PDA

View Full Version : timing chain??

moto_chris_85
01-11-2007, 08:30 AM
1985 22re pickup

ok so i was driving my truck in this snow and it was doing fine
then i stoped.. turned it off.. and about 10 minutes later went to start it and heard a clickin (sort of fan rubbing against something sound) in the passenger foot area/dash then went to turn over and she wouldn't start

when i would turn it over she would turn over very quickly but wouldn't start up

i got her towed by bcaa and the guy lokoed inside the oil cap when i turned it over and said that nothing was moving and told me he was pretty sure it was the timing chain.I did a quick spark test by myself but didn't find any spark.

im just wondering if you guys think that could be the problem or there might be something else. The truck has 260 xxx km so im not sure if they generally wear out with the higher kms and im not sure when it was done last. just wondering how hard it is to replace and what my best options are in terms of replacing and where to get one from.

i've heard the whole kits are better then just the chain when replacing

sorry for the newbie questions but i've never done one before and kind of want to try it out

thanks for the help
chris

Toyquad
01-12-2007, 08:23 AM
most likey some valves got bent. so the head may have to come off. although i have seen a few broken chains that didnt bend any vavles. get the whole kit... tensioner, guides chain etc. the chain it self isnt a hard or long job. my first one took me 3.5 hours..... i can do them in 1.5-2hours now.....

deuce
01-12-2007, 11:12 AM
is your engine really a 22re 0r 23r
makes a difference electronicaly
but it does sound timing related
HOW TO
rip off ;valve cover,intake manifold,exhaust manifold,head, crank shaft pully, timing cover and walla the chain is right infront of you, or whats left.
check the timing cover for damage.when mine fucked up it tore the chain guid right off the timming cover and check the bolt hole on top of the timing cover that conects it to the head;thay like to crack.
PSwhen removing the head DONT FORGET about the small bolt in front of the head that conects it to the timing cover!
good luck the first time always takes a while
[cheers] [36] [36] [36] [36]

Toyquad
01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
is your engine really a 22re 0r 23r
makes a difference electronicaly
but it does sound timing related
HOW TO
rip off ;valve cover,intake manifold,exhaust manifold,head, crank shaft pully, timing cover and walla the chain is right infront of you, or whats left.
check the timing cover for damage.when mine fucked up it tore the chain guid right off the timming cover and check the bolt hole on top of the timing cover that conects it to the head;thay like to crack.
PSwhen removing the head DONT FORGET about the small bolt in front of the head that conects it to the timing cover!
good luck the first time always takes a while
[cheers] [36] [36] [36] [36]

dont think i have ever seen a 23r:confused:

deuce
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
you know i meant 22r!

moto_chris_85
01-12-2007, 11:25 PM
well it was the timing chain
the chain broke
didn't have to take off the head yet
trying it another way and no problems so far
will be going to lordco to pick up everything i need all gaskets and such

anything i should look out for when reinstalling everything?

thanks
chris

deuce
01-13-2007, 12:28 AM
trying it another way?
what way?
well if you do take off the head when you re-install
make sure you put ALOT of RVT sealant ontop of the timing cover because the head and timing cover dont line up (the tops are off about an 1/8)
Please let me know the OTHER way

Toyquad
01-13-2007, 08:48 AM
the other way of doing it without taking the head off is to just remove the timming coverand valve cover. thats how i've done my timming chains. how do you know the valves arent bent? just because it wasnt running when the chain broke, doesnt mean you didnt bend any valves while cranking it over........

StillRYE
01-13-2007, 09:26 AM
the other way of doing it without taking the head off is to just remove the timming coverand valve cover. thats how i've done my timming chains. how do you know the valves arent bent? just because it wasnt running when the chain broke, doesnt mean you didnt bend any valves while cranking it over........

Yea it is very likely that you bent at least a couple valves especially if you were cranking it over repeatedly did'nt you hear it rattling around befor eit actually broke? They usually make quite a noise. How did the inside of the timing cover look?

Toy_Runner
01-13-2007, 10:09 AM
might at well take the head off check the valve's. then through a cam in

poostang
01-13-2007, 10:56 AM
ya i got to do the timing chain in my B2 not lookin forward to it all the cylinders are full of gas

deuce
01-13-2007, 10:57 AM
That would be the safe route
better than doin it twice

Gaybait
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
his is a 22re, i havent heard from him in a while but im pretty sure its still broken plus eh doesnt know what hes doing.. he just got a 180sx from japan and blew the turbo in a week.. fawkin guy

deuce
01-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Good Job!

flipper
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
If you want to reduce problems down the road or trail get a good kit that comes with a steal backed chain guid.