PDA

View Full Version : I.D.ing diff ratio

kamloopsyota
12-24-2006, 11:28 PM
does anyone kn wof the site that showed you how many turns of the d-shaft equaled the gear ratio you had, or know how to identify the ratio without pulling the diff??

tenpack
12-24-2006, 11:43 PM
put the axle on jack stands, mark a peice of tap at exactly 12oclock on the tire and drive shaft. Count how many turns of the driveshaft it takes for the tire to make 1 full revolution.

Ex:If the driveshaft moves 4 and a half turns, you have 4.56's.

Now, im not too familiar with toy gears, but i think they came with 4.37 and also 4.10s so that would be a bit tricky since thats roughly a 1/4 of a turn of the dshaft.

tenpack
12-24-2006, 11:47 PM
heres it off randys:

What gear ratio do I have?
Jack up one tire if you have an open diff, or both tires if you have a working posi or locking differential. Rotate the tire one full revolution for posis and lockers and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3 turns, you probably have a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.

kamloopsyota
12-25-2006, 12:02 AM
awesome, thanks guys