PDA

View Full Version : York Compressors

82F150
12-12-2006, 02:51 PM
so im thinkin about doin on-board air, i was lookin in Pick n pull and i think i found a York 210... its a York tag, division of borg warner bla bla bla... it says Pt something 210R------- ...i didnt have a pen or i would have written it down... does someone know what the numbers on there should be ?
thanks

crimsen
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
is it big and squarish with 2 ports on the top?

MikeWild
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Volvo's used the York compressors in their vehicles.

crimsen
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
so did ford and jeep.

m j
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a big motorcraft compressor that looks like a candidate

82F150
12-12-2006, 08:02 PM
this was in a late seventies chevy..ill have to go back and take down the #s i guess...cause my luck itll be the one and ill procrastinate and miss it...i was looking at broncoboys site and i think its the same as that so should be the right one.. ya ive heard motorcraft made a knockoff..not sure how they are

sj-x 500
12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
210r = 2 piston, 10cc disp., right hand suction side.

yes it is a york.

Big_Ern
12-12-2006, 10:01 PM
[stupid]
thats one of the better yorks you can get. They also make an 11cc york, which is rare, along with the most common 6cc. I'd go back and grab that one

R just means the orientation I beleive. Right hand port or right side of the motor. Something like that. Check it out on Google

trailburban
12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
there's also one larger one too, but bigger isn't better.
remember that it's added weight to your rig and you need power to turn it.

your bes bet is to look at older caddys and find a mini-york that will fit easily under the hood. i've got a few of the larger ones kicking around, some aluminum and some cast iron. but the cast irons are near the 35lbs range.

why not go electric, that way it's easily removeable.
1hp compressor from princess + a 1/4 HP starter motor = onboard air. i've been running mine for a while and it works great.

Big_Ern
12-13-2006, 12:29 AM
there's also one larger one too, but bigger isn't better.
remember that it's added weight to your rig and you need power to turn it.

your bes bet is to look at older caddys and find a mini-york that will fit easily under the hood. i've got a few of the larger ones kicking around, some aluminum and some cast iron. but the cast irons are near the 35lbs range.

why not go electric, that way it's easily removeable.
1hp compressor from princess + a 1/4 HP starter motor = onboard air. i've been running mine for a while and it works great.

in this case though bigger IS better. The differnt CC yorks just used a longer stroke to get the extra volume, so they are not any bigger physically, nor are they any heavier. Yes they will be harder to turn, but the compressor has an electric clutch on it, so unless you're filling up with air (ie Stopped) then it doesn't add any drag to the motor (aside from the minimal rotational mass of the blet, flywheel, and any associated friction)

If you've got the room, a York in the only way to go. I've got one sitting in the garage awaiting install on my 4cyl toy.

The yorks are 100% duty cycle, so you can run them as long as you want without worrying about burning out an electric motor.

pumpkin
12-13-2006, 08:01 AM
York is the easiest available, but there is another choice. Old dodges used an a/c compressor that looks like an air compessor. It even has an oil pump inside to lube the mains and rod bearings. This is what I'm puting on the pumpkin. I'll posy pics when I get to that point. From what I've read, the volvo yorks have the biggest displacement.

B
12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
works like a mofo running it on a pressure switch w a over ride toggle works pimp [cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

82F150
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
hmm... ill have to run back through and see if any of these options are there..didnt make it too vovlo... im thinkin ill end up running a york and i have a speedaire compressor i got for free and its missing a line tho i think im gunna rob it of its gauge and pressure release and whatnot... this should work eh?
thanks for the input guys

trailburban
12-14-2006, 11:50 PM
yep it'll work.

Big E, i understand that there is not wieght difference in the largers style between the displacements, unless you compare iron to aluminum. but the mini's put out plenty of air as well. and there is one older york that is rare that was actually larger physically than the standard size (build for low rpm equipment).

and if you run air horn like i do then you'll have the compressor on while driving.
I like the electric setup i have but it does draw a fair bit of power (dims the headlights when running).
the york under the hood is the best choice over all in my opinion too.

HEAVY METAL
12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
got mine already to go in......

82F150
12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
i still havent made it back... would love to see some pics of this install tho..the more ideas i have the better... bin researching it a bit more... but
wont be doin mine for awhile as i think i gotta swap my engine

MudRam
12-15-2006, 11:35 PM
i use one of the crysler one myself....being a dodge guy, and being able to bolt it right on my engine with factory brackets...makes huge air too[cheers]

Grantman
12-16-2006, 09:55 AM
York, Tecumpse, Blissfield, and CCI all made that style of compressor, tho only the last two still do. The York and Tec. came on all early domestics, as well as Volvos and Audis. I sell new CCI ones at my work and have a variety of clutches for them if anyone's interested, plus can get some parts (seal kits, gaskets, bearings,...) for the older ones. Can also build lines for most of them too.

HEAVY METAL
12-16-2006, 12:03 PM
York, Tecumpse, Blissfield, and CCI all made that style of compressor, tho only the last two still do. The York and Tec. came on all early domestics, as well as Volvos and Audis. I sell new CCI ones at my work and have a variety of clutches for them if anyone's interested, plus can get some parts (seal kits, gaskets, bearings,...) for the older ones. Can also build lines for most of them too.

good to know dude.. thanks yo...