PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Carrier bearing preload??

bakelite
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Got the rear end set up nice, good contact and all just not sure of how much shim to add to the carrier bearings for the right preload. Set it up with no side movement, centered nice and added .00125 to each side, think this is good? [cheers] Ford 8.8, 410's, Detroit. Thanks. :)

In The Zone
12-29-2006, 01:11 PM
when i did mine Joe 8.8 and detroit same thing

funny thing is once i had my backlash set up checked my pattern it was perfect 1st time with the oem shims.... go figure.... should be good and tight going in... if u shim to much to either side you will move your pattern

the only other thing i checked was the required torque to rotate the pinion

only because i used new crush sleeve and bearings as well. depth set up perfect when initial torque was applied

boyzen
12-29-2006, 02:23 PM
I always do the the set up so it goes in easy with nop side play and then add 5 thou to each side for preload

bakelite
12-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks.....I was thinking I needed more shims for the side play but 5 thou, I dunno if I can get that in there. :confused0006:

I'm using all new stuff too, used a donor(new also) brg to set up the pinion, first try was just right hopefully when I torque it with the crush sleeve it stays the same. I had nothing to start with as I bought an empty diff, I couldn't find one with 410's so didn't want the rest, should have got the guy to leave the pinion shims but I got lucky on that. [36]

Nutbar
12-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I always do the the set up so it goes in easy with nop side play and then add 5 thou to each side for preload
[iagree]
That is usually how I set em up too[cheers]

bakelite
12-31-2006, 11:24 AM
ok boys, thanks, gotta take it apart anyway so 5 thou preload it shall be, just wanted to ask the experts and be sure....[36] [cheers]