PDA

View Full Version : slant 6

get stuck
12-17-2006, 07:10 PM
i have a slant 6 in one of my trucks and it ran like shitt when i bought it an know it berraly moves i have to have it in 4 low 1st gear to move and it wount rev hight at all anyone know whats going on here

Dieseljeep
12-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I would start with a good tune up (plugs, cap ,rotor wires,filters)and make sure that the battery has juice and that the fuel hasn`t gone skunky. Then make sure tha carb isn`t all gunked (varnished up) .Once all that is good to go fire it up and try to drive it again. It is a slant 6 they last forever.

get stuck
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
the plugs are good and the cap is fine the carbs pretty clean and the wire seem to be ok i the guy i got it from said he thinks he might have matched up the timeing marks roung but if he did that youd think it wounld run like at when i first picked it up we drove it home but we could only go like 30 tops on the high way

Kinslayer
12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
sounds like it didn't run that great on the way home. Get it timed! Also look for restrictions in your intake and exhaust.

J20
12-17-2006, 10:46 PM
dude its a slant 6 its either fuel or ignition after what the previous owner said ......just start with checking the base timming.........

get stuck
12-17-2006, 10:56 PM
yeah im staring to think its the timeing owell il just do it and get it over and done with then go wheeling lol i im sure thats what it is anyways

any one know how a slannt 6 with an automatic and 35s whould go with just the stock gears i dont think i have ever evan seen another trck with one around here

hrd4mud
12-19-2006, 12:10 PM
the plugs are good and the cap is fine the carbs pretty clean and the wire seem to be ok i the guy i got it from said he thinks he might have matched up the timeing marks roung but if he did that youd think it wounld run like at when i first picked it up we drove it home but we could only go like 30 tops on the high way

Sounds like hes talkin about the cam timing to me? Did he replace the timing chain or something? Even if you time the distributor, and the valves are out it will still run like s***.

I dont know if theres a way to test this without pulling the cover off though?

And ive never driven a truck with a slant six, but 33's matched to an auto, seems like it would be underpowered anyways.

J20
12-19-2006, 08:59 PM
dude i drove a 1/2 ton with a slump six and a auto and 31's and it was dead and i mean DEAD slow...........time for a small block?:dontknow:

get stuck
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
well today i took it all apart to discover that the timeing marks were correct so thats a start but yeah i see myself putting the 360 in in the near futuer

Lurker
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
My slant six was like that, so I pulled it and at the time put in a 69 440. I had a suspicion that it was related to the distributor being weak and crappy. You might consider that and look at the weak aftermarket for a distributor.

get stuck
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah i think thats could be a good possibility thanks [cheers]

Punk in Drublic
12-20-2006, 09:24 PM
check for compression. dead cylinder?

get stuck
12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
yeah il check thats too

get stuck
12-27-2006, 07:34 PM
well it's reving higher know but then it starts to cough a bit i think its a vacum problum

get stuck
01-07-2007, 10:45 PM
when you try to rev it high it spits a mist of gas out of the carb think it might be getting too much fuel???? i need to figer this out hahahah[cheers]

get stuck
01-09-2007, 09:01 AM
its a one barrol carb does any one have any idea it that could be a posability :confused: any help whould be awsome :party0010:

get stuck
01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
well i got a timeing light now but could it really be that far out on the dirstrbuter?? it starts and ileds fine but you just cant rev it up it just crapps out still :confused0006: :dontknow:

hrd4mud
01-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Check the fuel pump pressure, if it runs fine at idle now, but wont rev up. Also check the lines, I had a small crack in mine once just before the fuel pump, so fuel wasnt leaking but it would suck air instead of fuel sometimes.

If thats fine, check the vacume advance on the distrubutor.

get stuck
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
ok im gona cheack that after school thanks[cheers]

get stuck
01-23-2007, 06:26 PM
i think that might be it its so rusty under there the lines are like flakeing apart but i cant see anything over the gas tank because theres no body lift or anything so theres no room to see and there like 3 lines running out of the tank ones really smalli know there whould be a main one and a return but whats the therd one

get stuck
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
i just remember when i first got the truck i hooked up a small gas tank off a portable welder i thing and it still did the same thing and i have the distributer vacum hose atched

Troy
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
i just remember when i first got the truck i hooked up a small gas tank off a portable welder i thing and it still did the same thing and i have the distributer vacum hose atched

first of all, your grammar and spelling sucks
second, what the fuck are you talking about, a portable welder gas tank hooked up to a distributor hose?

you need to figure out what is causing the problem and then adress it from there and ask people, or else you'll confuse people and they wont help you[16]

get stuck
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
that post was a fuck up. sorry my grammer sucks :dontknow: but i think thats why im in school i ment i hooked a small gas tank right befor my fuel pump too see if that the fuel line was pluged or any thing and i meant the distributor vacum line it hooked up i saying that i have checked the things that hrd4mud was telling me about

get stuck
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
this would be sweet super charged slant6

hrd4mud
01-24-2007, 12:27 AM
I still think you should just find a 318 and bolt it in. Power would be a nice improvement and the milage is still good. Then you can bolt on some 35's and have no problems, with 5 inches of lift thats what you should be running anyways.

After nickel and diming that slant six to try and find out whats wrong, would prob pay for a 318. And it looks like you have a decent shop to do it in as well.

The vacume advance should be hooked to a line on the carb, that has no vacume at idle, then creates vacume as motor is off idle. Check the timing at idle, and check it at 2,000 rpm, should be furthar advanced at the higher rpm, of not its hooked up wrong or not working.

I dont see that having a huge running problem, but its free to check into it.

Only other thing I can think of is the carb itself. But like i said earlier, could find a decent 318 for the price of a new carb if your patient enough.

get stuck
01-24-2007, 09:00 AM
yeah it dosent take me long to change a motor in my 1978 i took the 400 out then took the 440 out of my parts truck and then put it in to the my 78 agian just using time i had on the week days after schools and a day on the weekend so im noy worried about that its a peace of piss . but yeah i think thats what gona end up happening thanks alot [cheers]

get stuck
01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
well got new spark plugs and put a differnt distributer cap on and it runs better but soon as you put it in gear it stalls

get stuck
02-04-2007, 03:12 PM
There is some sort of linkage that is suppost to go from the tranny to the carb and its missing.Dose anyone know what its for. :dontknow:

Always broke
02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Thats for the kick down in the tranny

sounds like you got a huge vacuum leak and then check the timing.

I have a friend with a 440 if you need it:D

get stuck
02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
so that linkage is really nothing ?
i will focues on the vacum lines then thats what every one seams to be saying i just have to find where they all go
oh and i have a truck with a 440 look in my sig but the only reason i evan have this rusty blue beast is because its alot cheaper on gas
so no thanks dont need another 440 right know haha thanks for the help [cheers]

get stuck
02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
dose anyone have a diagram of where the vacum lines for a slant shit :dontknow: [cheers]

nykoma
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
this would be sweet super charged slant6

sweet like any inline 6 [36]

get stuck
03-09-2007, 10:11 PM
well went to the junk yard today and bought a nother carb it runs way better in park or nutral but soon as you put it in gear its really gut less its like putting 44s ona a stock 4banger toyota that about all you can compare it to for power but yet in park it runns way better and revs up anyone know whats wroung or what could be

get stuck
03-23-2007, 01:33 PM
on one of the other sites a few of the guys said it might me my touqe converter anyone else think that could be it

NeoAnderson
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Check yer float level in the carb...also make sure its clean in there.
Don't drive yer truck without that kickdown linkage on it or you'll blow up the tranny.
It controls the pressures inside the tranny so it can handle the load when it kicks down a gear.

:confused0006:

brothergrimms
03-23-2007, 06:49 PM
it could be your distrudor mite be out a tooth or two or a crack distrudor mite be fuck wires not much can go wrong with a slant 6 you can put million miles on one and still run[cheers]

get stuck
03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah im not to sure what happend with it because the guy that i bought it from said he thought it was the timeing chain he said he thought he put it on wroung but he didnt say hot it was running b4 the timeing chain not sure it it ran better or worse but i will check those few things

brothergrimms
03-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I've got a 87 with tbi 4speed it rips going to put 4.5 lift and longarm 44hihp and just tryin to figue out rearend.[cheers]