PDA

View Full Version : explorer auto trans?

Ironman
12-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Anyone know the reliability of auto trannies in explorers, lookin to buy one but its got an auto and undecided about it[cheers]

jakerngr
12-18-2006, 06:13 PM
the a4ld is a light duty transmission and is known to be just that. i have been through 3 on my ranger and now have a 5 speed in there without problems.
on the other hand i had a 93 explorer with an auto and never had a problem with it. it was stock on 31's. now we have a 96 v8 awd auto but it has the 4r70w trans in it and it is beefy. no issues with it either.

MikeWild
12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Jay, the A4LD is pretty weak, (LD = light duty) but if proper steps are taken with it, they aren't all that bad. I'd highly recommend adding an extra large tranny cooler, such as what's found in an F-250 or 350. Add an electric fan as well as they really don't like heat. I've blown up two of them in the past, but that was after recently purchasing the vehicle and knowing nothing of their history. The one currently in my truck is a rebuild, and I recently tore the tail housing and t-case off of it. After slapping a new tail housing on it, she's running good as new again. (fingers crossed here) I recommend carrying a few extra bottles of tranny fluid in the event you over heat it and it decides to puke the fluid out. ( I had that happen up at clear creek, my fault for not running in 4Lo ) The nice thing about the exploder is they're a dime a dozen and getting parts is relatively easy. If you have any questions feel free to fire me a PM or give me a call. If the price is right, I'd say go for it, I'll even come and take a look at it with ya to add that extra two cents of advice. :D

Ironman
12-18-2006, 06:25 PM
thanks id would just be using it for getting to and from campsites not any wheeling. Did the 4r70w only come behind the v8

Cwheeler
12-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Its a peice... make sure u have a few bottles of ATF with u, ive overheated on the highway and out camping a few times, and it pukes all over. when mine dies the truck will be getting a 5spd...

jakerngr
12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
thanks id would just be using it for getting to and from campsites not any wheeling. Did the 4r70w only come behind the v8

yes only behind the v8 they changed to a 4r55e somewhere in 95 and its alot stronger. if you are just planning on driveing this thing around like a human being with no bigger than 31's on stock gears or towing nothing over 2000lb's up long hills on a hot day with the a/c on you should be fine with an a4ld.

In The Zone
12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
what they said keep it cool and clean fluid would not hurt to change the accumulators either while the filter and fluid are changed.. :cool:

good luck Jay

Explorer guy418
12-19-2006, 12:53 AM
i got the auto tranny 92 explorer. will be running 488's so i hope that ok.

PigPen
12-26-2006, 08:26 PM
have somebody put a mild shift kit in to up line pressure and the trans will last longer than the rest of the truck they arent really all that bad they just had low line pressure stock that was meant to soften the shifts up but it lead to meltdowns when a normal person drove it