PDA

View Full Version : Removing Leafs on XJ

girlcrazy_4
12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I got a new pair of leafs for the 1990 Xj, but I cant get the old ones off. I was able to unbolt the rear diff, sway bar etc... but the bolt that holds the leaf onto the frame rails (closest to front of vehicle) I cant get undone. I had a 3foot breakerbar on it and still nothing. Idea's? I've gotta get the leafs off as they have "unpacked" themselves

DirtyComanche
12-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Is it spinning or can you just not turn it?

Do a crappy tire rental on an electic impact (go buy one, use it, take it back saying it's the wrong thing).

Nutbar
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
you have to be carefull with those bolts the bolt can sieze in the nut that is welded into the frame then the nut can break free (then you are really screwed) best bet (what I usually do) pull the carpet up in frt of the rear seat then take an oxy acet torch and from underneath there is a hole in the frame just behind the spring hanger stick the torch in it and heat up the nut carefully watching that you don't catch anything up top on fire, while hot try and remove the bolt.

T.O.
12-28-2006, 09:33 PM
you have to be carefull with those bolts the bolt can sieze in the nut that is welded into the frame then the nut can break free (then you are really screwed) best bet (what I usually do) pull the carpet up in frt of the rear seat then take an oxy acet torch and from underneath there is a hole in the frame just behind the spring hanger stick the torch in it and heat up the nut carefully watching that you don't catch anything up top on fire, while hot try and remove the bolt.

Wow, You do know all the inside iggy's.:D

kootenaycat
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Nutbar has it right. The hidden nut on my XJ spun, so I made 3 small cuts and opened a "door" to access it with a wrench. Closed the door up again and a couple of quick welds.

rs9000
12-29-2006, 01:35 AM
we had to cut through the leaf and rubber on my xj now thats fun fire and molten rubber but try nut bars way

Dieseljeep
12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
[stupid] I did it the wat Kootney cat did it ,both are similar and with great results.

lizard
12-29-2006, 10:52 AM
and use anti-seeze when you put it all back together

heavyhopper
12-29-2006, 04:32 PM
try that nitrolube stuff let it sit over night shit works wonders

Chewtoy
12-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Seems to be a big problem with those...I've stripped the threads right off trying to get that bolt out.... tacked the bolt back in and ran.

Taxidermy
01-01-2007, 11:39 PM
[iagree] [iagree] [iagree]