PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Punch my Wiring in the Face

Ditchpig
01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, I've managed to "kinda" get my '79 Toy going and I've been having a hard time getting the gremlins out of my wiring system. I have one headlight that stays dimmer than the other ( weird orange glow, like a streetlight that just came on) turn signals dont work (switch in the steering column?), and my tail lights dont come on when I press the brake pedal. As for the signals, the hazards work so I'm assuming that I should replace the steering column mechanism. Other than that I'm stumped! Anyone have any of the other problems and know a tip or two? Thanks! :party0010:

Tmax
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
start by making sure everthing is grounded nicely.

G-rizzle Swank
01-04-2007, 10:18 PM
must be a ground problem. make sure the one that attaches to the back cross member above where the tire carrier goes, that will fuck up your lights asap

lizard
01-05-2007, 04:57 PM
yah dim = bad ground ,try running a ground from the light plug then u know for sure

""my tail lights dont come on when I press the brake pedal"" = I hope they dont!!

You mean brakelights , check the switch at the pedal, then work backwards

Hazards & turns arnt always on same circuit / it may have 2 flashers, swap them an see if it works /check fuse/ for power at fuse box/ power to column, pretty rare to have a signal switch die

deuce
01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
had the same problem the only thing that worked was new wires
and a very well sanded down grounding point.
hope it helps

Ditchpig
01-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Ya I meant brakelights. I'm an electrician and I dont normally deal with DC on vehicles :( ! Thanks for the tips guys and I'll have to get out there sometime today and start trying out some of your tips. As far as the brakelights go I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new switch, but I'll check the ground that G-Rizzle told me about and directly ground the headlight and see if that's the problem. The Wiring should be okay, because I redid anything that looked bad, must have missed something along the way. I also had the pins for the gas guage rot off (the ones on the tank), is there anything I can do about that (aftermarket part?), or do I live with a non functioning gas guage? Thanks for all the help!

deuce
01-06-2007, 11:25 AM
wreckers or aftermarket sae part
i dont think there is a kit

lizard
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
hardwire & eliminate the plug

mountain man
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Wiring always give me the worst headaches! I think next time I do mine I'm going to start fresh with a Painless kit!