PDA

View Full Version : Engine Upgrade ?

TimHortonsAddict
12-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a 83 GMC Jimmy. As of about 4 hours ago it had 91 running gear, a 4.3 L V6. Now... it is toast and not even here.

Assuming I ever get the damn thing home, would any one have any suggestions for a different type of engine?

Would a 350 fit in it? I just want this for off-roading, gas mileage doesn't matter so much to me.

I've got a cherry picker brand new jusssst waiting to be used LOL (Need the engine of course)

Any ideas on what to put in it?

hodge
12-24-2006, 08:18 PM
is it a full size? or s10 style

MetalMan
12-24-2006, 08:28 PM
is it a full size? or s10 style

4.3L V6...it's a Jiminy.

Man there are many kits out there to put a SBC in, you'll have to consider the extra abuse it will dish out to the driveline though. But a V8 in that thing is totally doable. It will cost money though, as all things do.

tenpack
12-24-2006, 10:38 PM
the 4.3L is a fairly strong motor. Big cubes for a v6, they can be built decent. I'd run an performance intake, headers, cam and see where that gets you. Saves money for an adaptor kit, plus less fab work.

TimHortonsAddict
12-25-2006, 12:20 AM
4.3L V6...it's a Jiminy.

Man there are many kits out there to put a SBC in, you'll have to consider the extra abuse it will dish out to the driveline though. But a V8 in that thing is totally doable. It will cost money though, as all things do.

I figured a V8 would be doable. Would obviously have to get a different tranny, and possibly a stronger rear-end ? (D60?)

I've never done any big time work on it though so it will be a challenge... A friend of mine got a D60 from pick-a-part for 150.00 said it was a pain in the ass to get out though and extremely heavy...

I wouldn't mind a solid axle in the front either... IFS is [35]

Guess I'll look around for a new motor come January [36]

TimHortonsAddict
12-25-2006, 12:21 AM
the 4.3L is a fairly strong motor. Big cubes for a v6, they can be built decent. I'd run an performance intake, headers, cam and see where that gets you. Saves money for an adaptor kit, plus less fab work.

I pulled a full size Chevy on 39's up a hill with a winch cable in this little thing... had so much tork i did a frickin wheely. They do have balls for a V6...

MetalMan
12-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey man, you could do a solid axle 1/2T driveline easily in that thing. Even 3/4T (for Chev, either a 10-bolt or D44 up front and a 14-bolt ff rear). You'll need some fab tools and skills though, obviously. Throw some 36's at it and she'd hold up fine, since the truck is so light.

tenpack
12-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I pulled a full size Chevy on 39's up a hill with a winch cable in this little thing... had so much tork i did a frickin wheely. They do have balls for a V6...

Yeah, they got some grunt. I cant justify putting in a bigger engine when the stocker does fine. Now the ifs is another story. Ditto on what metal man said, 8 lug 44/14bolt ff is a awesome combo, easy to come by and pretty stout. THe 14bolt is cheap, readily available, strong and doesnt take much to run without issues on big tires.

trailburban
01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
i've got a running 350 with a t400 tranny available (tranny rebuilt by Accurate recently).
already pulled from truck (85/86 burb)
I think its going for $500 for both.

TimHortonsAddict
01-07-2007, 03:08 AM
i've got a running 350 with a t400 tranny available (tranny rebuilt by Accurate recently).
already pulled from truck (85/86 burb)
I think its going for $500 for both.

Might be interested in a couple of weeks if you still have them? How does the motor run?

Shoot me a message [cheers]

trailburban
01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
good, it was in a daily driver but buddy did a frame swap and got a spare motor and trany our of it.
still got it. lemmi know and i'll get you some details.

Kinslayer
01-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd leave the stock motor in. You are gonna have to do a shitload of work to make that unit hardcore - I'd say leave the big V6 and ditch the IFS.

get stuck
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
i whould say stay with the v6 and get rid of the ifs for sure

MetalMan
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Mild V8 won't hurt much. And the torque is excellent on trails.

Kinslayer
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Mild V8 won't hurt much. And the torque is excellent on trails.

Yeah, but it wouldn't HELP much either.

MetalMan
01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Sure it helps, how does more power and torque everywhere in the powerband not help???

Toy_Runner
01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
broken axles, transfer tranny d-shafts.....................

Kinslayer
01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, bigger motor helps. We all know that. But, when it is a huge project with huge expense it doesn't help ENOUGH.

TimHortonsAddict
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, bigger motor helps. We all know that. But, when it is a huge project with huge expense it doesn't help ENOUGH.

Hey, I'm not rich by any means... as a matter of fact I'm as broke as piss on a plate... have been looking at a lot of jobs lately (Have been offered quite a few) I'm just trying to find the right one.

I know my engine isn't ceased. I put a socket on my crankshaft and it turns nicely (at least my friends said that's how I would tell?) so that's good news.

If I could build the V6 up and figure out what exactly the initial problem was that would be fine. But ultimately I do want to scrap the IFS, and throw better axles on front to back. A new transfer case etc would be good to.

I don't really have all of the tools for a job like this (well except the transfer case) and I've never done it before... so I assume I would need to get help from friends...

I think every one on here would agree the only way to learn how to fix or swap a motor would be to dive in and figure it all out hands on...

As for it being a huge expense... that's OK seeing as i would probably be buying a part or two every pay cheque...

That 350 and Tranny sounds extremely tempting though... definitely going to look into it.

hamsterman
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I know this is a bit late but if your jimmy came with a 4.3 in it you can bolt a 350 right on to it no need to change the trannny.......i think your tranny has to be 700 r4 too my buddy has swapped a couple of these and hes done it for under a couple hundred totatly swapped and running again. if you dont have a lift though it gets pricey for the oil pan i think its 800 or somethin for the new one at part store cuz of the cross member or front diff i don't remember.....:dontknow: