PDA

View Full Version : Cummins performance suggestions

zedr2eh
12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Recently picked up a 2001 RAM 2500 for a work/play truck and was just curious as to what performance mods you guys would recommend? It's got the 24V H.O. 6 spd.
We're thinking a mild lift at some point but right now performance is of interest. What are the popular mods? Programmers, injectors etc etc, most bang for the buck?

Thanks
Jordan:)

tenpack
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
fuel pressure gauges, EGT gauges and boost should be the first thing you buy. If you arent going to get these, expect trouble.

Second, that truck has a VP44 injection pump which are known for failing when mod'd. I would be hesitant to try heavily mod the pump/fuel system.

After the gauges, get a larger exhaust and dont forget the downpipe. 4'' should be plenty

Second, i would get an intake. Shy from K&n.

Thirdly, i would look into a mild programmer.

Fourth, look into a south bend clutch if needed.

Dieseljeep
12-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Talk to Peirs at Peirs Diesel Resaearch, he has lots o` stuff to make some wicked power and more reliable. He can make you enuff TQ to pull the house off the foundation and enuff Hp to emabarass a few people.

zedr2eh
12-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys!
Gauges were definitely something I had considered, heard this was a good starting point. As far as intake and exhaust, you say shy from K&N? So that leaves Banks, Airaid...? What names are you liking? And as far as the exhaust is this something that is cheaper to have made by a shop or should I be looking for a pkg?

[cheers]

Tmax
12-31-2006, 12:02 PM
i have an airaide on my 03 and its pretty good. cheap too. there are many brands out there and most are not bad.

as for power you have to ask what you wanna do with your truck. all i did was the edge EZ and the filter kit and i'm very happy with the performance. keeps up with trafick and makes any hill no problem.

good call on the 6 speed.

zedr2eh
12-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm definately impressed with the truck stock, I don't think anything less than a 6 spd would suffice however. We won't be using the truck for any real heavy hauling, mostly just pulling a few quads and camping/work stuff. Can't resist modding it a bit:D

Tmax
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
yap you dont need to go crazzy with the mods unles that's what you're into. a simple chip and air intake will wake it up and makes for much nicer driving truck.

tenpack
12-31-2006, 08:25 PM
aFe is a very popular among diesel guys as far as intakes go, better quality and good flow. Most hardcore diesel guys will make fun of banks, my buddy runs a lot of their stuff and he doesnt have any issues with their products.

zedr2eh
01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Nutbar
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
[iagree] with the rest a chip upgrade and air intake and exhaust are a real help with these things the intake and especially the exhaust can help with the longevity of the engine by freeing up the restricted air flow it will help lower egt's which is a real killer of the work horse deisels and the chip just lets it get the most potentiall of the extra air flow now available

Frenchtoast
01-03-2007, 08:57 PM
well i put bullydog tripple dog or pup 650.00 in mine brute force intake 300.00 and 5" stainless magnaflow exaust 700.00 or 4 '' is great to and it goes like hell
i think but thats all i would do unless you want to race it k[cheers]

Tmax
01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
well i put bullydog tripple dog or pup 650.00 in mine brute force intake 300.00 and 5" stainless magnaflow exaust 700.00 or 4 '' is great to and it goes like hell
i think but thats all i would do unless you want to race it k[cheers]

hey pat where did you purchase your magnaflow from?

Frenchtoast
01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
lucas at lordco dude[cheers] ask him if you can get the same deal i got
or i'll go with ya to talk to him k

Tmax
01-03-2007, 09:22 PM
lucas at lordco dude[cheers] ask him if you can get the same deal i got
or i'll go with ya to talk to him k

thats awsome. thanks man. sounds like a great deat. for that kinda money you cant afford not to get it.
[cheers]

Zukbuilder
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I just bought a 2006 Cummins, and have put on a 5" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust with the Airaid intake system on it. The truck just honks:eek:

sj-x 500
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
gauges, exhaust, programer. in that order.

shitty thing about the 01's is that you can't get the PDA style where you can swap on the fly, moniter egt, boost, etc, so you need the manual gauges.

also if you plan on keeping it, get a auto starter with a turbo timer option. just lets it idle for 2-5 minutes after you stop to let the turbo cool down, helps to save the turbo if you forget that you were just floggin on it on the highway and decide to turn it off.

tenpack
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
gauges, exhaust, programer. in that order.

shitty thing about the 01's is that you can't get the PDA style where you can swap on the fly, moniter egt, boost, etc, so you need the manual gauges.

also if you plan on keeping it, get a auto starter with a turbo timer option. just lets it idle for 2-5 minutes after you stop to let the turbo cool down, helps to save the turbo if you forget that you were just floggin on it on the highway and decide to turn it off.

the reason for this is to prevent turbo-coking. Basically, your turbo is oil lubricated and if you've been running your truck good and its got hot, if you shut it down right away without letting it idle for a couple minutes the hot oil stays in the turbo and breaks down with the heat. Bad, can clog up the oil passage ways leading to turbo failure. To combat this, the truck idles for a while to circulate the oil.

sj-x 500
01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
was just lookin on peirsdiesel.com, and for around a g-note you can get a set up with all the gauges built in and the programer

bigorange440
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I just bought a 2006 Cummins, and have put on a 5" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust with the Airaid intake system on it. The truck just honks:eek:

hell the new ones go good stock...the one i drove was 100% stock and would just cook the tires...im sure yours go like stink now...

Zukbuilder
01-21-2007, 08:24 AM
hell the new ones go good stock...the one i drove was 100% stock and would just cook the tires...im sure yours go like stink now...

Ya it does. Cant resist putting on a couple mods, Plus it sounds real nice with a 5" pipe