PDA

View Full Version : gear patterns..

ROBO
12-24-2006, 02:24 PM
tryin too set up my rear and havein trouble gettin the right pattern ... gettin too low on the heel sid of coast and high on the drive side of toe... cant seem too get it right. im not too experienced with settin theses things up right...

slowdodge
12-24-2006, 03:28 PM
did you measure the shim packs for a baseline? also proper torque values help and a dail indicator to measure backlash but maybe you already did that, how is the depth?

ROBO
12-24-2006, 04:21 PM
heres the thing ..im stratin with all mixed stuf gears... carrier and houseing all all from differnt trucks...so i im shootin in the dark... got lots of shims but no way at home too change the pinion depth .. but i think its fine... im havin trouble gettin the pattern centered.

Stetson
12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
heres the thing ..im stratin with all mixed stuf gears... carrier and houseing all all from differnt trucks...so i im shootin in the dark... got lots of shims but no way at home too change the pinion depth .. but i think its fine... im havin trouble gettin the pattern centered.

You may know all this but all parts must be matched, ie ring and pinion (their stamped each with a matching number), bearings and races (cup) a match (ive pulled many 4.10 gears out of trucks out of the same year and modle rear end and they have a different "slope" to the bearing. so if the pinion allready has the bearing pressed on, you need that specific cup (race) from where ever it came from (I would not recommened used parts) Here is a great pile of tech for gear install! with solutions. Good Luck
http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

boyzen
12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I do tons of gear set ups if the backlash is good and the pattern is still bad you will need to move the pinion in or out or just put it together and run it see if it howls or not.

pumpkin
12-27-2006, 10:18 PM
What kinda diff? I have a press and bearing remove to change the pinion depthat home.

ROBO
12-27-2006, 10:52 PM
thx for the info dudes... i used all the bearings and races i got with the gears... so thats ok .. after tons of time in and out and some help here and there ..i got a good drive pattern and a ok coast. its a little low too the heel of the gear .. but centered .. and just enof backlash .. prob around 8 tho or so.. just a guess.. and its a 10 bolt corp gm buy the way.

boyzen
12-28-2006, 08:39 AM
10 bolts gotta be the wost diff to set up I hate them

In The Zone
12-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Rob wish I knew u needed help u should of called me.....

I could of tried to help...

ROBO
12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
np dan i know u be busy over xmass with the family anfd all... but hey im in on your motor swap dude!!