PDA

View Full Version : waggy lift

TWOZEROFOUR
12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Any suggestion's, I want to spring over lift it. I just need clearnce for 33's. it's a 81 waggy.

what is required i assume longer shocks, dropped pitman arm, Longer brake lines? Also do new spring perches have to be welded on the top of the axles. How much lift is possible without having to add length to the drive shafts. the springs are pretty bitched. is re arching and adding a leaf a good idea or am i better off geting new ones,,,

Sorry for all the questions, i have built chevy's and toyota's this is the first Jeep so im lacking in knowldge of what works and what dose not.

Any help would be kick ass!

DirtyComanche
12-11-2006, 04:06 PM
SOA would be WAY too high.

Cut the fenders and get rims with lower backspacing...

Or, if you must, get a 2-3" spring pack lift to keep things simple.

Toyquad
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
spring over it!!!!!! spring under is gay......

DirtyComanche
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Other than that you can fit 38s on those things with some good ol' trimming.

Although, the 4-drs run into problems unless you extend the rear wheebase.

MetalMan
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Do a spring over. I'm pretty sure it's already spring over in the back, so just block it up. Spring over should give about 4+". Enough to clear 33's easy.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I Agree Toy Quad, i have been running a built 83yota for the last few years and my driving style has gotten used to tonnes of ground clearnce. i also would perfer not to trim the shit outta it,,, i would like a ride that still looks ok on the road,, when i dent the shit outta it then it will get trimmed but the body is minty right now

J20
12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
i got some 4 inch springs and 4 in blocks for the rear in looking to unload in the new year ........interested??? pm me if so

MetalMan
12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
What people forget when they just hack fenders, is that you're not gaining that much clearance with the tires. A suspension lift gets the chassis in the air, keeping your tranny and transfer case further out of harms way...suspension lifts are awesome, I won't lift any other way and I won't hack fenders. Body lifts can be practical in a sense, because they can make it a lot easier to work on your rig, but it's no better than hacking fenders to clear tires because there's no benefit other than being able to fit the big tires.

Slim77fsj
12-21-2006, 07:53 PM
ok first thing u would need to do before the lift is think do u just want tire clearance (on the street driving mostly) or do u want flex ( for trail use)

first thing I did with the FSJ is 4" lift springs in the front and blocks in the rear ,, great clearance, and will fit he tires easy , BUT stiff as hell and wont flex ...

so then I want flex,, out came the blocks ,and out came the lift springs.. now its os SOA in the front( and stock springs back in ) and shackle flip and the rear(stock springs also) ...tons of lift as well as tons of flex (ramps 875-900 rti ) not bad for a Full size

Mr Vic
12-22-2006, 09:49 AM
i am probably wrong but i thought the FSJ cherokee's / wagoneers are spring under? so lift blocks won't do him any good until he does a spring over which will give plenty of lift for 33's. my dad has an 81 FSJ cherokee and he had springs re-arched for about 3-4" of lift, rides stiff, but he did not do any other changes aside from longer shocks..

for a spring over, you would need lots of parts and ther is always some unexpected parts who will end up needing.. for the most part you will need longer shocks, brake lines, most likely longer driveshafts and a high steer setup. drop pitman arm and draglink might bind or rub on spring pack with SOA.. so high steer is best option for SOA.

you are better off buying a lift kit than doing SOA as the parts will function better together and would be cheaper in the long run.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
hey slim77, what all was required to Soa the frount. im really not into blocks. and im like the idea of the shackle flip in the rear.. i have a 83 yota on a big spring lift and i rides like it's welded solid,, so im into using the softer stock springs.. i only need clearnce for 33x12.5's on a 10inch wheel with a very positive offset. Im planing on only doing mild wheeling, but that ws the origonal plan with the yota and iended up breaking the frame in 1/2.. so i guess we will see. with the soa is it safe to drive with a cross over steer or would i be better off going with a 4inch spring under and keeping teh cost down with a drop pitman arm instead.. any imput would be kick ass

thanx 4 yer time

TWOZEROFOUR
12-22-2006, 07:10 PM
correction; is it safe to drive SOA without a high steer? is there any clearnce issues?

Slim77fsj
12-22-2006, 08:49 PM
correction; is it safe to drive SOA without a high steer? is there any clearnce issues?

FSJ's are SUA in front SOA in the rear ,,, u can very easily just run 4" lift springs ..and rear ache the rear ,,and no or lil blocks if needed ... also use a longer shock ,, and re postion the front brake line ,, if yr not flexing it out u can run with the lines like they are .. u will need a drop pitman , but new they are only like just over $100

SOA can be used without HI steer but is tight ..

if u can do all yr own labour a SOA will work best in the long run u will need shocks , and I would suggest Rancho 9000's cause otherwise is way to tippy on street driving,... u need pearchs, u bolts, shafts done.. and MAYBE drive shaft clearance issues with the exhaust Y pipe ,,(im unsure cause 80up are different Drop them Mine)

bottom line ,, talk to J20 for his used set up .. also if u need more help

www.ifsja.org is amazing for help and tech

if u want to see pics ,,of My set up .. u can see them on

http://fsjworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten-id-3443-album-6890

http://img12.picsplace.to/img12/1/444.JPG (http://picsplace.to/)

this is mine way back just after SOA,, 35's ..3" body lift and flairs removed ... if it helps inspire ya :D

TWOZEROFOUR
12-23-2006, 10:53 AM
nice lookin truck, thanx for the info!

Slim77fsj
12-23-2006, 09:21 PM
np guy ... I enjoy helping

ya looked good in that pics, doesnt look like that now ,, not since I took the sawzall to it ,,, LOL

waggie
12-23-2006, 11:04 PM
lift it[36] lift it[36] lift it[36]

check out bjsoffroad.com they specialize in fsj and there main warehouse is located just south of Seattle. If you check out all that is avail there, there are lots of options. If you want, I can send some pics after I get them out of the camera. I just did a 6in spring spring no block, and already had a 3in body. springs are a little stiff but theyll soften some. was flexin it today and was able to max out the fronts. back still a little stiff.

rustysoffroad.com also has a small amount of fsj stuff but they also have custom build parts (like if you were to do your own SOA. not sure but I think they have spring pearches)

anyway..... goodluck[cheers] good to see another FSJ out there.[5]

TWOZEROFOUR
12-24-2006, 03:25 PM
good stuff, thanx dude!