PDA

View Full Version : Finally time for construction.

FU Toolbag
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Bin a while collecting parts and comming up with a final plan for a deck truck and the fun has finally started. Here's a couple pix of it.

Separated at last. Some previouse owner had used every type of bolt imaginable to hold the cab down.

Sorry, Fuzzy pic. Gives you a good show of hight tough.

460 thats gone to boyzen. Have fun with it.

Another couple of fuzzy ones. The only thing I'm using from this truck is the cab. Along with the front clip from 440bigorange this cab will work excelent.

Tried again today to get some better pix and they all came out dark, real dark. Will try and screw with the camera tommoroy and get some better pix.

Troy
01-10-2007, 06:33 PM
so you wanna build one of those retardedly lifted truck chassis with a flat deck on top with an umbrella?

FU Toolbag
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
so you wanna build one of those retardedly lifted truck chassis with a flat deck on top with an umbrella?

What does this mean? The imagery is reminisant of pcp.

82F150
01-12-2007, 09:51 AM
i was gunna say you should stop doin crack while your taking pics.. lol

In The Zone
01-12-2007, 10:08 AM
try your camera on auto....... looks like u got a big shop open all the doors and let the light in.....

THE BIG MUDDER
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
hope your craftsmanship is nothing like your pic. taking capabilities jj lol hope truck gets doe soon so I can see more pics but clear ones[cheers]

Troy
01-12-2007, 07:21 PM
What does this mean? The imagery is reminisant of pcp.

well what are you building your said your building a "deck truck" ive seen those huge trucks in video clips that are a truck chassis with a deck on top and railings and you drive around in the mud and drink beer and party on the deck...thats what i thought a "deck truck" was:dontknow:

crimsen
01-13-2007, 12:48 AM
deck truck = the trucks towing companies use to haul your vehicle.

basically a large flatdeck, not sure if okor is making it a tilt and slide one or what, but it should be creative.

Troy
01-13-2007, 01:21 AM
deck truck = the trucks towing companies use to haul your vehicle.

basically a large flatdeck, not sure if okor is making it a tilt and slide one or what, but it should be creative.

ya a flat deck...sorry[wako]

Ditchpig
01-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Lol, looks like you were having a seizure while you took the photos! But other than that it looks cool. Still happening now that you are getting rid of the axle?

FU Toolbag
01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm building a extended crewcab with a 21' flatdeck 4x4 with a d70 front and a rockwell rear. I don't want to use the ford d60 cause it's turning rad. will suck, besides, why not use a d70 when the oportunity presents itself. I was originally planning on joining my 3 ton frame to the original ford frame which would give me the length I wanted but I was worried about the strength. I would also have to widen the 3 ton to match the 1 ton. All in all, more work than I wanted to do for the result.

Right now I have the crewcab frame and the 3 ton frame in the shop, yes it's a big shop now that it's a little cleaner, and with the cab testfited to the 3 ton frame, and the front mounts line up perfectly, I mean perfectly. I'ld swear they were cad designed to fit. I had to use chev rubbers to make it all fit together, but who's counting.

I want to extend the cab by adding a ex-cab back to the crew cab for a couple reasons. First of all, I'm legal to 40', so why not. The cab I have was used to pull animals around and they had their way with the back of the cab, it's fucked. It is beat to hell and need's more love than I'm prepared to give it. Also, with leaving the back wall in place below the level of the back seat it will create an area between the backwalls where I can put in storage areas to keep gear, as well as a nice area to put some subs. I miss my 15's and their comin back. This will also just be different.

The roof is a problem as the crew cab has ribs and the ex doesn't. If I cut the roof at the front of the ribs and move the entire roof to the back of the new cab, yes this means pulling the entire roof pannel except the front 8", and I can put a retractable glass moonroof in that I've had for years and therefore fill the hole from moving the original roof back the 2' for the ex cab. The moonroof is about 2 feet long, so it should all work out.

Unfortunatly with the new cab on the new frame I only have 9' between the back cab and the axle. That would mean 12' of deck past the axle. That'll be ugly and not legal, and 14' with the longer cab. Max it 10' and the ass swing from 10' will be brutal. I'm aiming for 8' behind the axle. So with the longer cab I need to add 6' to the wheelbaseto get my legal 10' and 8' stretch to get my desired 8' overhang. I should be able to build my stretch channels easilly enough but they need to be 4 feet longer than the stretch, allowing for welding overlap.

I'm wanting to build this with only a tilt deck. A slide will weigh a ton as well as having lots of additional hydraulics that I don't want unless needed. With running airbags, I should be able to sink the back and lift the front to accomidate for not having slide. This should accomidate a beter loading angle. I have all the parts I need to build a slide and ít'll be built to axcept it if needed, but it's a last resort. I'm also building it so the deck rides as low as possible. I don't know why all these deck trucks have the truck frame ridins way over the axle, then several inches for the slide, then the deck rails, then the deck stringers. The deck is level with my chest on some of these. My deck is being built to cradle the frame and the rear suspension should sink right down. I even have a couple smaller hydraulic cylinders I might use if I can sink it way down but need some more lift to drive on the street. Use the hydraulics to lift over the bags.

The deck that I've designed is actually sectional. I've formed it out of 14' long peices for the structual deck surface. Ther are 2-14' sides and 2-7' sides. When the're all put together it'll be 21'x8'4". I can start by building the 14' section first and not streching the frame but I will have to pull the whole truck apart again later when I want to lenghten the deck. I Don't like the prospect of that and it'll be much easier to just do it right the first time.

With the frame in it's present state I will be able to cut and weld it all, even flip it as needed, makes much beter welds that way. I'm going to need to do some custom driveshafts, so why do it twice.

All in all, should be one hell of a truck. Should make family vacation alot better as well.

I'll try and get some beter pix. No I'm not cracking out there. There is only one real door on my shop and it's frozen open.

Troy
01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
so your gonna add an ext. cab and weld it to the existing crew cab to gain like another 2 feet of cab space right? and just extend the frame to compensate

FU Toolbag
01-13-2007, 11:05 PM
so your gonna add an ext. cab and weld it to the existing crew cab to gain like another 2 feet of cab space right? and just extend the frame to compensate

no, I'm adding 2 feet to the cab and 8 feet to the frame.

HEAVY METAL
01-13-2007, 11:16 PM
isnt a d70 a d60 with factory 35 spline outers?

FU Toolbag
01-13-2007, 11:22 PM
isnt a d70 a d60 with factory 35 spline outers?

It uses the same gears and centersection but the id of the tubes is tinny, and the outers are 35 spline with heavier outers as well.

HEAVY METAL
01-13-2007, 11:25 PM
so how does that affect the turning rad.?.......

FU Toolbag
01-14-2007, 09:49 AM
so how does that affect the turning rad.?.......

The d60 has a 34" spring to spring mount. The ford d60 has over 40" between the springs. This allows the d70, with the taller tires, to turn sharper, without hitting the springs. I want to go airbags in front, but with leaf springs already there, I'll just leave it as is for now. The d70 is also a pass drop so I won't have to put in a seperate divorced t-case to get the shaft to the driverside. 2 cases would be nice, but don't need the gearring or the weight.

Big Mitch
01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
cool truck

FU Toolbag
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I took a bunch of pics today and this is the only one that turned out.

I slapped some 2x6's together to mock up the deck length. Dam this thing is long. 13 feet of truck and 21 feet of deck, it's huge. and that's without the extended cab part. I'm having second thoughts about that part right now.

At least I figured a way today that I can get the length I want and I don't have to cut the frame at all. Also with the "mock deck" I was able to check the final angle with that much deck hanging out, no slide will be requied. Also, finally figured out my gear ration, 6:73 I beleive. haven't found a set to match it for the d70, not sure I will either. Fortunatly I have 2 more rockwells to check out. It would have been too easy otherwise.

FU Toolbag
01-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Finally got out to the ranch again today. Not much time but at least I got something done today. We had a little snowthe past week. This i a tire track from the weekend.

A clearer shot of the front of the new frame and axle. Gotta mahe a better bumper, but what do you expect from a e-uhaul. Springs and all line up perfectly with the new front axle. All I need now is a crossover steering arm orfiguresomething else out. I was checking out the ford d60 and I'm thinking that it's stearing might fit in there quite nicely. The articulation will suck as a result, but that shouldn't affect what the truck is designed for.

A couple sideshots. If you can folow the wood all the way back, that's what's left of my mockup deck. Dam it's gonna be long. Still have to move the axle back, a longway back.

A shot of the back of the rockwell. I might have to go with my d80 instead unless I can find the gearing for the front. Anyone got some 6:72 d60 gears kickin round? I can still run the 19.5 tires I have for them though, not the ones in the pix, with a set of 8 bolt rims I've had for years, just got to machien out the centers a bit.

For those missing the fuzzy pix, here's one for you.

I don't know why this one came out fuzzy as well, but it's better than the other one. The motor has bin dropped in to start checkin fitment. Looks good so far Nowto make some mounts. Sould get them mocked up tommorow. I gotta keep the motor as low as possible to kee the c of g down so this will be one fun job. It's sitting on a bar running across the spring right now so it'll be 5-6 inches higher than it is here.

jeeper
01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I may have missed it and am o lazy to go back into the posts --this is an interesting ride -what are you going to be using it for?

All that carrying capacity and length do you have a use for it?

FU Toolbag
01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I may have missed it and am o lazy to go back into the posts --this is an interesting ride -what are you going to be using it for?

All that carrying capacity and length do you have a use for it?

Tow truck. It'll be the only 4x4 decktruck that I know of in town, and als good for vacation to moab with kids and all.

jeeper
01-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Thats an interestin project for sure !

Keep the pics commin (hopefully not all fuzzy)

Looks like youve got lots of work ahead of you !

longhorn
01-20-2007, 11:01 AM
What kind of motor is that your using?

tenpack
01-22-2007, 07:39 AM
im hoping a cummins, but his photography skills are too artsy to be sure...

I do see a turbo, n i remember him talked about em before.

EDIT- hes got a VE pump't cummins. [5]

FU Toolbag
01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Had to do some more mocking up today. Found out a small problem.With the cab where is is, my front axle is sitting 4" forward of center in the fenders. I have bin toying with the idea of making a longer fiberglas front clip for it, but I know the motor will fit in the engine bay without any stretch. The rear mounts will wind up on a crossmember, but not as idal as could be. Simplest solution, cut the body mounts off of the frame andmove them forward 4". This will also give me 4 more inches free for the deck. Got my plans figured out for he motor mounts, and now with it all mocked up, it's time to pop the cab and mount the motor properly ad move the cab mounts. With some luck, the motor and cab will be ho and done by tommorow night. I was going to use some pipe and put in some pretty bends to accomplish this, but my pipe bender just squished em. Exo-toy tried his, better, but not great, and took forever to do 1 bend. Thanks for the try though. Gave minakee a shot and it came out totally crap. So now we make with some 2x4x.250 hss.

And yes, it's a cummins.

Here's the "extra" 4" I'm gonna play with. I like have'n an extra 4"

Tranny sits in there quite nicely.

Pas side mount. Motor has to me pushed over 3 inches, but still lots of room. hould even be able to have stock ac compressor where it belongs.

jakerngr
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
si it is going to be like a 4x4 crew cab version of wayne stone's truck??

HillBillyLincoln
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Looks like a ton of work, but will be the ultimate rig when finished.

FU Toolbag
01-24-2007, 08:16 PM
si it is going to be like a 4x4 crew cab version of wayne stone's truck??

Yep, just bigger. His deck is 19' and aluminum. Mine 21' and steel. Mine should come in at a lot less $$$ than his did. I was looking at buying that truck he's running now. He put a load of work and coin into it to start.

Big Mitch
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
looks like a fun project
hope the best