PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoeing in the interior

Lurker
12-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I went out to visit my parents in Vanderhoof day before yesterday, and I packed a trail with my snowshoes so that they could go cross country skiing on their property. It was a really nice day for walking around outside. The snow's just under 2 feet deep and was really packed down to begin with. The dogs could walk on it without breaking the crust.

Taxidermy
12-15-2006, 09:59 AM
sweet [41] [cheers] [41]

kootenaycat
12-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I've never been to Vanderhoof, but from the pics I'd guess it's flat like the prairies!

On a side note, what kind of snowshoes do you have? I've been wanting some for a couple of years now and Cambodian Tire puts them on sale every winter, do you think they are any good? I won't be doing any hardcore/long hikes, just want to park the sled once in a while and hike up through the trees where it can't go!

Lurker
12-15-2006, 11:26 PM
It depends on the snow. For example this year is great because we had huge dumps of snow and then really warm weather to pack it down. It's great.

But in years past, around here it would snow and stay cold, leaving it as powder. It's really hard to trudge through that shit, but it does make it easier for people coming behind you on your trail.

Coastal snow is different though, it seems wet and heavy. Pretty good for snowshoeing as far as I could remember when I was a kid growing up.

We use them at work. They're ok for some terrain, but not for thick underbrush.

Mine are aluminum 9 by 30's I think. They're from Costco about 11 years ago.

These pics were taken today. My boots are Scarpa Vega's. The picture below is moose browsed willow overlooking Prince George from the side of Cranbrook Hill above the university road.

Troy
12-16-2006, 12:29 AM
i saw something about vanderhoof on that 'wings over canada show' last night...looks like a nice open country place

lincoln locked
12-16-2006, 12:16 PM
nice pics there i havent been around that area for awile

t_girl
12-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Very nice shots!