PDA

View Full Version : Jeep failing aircare

Lynx
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Okay this is starting to tick me off. I got this jeep (88 wagonner lmited 4.0L)from the island so it didn't have aircare when I got it. Here are the readings.

Driving HC Driving CO Driving NOx Idle HC Idle CO
297 ppm 7.20 % 129 ppm 300 ppm 9.99 %

I've gone through 3 times. First time, I just failed. I replaced the 02 sensor and changed oil, added fuel injector cleaner. Went and failed a second time. Right after I noticed the connector for the coolant temperature sensor was unpluged and a new looking blue one was attached. I figured out the previous owner just unpluged the original wire and plugged in the one for the guages he added. If I'm correct the jeeps computer uses reading for ECT sensor to adjust fuel/air ration and timing on startup, at least thats what my manual says. I plugged the original lead back in and I thought the engine ran better so I went again and failed.

Over the 3 times I went through the emisions got slightly worse each time. go fuck yourself

The engine has a new cat, egr, o2, oil, and air filter. :dontknow:

I was thinking maybe a vacumm leak? Something to do with the speed density system? It's obviously a fuel trim issue, running way too rich, but it drives fine. Anytime I start it up it cranks for little while longer than a normal car does, but it always starts.

If anybody has had any experience like this or any other ideas as to what else I can try please let me know!

pumpkin
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Co is thrugh the roof so its not a vacume leak. It is running wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooo rich. if the cts and the o2 are good I'ld be looking for somthing like leaking injectors, preasure regulator or possably charcole canister. Oh ya and with that much fuel going thruogh the cat its probably toast now.

Lynx
01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
crap.....I'm giving up and taking it to the garage tommorow then. I didn't think a charole canister could screw with emissions that much. I'm just surprised the engine runs so good, and still has power running so rich, no smoke at all either.

Maybe the cats just junk.

Nutbar
01-02-2007, 10:25 PM
The O2 may be new but did you check to see if it worked and it might not be working due to no fault of itself they are also prone to the O2 heater relay failing which will not heat up the O2 so it will not work properly.

Lynx
01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I'll let them know at the garage to check it with the oscilliscope, thanks

Kinslayer
01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
4L's start slow. Just how the motor is. took like a good 5 cranks to catch, where as my sprint fires up on basically the first crank - Maybe that's because it is a distant cousin to one of those gas powered golf carts, but who knows.

Lynx
01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Ok thanks, I just dropped it off at the shop....now to wait for the damage.

Pudge
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
keep us posted if you can, I have the same problems and failed twice. Mine goes to Jeap Thrills on Sat.

Lynx
01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
for sure, no problem. Should be done by tonight or tommorow

Lynx
01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Just got the call....looks like it needs a new computer :(

He said theirs no voltage comming from the computer or something b/c the scanner doesn't respond at all when he plugs it in. He said he has a parts truck at home and he wants $400 for the computer. That jeep is a standard, think it matters?

Pudge
01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
runs and drives good, just failed aircare, and it is a computron?? sounds weird, but I don't know shit. Hope that isn't my problem. Call Matt at Jeap Thrills, see what he thinks, there isn't anything Jeep they haven't seen or fixed before.

Lynx
01-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Ya that's what I was thinking, but he said the fuel injectors are being told to spray 4x the amount they should be. Can't get any codes out of the computer, but it runs and drives fine being so rich. He said he'll try a few othet things first but thats most likely it.

Pudge
01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
SHIT, SOUNDS LIKE WHAT MINE IS DOING, LOL ...arrgghh stupid caps locks

Nutbar
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Call Matt at Jeap Thrills 604 465 5559 to bring it by to see us. I haven't hardly ever run into those things needing a computer. We should have some testers there as well to confirm for sure if it needs one. We are in Maple Ridge so not to far for ya.

Lynx
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Ya I tried calling at 4 30 today, but no answer I'll try again tommorow if I get off work early enough.

Do you know if the computer off a standard will work with my auto?

Steev
01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Unless the shop has the special scanner for the renix fuel injection system they will not get anything out of it.

The RENIX (1987 - 1990 4.0) system also does not store codes.

Nutbar
01-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah it can get very busy around the shop and today our other counter guy wasn't in so Matt was the only phone guy.There is only a few different computers for the Renix system most of the numbers sub to each other and the auto has it's own computer so some of the standard computers will work.
The Renix system does store codes you just need a good scanner to work with the system.

cruizer
01-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Unless the shop has the special scanner for the renix fuel injection system they will not get anything out of it.

The RENIX (1987 - 1990 4.0) system also does not store codes.

you dont need a scanner too check pulse width;)

Nutbar
01-03-2007, 11:02 PM
There is also many reasons why the pulse width could be wrong and most of them don't involve replacing the computer.

cruizer
01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
very true but all of them end up at the computer and it in the end controls the pulse width.....just dont see what all the fuss is Ive changed tons of computers due to there failure:cool:

Nutbar
01-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Most people don't know or understand the Renix injection and commonly misdiagnose problems with them, I cannot count how many customers I have gotten and repaired driveabillity problems with Renix that others could not find or diagnosed wrong and in 20 years of working on these things I can count on both hands how many computers I have had replace

Lynx
01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey Pudge, I just found this page that may be of use to you http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

In The Zone
01-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like it is Not the comp.... if itis running fine and seems to be rich at all times i would say that some other signal required by the computer to lean it out is not getting received...

why do people always assume the most expensive part /or the easiest to get at is the issue? do yoour home work and dig some..

Paul Jeep thrills will fix ya up no problem... they have always come through for me... and Lucy fucking passed air care with 0 emmisions in 2 catagories.. the guy at aircare almost shit himself....

Pudge
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Paul Jeep thrills will fix ya up no problem... they have always come through for me... and Lucy fucking passed air care with 0 emmisions in 2 catagories.. the guy at aircare almost shit himself....

You bet Danno, I have been waiting to get in there, had to make sure I had some chinga. I want it done right the first time. I'm sure there are other shops out there that could possibly help, but I believe this is my best answer. I can't afford to pay twice, and I'm sure there ain't nuttin' Jeep related they ain't seen already.

Throttle1982
01-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Try a bottle of CLEANS Engine Combustion Chamber cleaner from Chrysler, its $7 and works like a charm everytime for me! :)

Lynx
01-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Yep, it was the computer. I'm going through again today at lunch, and it should pass no problem.

In The Zone
01-09-2007, 09:57 AM
You bet Danno, I have been waiting to get in there, had to make sure I had some chinga. I want it done right the first time. I'm sure there are other shops out there that could possibly help, but I believe this is my best answer. I can't afford to pay twice, and I'm sure there ain't nuttin' Jeep related they ain't seen already.

Not only that but they are 2mins from aircare... they got a analyzer to check everything before u go.... same shit aircare reads....:cool: