PDA

View Full Version : U joints and yokes problems..

Troy
12-31-2006, 08:51 PM
k heres the deal, i gotta a 1977-ish Ford F250 4x4, has no driveshafts, I took driveshafts from my other truck (1979 Ford F250 4x4) and the rear shaft wont bolt in properly because the rear dana 60 has a larger than stock Yoke on it. I unbolted the yoke (it was chipped anyways and i have an exact spare) and I was wondering if i can get either a combination U joint with 2 different sizes or can I just buy the proper sized yoke?

tenpack
01-01-2007, 04:31 PM
from what i understand, it sounds like you need a conversion u-joint? As in the ujoint from your 77 is too small and the yoke on your 79 is a larger than stock?

If so, im not too familiar with fords but i know they make conversion ujoints for chevy 10 bolts to 14 bolts. im sure they make em for dana axles. I'd bring it what peices you can, ie:) yoke, ujoints and see what napa can do. Oh, the conversion joints are from napa.Never heard of one from lordco.

Hope that helps

davidrm
01-01-2007, 04:49 PM
conversion u joints are avalable at lordco but you have to find someone there that cares to learn ther job!

Troy
01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
ya the previous owner didnt really know what he was doing, but he said he replaced the rear end cause he blew the other one, this being said he swapped in another dana 60 but it had a larger yoke size than stock, and he put his driveshaft in it and was doing donuts in his field and the shaft blew out, so he blew the shaft out cause the u joint was too small for the yoke he had in there, so i have the right sized yoke but its on my 1979 rear end and i cant get the nut off, so ill just have to buy one from lordco or get a conversion u joint from napa like you guys said, thanks

89Ford
01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
i get mine from wakefeild... just bring the joint in somewhere, thell measure it, and find one accourding to what you need...or at least they did for me, maby i just lucked out, but they had one that workerd for me, different application, but same deal as i needed one to fit 2 different size yokes

Troy
01-01-2007, 08:14 PM
wheres wakefield at? sounds familiar

4Lo
01-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Wakefield Sperling South Fraser Way in Abbotsford.

Maelthra
01-27-2007, 09:20 PM
I just went to lordco and asked for a U-joint that was so wide on one side, and so wide on the other, with whatever sized caps when I changed the yoke on my 9".

Troy
01-27-2007, 09:51 PM
ya thats called a conversion joint, but i solved my problem about a month ago thanks anyways