View Full Version : LJ drivetrain opinions?

12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, my screaming 1000 finally packed it in with a cracked block, along with a t-case on it's last legs. Now I'm debating what engine, tranny, t-case, and axle combination to go with.
I want bigger, stronger axles with good gear ratio options, a goodsized engine but I also want to keep the weight down, and I will probably have to go for a standard tranny as I want to keep tunnel modifications to a minimum.

As of now I may have a line on a set of landcruiser axles with manual cable lockers front and rear, yes I know they are alot wider, but I am prepared for that. and I am thinking of going for a 4.3L fuel injected engine, as there are lots around, easy to wire in and run a pretty decent power.

I'm all ears and all opinions are helpful
I will be doing all the fabrication and wiring.

12-08-2006, 05:41 PM
cool ... we just got rid of are sj that i was gonna toy diff w yj leafs still got em if ur other line dosen t work out .... 4.3 would be wicked but i think most just do the sidekick 8 or 16 vave swaps as to keep the wieght down ... my plan after the diff's was to go 22re 5 sp route as ive seen and driven a couple sami's that were swapped full toy gear and they seem to be good little machines .... [cheers] w ur build ....

12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
what do you want for those diffs and leafs?
you don't have any sj stuff kicking around do ya?
If I could find another sj 1.0L I would be ok for a while till I could find all the parts for the build

FU Toolbag
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
I have one that is now residing on a 80?? toy truck frame that's bin sortened 24" The front mounts for the box line up almost perfect with the mounts under the seats of the lj. I still have about 2.5"between the engine and firewall, good thing it's just mocked up now, so I'm gona cut another 2" out of it. That lj frame isn't very strong and I'm thinking sbc in the future so the toy frame was a good fit. Was easier than puting toy axles under lj and repowering. I'll try and get some pics today when I go to the shop.

12-09-2006, 09:25 AM
damn that sounds cool okor, got any pics??

FU Toolbag
12-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Just came back from ranch with some pics.

still have too much room here and don't want to extend the front clip, so shorten the frame a little more.

original bolts fall in the holes. Had to pull them together about half inch. just used a comealong, worked great.
Gonna cut off frame behind the springs and plate the "extra" frame, maybee even put in a winch