PDA

View Full Version : ford weight

FU Toolbag
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Anyone out there with a 80-98 ford crew cab who knows their actusl weight of their truck? Not the gvw, but what it weighs unloaded. Preferable a one ton 4x4 psd, but others migh help as well.

girlcrazy_4
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
if you have one just take it to action metals and use ther scale or the one on the side of the highway

FU Toolbag
01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
if you have one just take it to action metals and use ther scale or the one on the side of the highway

I don't have one, I'm building one, sort of, and want a ballpark weight so I can estimate the weights to figure out my carrying capasity and if I have to stick with the rockwell axle or if I can use my d80 rear and still function as I want. with the 70/80 combo I can gvw to 15,000 lbs, whreas with the rockwell I can gvw it to 19,000.

u2slow
01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I have such a truck ('95 F350 PSD crew 4x4)... but I doubt I'll be getting past a scale soon :(

My 2wd Burb diesel is 6000#, and my 4x4 Chevy crew (350 gas, logger box, winch) was 7700#.

How are you figuring to modify the GVWR? You can license for whatever you like (or are willing to put up with in cost/red-tape) but changing the mfr's rating is going to involve an engineer's assessment. IMO, you be better off pieceing the truck together starting with a donor truck (and VIN) that already has the GVWR you are looking for.

FU Toolbag
01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I have such a truck ('95 F350 PSD crew 4x4)... but I doubt I'll be getting past a scale soon :(

My 2wd Burb diesel is 6000#, and my 4x4 Chevy crew (350 gas, logger box, winch) was 7700#.

How are you figuring to modify the GVWR? You can license for whatever you like (or are willing to put up with in cost/red-tape) but changing the mfr's rating is going to involve an engineer's assessment. IMO, you be better off pieceing the truck together starting with a donor truck (and VIN) that already has the GVWR you are looking for.

My 89 chev comes in well under 3,000kg's

By registering it as a ubuilt I can register it for whatever gvw I want, provided the truck will do it and it's components are rated fo that. What would work awsome would be a heavy duty fishscale. I can hang the components and weigh them. Anyone got one that'll weigh 2 tons? Within a pound would be nice, but not needed that accurate, 2 or 3 would work as well.

u2slow
01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Those are the real unladen weights. 2780kg Burb (http://u2slow.gotdns.org:81/84burb/driveway.jpg) and 3500kg crewcab (http://u2slow.gotdns.org:81/v3500/missionmtn.jpg) as weighed on the highway scales. (Can't remember if canopy was on or off :confused0006:) I converted from metric for simplicity.

I have a 2005 Ford flyer (in pdf I can email if you want) that says a F350 DRW crew 4x4 base curb weight is 7014 lbs (base meaning 5.4L?). Some googling shows a 2005 F450 is rated for 16k# GVWR, and its rear axle (Dana 80) is rated for 12k#, front axle (Dana 60) at 7k#.

Registered and licensed GVW are the same thing. I believe MJ on here did a u-built with his Chevy, but I don't recall how the GVWR was established on an amalgamated vehicle. Maybe he'll see this thread and share.

I'm of the impression that if the highway pigs call bullshit on your GVWR claims, its up to you to prove otherwise - and that would be where the manufacturer's specs (door tag), or an engineer's approval is the only thing that can save your butt.

If there's a legit easy way to 'u-build' a truck - I'm all for it. I have some project ideas that never even got of the ground because of the perceived trouble in getting the GVWRs. Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck! [cheers]

4doorShorty
01-18-2007, 01:30 AM
my truck is in the 7500-8000lb range, but about 1200 of that is engine. Theres a thread on FTE Ill look for, are you gas (size?) or diesel?

4doorShorty
01-18-2007, 01:38 AM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/385477-truck-weight.html?highlight=truck+weight if youre gas subtract 600lbs and youll be in the ballpark....

FU Toolbag
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I still have all the tags from the vehicles I'm using for this build, so proving frame strength's ect shouldn't be a problem.

I was surprised awhile ago when I saw a f250 with gvw stickers on the side of it for 11000kg's. This thing was bone stock. A comercial contractors name on the side of it and a lot of hitch points for some real heavy towing.

The guys who are going to be doing my inspection don't have a problem clearing it for whatever weight I'm asking for. I'm wanting to keep it as low as possible, even at 5000kgvw in my chev I pay over $100 road blablabla to the enemy. I'm wanting to keep it around 8-9000kg. My international which has the same size frame, is rated at 11,000kg and it had a no balls gas in her.

jeepingpw
01-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I would never register a truck as "U-Built" again. I did my '52 Chev that was on a '79 frame that I had no regy for. ICBC gave me grief because the frame could have been stolen, couldn't read the serial number on the frame, blah blah blah.
I also had to run it over a comercial scale & bring back the weight. Turns out that the manufacterers rate the actual wieght less than what the truck actually weighs wet.
My small block '52 weighed in almost 800 lbs heavier than my dads '79 F250 4x4 with a 460 in it.
The actual wieght of the vehicle determines the "Licence" fee you pay. So I was paying more than my dad did for his 3/4 ton.

Best to use the VIN on the cab & keep your mouth shut[36]