PDA

View Full Version : couple quick questions: engine/head related

tenpack
12-24-2006, 04:37 PM
some idoit questions

Im switchen over my edelbrock performer intake off my old engine into my new one and the center exhaust passage is really heavy in a 1/4''coat of carbon deposit. How do i clean this off?

Second, I've got what looks to be a roughly 3/4'' hole tapped into my 305HO heads on the both sides: back left and front left. whats it for? It appears to be a tapped hole into the coolant passageways?

Thanks for the time helping a beginner[cheers] Merry xmas

m j
12-24-2006, 06:14 PM
the hole is for temp sender if it is on the exhaust side

tenpack
12-24-2006, 06:49 PM
they are both on the exhaust side. I beleive i already have a coolant temp sensor in my intake manifold next to my t-stat. I guess i can just plug em up since i dont need em?

tenpack
12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
engines going in very soon, can i just plug these temp bungs??

And for the exhaust crossover, what do i clean it out with? Thanks

MetalMan
12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Here's the thing about that center exhaust port...it's useless, and it's best to block it off for using headers. I guess that's not really an option at this point, you can get intake gaskets to block them off but they usually burn through. Clean them out with whatever you can find, screwdriver, chisel, whatever. I've done it before, I just chipped it all out with a hammer and old flathead screwdriver. As for the holes, go ahead and plug them, but make sure whatever you plug them with doesn't extend into the cooling passage.

tenpack
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I figured about the intake crossover and just chiesel it.

For the coolant bungs, i got some 1/2 NPT plugs. As i was in the store, i saw a coolant gauge with 2 wire hookup( ground and dash light)and probe for 20 bucks, and figured it would be worth it since the stock chevy one in my truck doesnt anything for feedback.

Thanks

MetalMan
12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
np