PDA

View Full Version : 22-RE issues

the_balls
12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
my little toyota has been acting a little strange lately. it seems to be idling a little high, between 1200-1400 rpm, but not all the time. it's also eating a lot of gas, didn't even get 300k out of the last tank, although i was in 4x abit it should still be better than that. other than those issues it's still running super smooth, no sputtering or anything, turns over right away, decent power etc.

so what do you toyota guru's think? is there something goin on or is it just a part of joining the 300 000k club

Toy_Runner
12-08-2006, 01:15 AM
i would have to say the 300 000K club but check mass air flow sensor, clean it???

lizard
12-08-2006, 05:46 PM
this sounds dumb but it aint , I had same idle problem in mine

check your rad water level

slacker
12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
there is a host of reasons why ? ... most common is the o2 sensor or thermo sensor.

I originally was getting 400+ ... then a sharp drop in fuel economy , not even so much in power .. just fuel economy .

compression check soon turned out a burnt valve

http://www.members.shaw.ca/slacker502/images/IM000642.JPG

hopefully yours isnt so savere.

Stetson
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
this sounds dumb but it aint , I had same idle problem in mine

check your rad water level

Maybe this had to do with an air lock in the system and giving a false temp. to the temp. sensor and temp sensor switch then to comp. and not letting the vehicle complete the cold start, thus keeping idle up to warm engine...concluding in excessive fuel consumption because the "5th" cold start injector is still in operation to richen the mixture to increase temp...and idle high....just a theory???????

Stetson
12-08-2006, 06:40 PM
..........I built up a new engine, bored, oversize pistons, ground balanced crank, decked, new head, valves, rv cam, rocker assem, intake, bla bla bla everything new...header.......5.29 gears and 37's and only get 300km to a tank... if your getting more im envious :o

slacker
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
all I can say ... is check things out , before you start replacing ...

Pegleg
12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
My 3.slow Is Doing The Same Thing,

Cookie
12-09-2006, 01:10 PM
c'mon nezzy ur better than that u know the answer ,its ur lead foot.ha jokin but seriously tho id agree with the heat issue. its trikin the puter and with that cold snap yous had(maybe thermostat was stuck, check it out it may be that easy.after all thats what you told hedges and i to do for his.

Toyquad
12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
sounds like a vaccum leak. go buy a can of carb medic. then with truck running, spray the carb medic around the intake, throtle body gaskets etc, and around the injector seals. if you notice a change in idle when doing this you have a vaccum leak.

all of the times i have seen a bad temp sender it caused the truck to run rich, which caused lots of black smoke, and stalling, and 9/10 a check engine light. If there is no black smoke, and no check engine light on, i'd lean towards a vaccum leak.

flipper
12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Im in the same boat with low milage. Built 22re around 300k to a tank,might have something to do with running my boggers at 5psi all the time (to lazzy to air up and down).

the_balls
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
well i drove it to winfield and back on sunday and it appears to be doing better now so i'll just leave it alone and hope for the best