really fubar it would be better to put you original gears back and save yourself the grief till you can get a new one.

youngun
01-21-2007, 07:18 PM
well, if anything is screwed it is probably the samuri sidegears

youngun
01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
well,i pulled the whole rear 3rd out. The only thing im not sure is right is that the pins that go threw the locker, same as in the spider gears, those are all loose and sliding in and out all over the place, is this right?