PDA

View Full Version : CB repair

Throttle1982
12-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey all,

I've got an old CB I fried a while ago, I hooked it up backwards without a fuse [27] Stupid of me I know, REAL stupid. Anyway, I tried hooking it back up, this time with a fuse AND the proper way. It still turns on, The TX light comes on when I try to transmit, but it just doesn't transmit anything. The input bar moves as if its recieving but nothing comes out of the speaker.

I heard it go 'POP' and a bit of smoke come out the top when I hooked it up wrong, but I can't see ANYTHING on the circuit board that looks burnt out.

Anyone know of anyone who's good with this kind of shit and works for beer?

Even if he/she were to point out the resistor or whatever needs replacing, I can do that myself.

Thx

In The Zone
12-20-2006, 09:20 AM
if it went pop and smoke came out buy a new one..it is somthing that could come in handy one day....

as for the smoke most likley a capacitor fried and u wont see it unless u know what to look for....

Tmax
12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
you can probably buy another CB for cheaper than price of beer.

if you're trying to test a unit on bench, try not to transmit without an antena. that may also damage the unit.

J20
12-20-2006, 10:39 AM
ya dude its not worth fixing.............IMO just go buy a new one..........might be able to get a good boxing day deal.....:dontknow:

InteriorZR2
12-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Depending on the radio, there may be a reverse protection diode. I know most 2ways have this, just have not really encountered a pooched CB yet. If so, its like a .50c part and about 5 minutes to change it, just depends if you know anyone who is decent with a soldering iron. If all else fails, take it apart and see how much stuff is fried, if lots, then place on driveway, drive over it, and but a new one.

Throttle1982
12-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I found whats fried, doesn't look hard to change and not exactly hard to find. Just a fried diode.

I DO already have a new CB, actually, I have two, one hand held, the other is a proper vehicle mounted one like the one I fried. I was just bored and thought I would play with the old one and see if I could get it working again. If it costs me $0.50 to fix, then its worth a shot.

Kinslayer
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
smoke usually comes out of caps - check for ones with non-flat tops.

Roy
12-22-2006, 05:15 PM
It's very difficult to put all the smoke back into the radio's system. First, you have to get a good, clean supply of electrical smoke and then find the port on the radio's board where you can inject the smoke back into the radio. Of course, you must repair the hole that allowed the smoke to be released. For an application like this, it is more economical to simply replace the entire radio as fresh radio smoke is hard to find this time of year and is rather expensive. Good lesson though... remember the radio tech's mantra...

Red is positive, red is positive, red is positive...