PDA

View Full Version : 35s---->38s

SkyjackedRam
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
i have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with a 6inch skyjacker lift and 35s ......heres my question...to upgrade to 38s what do you think will need to happen ..what im thinking is some body lift and some other upgrades might do it or do you think i should get some more suspension?

thanks in advance for input!:cool:

MudRam
12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
3" body lift should let u fit those tires under there, but youll proly want to put lower gears in too minimum 4:10's

MetalMan
12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Steeper gears are a good plan, it's a 1/2T though so 38's aren't a good plan at all. They might hold up for a while if it's just a pavement princess though. And likewise, if it's a pavement princess, a 3" body lift would do the trick for tire clearance.

B
12-07-2006, 07:46 PM
is it paid for ?

what do u want it to be able to do ...?

% on road ?
% off road ? [5]

i wouldn't waste my time regearing 1/2 ton diffs unless u can do it dirt cheep ...

[cheers]

SkyjackedRam
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
i do a bit off hiway driving but my truck is not a pavement princess ...im not afraid to beat the hell out of it ..i just really want a really capable truck and i dont feel these 35s are cutting it.
im not in a huge rush to do this but any info on parts i would most likely need i have some time to do some searching and get the right stuff...im not afraid to spend some money soo ...like what are you guys thinking some 1 ton diffs or what....thanks boys

Ginger Snaps
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah up grade to 1ton diffs.. i blew my 9 and i have no idea why i did shoulda just bought a dana 60

MetalMan
12-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yup, even 3/4 ton still uses a 1/2 ton front diff. If you actually do beat the piss out of it, you're gonna need D60's front and rear. Oh, your transfer case won't cut it either. And if you're gonna lift it to fit bigger tires, might as well get more suspension lift, because body lifts for tire clearance are lame...you get no chassis clearance out of them, suspension lifts get your transfer case higher up at least. And then you may as well run 40's. Big $$$

Punk in Drublic
12-07-2006, 10:59 PM
what tires ya got now? u can have a pretty capable truck with a set of 35swampers or boggers. maybe a locker in the rear? if u really want the big ol tires, uprade to 1 ton.[cheers]

SkyjackedRam
12-07-2006, 11:24 PM
just runnin 35 inch bfg mud terrains ...was thinking abou the locker that would be nice

4doorShorty
12-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Ive got no idea what dodge tranny and t-cases are like in the half tonnes. but in Fords from the late 80s an up there would be no point in upgrading to 1 ton axles to run bigger tires when the trannies were not up to the job. T-case is debateable.
So maybe the dodge guys here can add a little insight to this part. Really to me makes no sense getting 1 ton diffs when the transmission cant make the grade.

Other than that, I say just get front/rear lockers and take it out for a giver.

tenpack
12-08-2006, 06:40 AM
go to pirate 4x4 and look up a guy called "ramv". Hes running a very capable rig in a rather minimal lifted package.

MetalMan
12-08-2006, 05:40 PM
For the longest time Dodge has only really had two transmissions, and the beefier one (TF727) and its variants have been used in almost every truck application. I can't speak for the newer stuff, but the tranny in this truck should be up to the task.

But, it's really pretty pointless, you'll spend at least as much if not more to upgrade to 1 ton than you would to just buy a 1 ton truck. I've seen ugly old beaters that don't run with beefy Dana's front and rear for next to nothing.

M/T's are alright for wheeling, but not ideal. Get some 35-36" Swampers, and get lockers. You will be amazed, it will be a totally different truck...

B
12-08-2006, 05:45 PM
For the longest time Dodge has only really had two transmissions, and the beefier one (TF727) and its variants have been used in almost every truck application. I can't speak for the newer stuff, but the tranny in this truck should be up to the task.

But, it's really pretty pointless, you'll spend at least as much if not more to upgrade to 1 ton than you would to just buy a 1 ton truck. I've seen ugly old beaters that don't run with beefy Dana's front and rear for next to nothing.

M/T's are alright for wheeling, but not ideal. Get some 35-36" Swampers, and get lockers. You will be amazed, it will be a totally different truck...

ya ran into him today some 36's swampers or sx's would bolt up no problem maybe a locker for the rear but leave the front open or soft posi IMO not worth the parts replacement head ache ... or just keep it what it is and get a beater u can shitkick [cheers]

forkliftech74
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok ,So My Ram Is a '94 1500. Factory CRY 9.25/ dana 44 Combo.3" skyjacker single flex w/ rear springs, turnin' 33's. I ordered this truck back in '94 with 3.90's, 5 speed NV3500, NP231HD t-case, Sure-Grip. This truck was Beat to hell During the waranty Period, at places like St. Mecheles, Any hole in Ladner, Stave, Sylvester ,Silver lake you get the Picture.
The problms I've had were mostly due to my Rookie wheelin abilities at the time. Things replaced under warraty: Engine,due to Ovaled #8 hole (short block), Tranny a few times, mostly shifter issues, with a reverse gear re+re once, New rear gear set, due to fuckin rubber diff plug popping while wheelin under the powerlines in Surrey,That's mostly It for Engine/ Drivline Issues early on. Of course the Usal U-joints Cardon U-joints, Driveshaft,Added a DT Adj. Trackbar, Put a new .030 over lonblock 318 in a couple of years ago[36] ,K&N drop-in, 40 series delta flow muffler, stock 2.5 "pipes ,2 into 1 Power Y out the right side:D I'm not going to say what hasn't broken yet, because That's just fuckin askin for it:eek: .
At the time , This truck ,In my Opinion, was the best Out of the box 4x4, and I was working for Chevy at the time;) It's too bad They don't make em any more.:cool: [cheers]

Fork

trailburban
05-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't switch to a 38, I'd stick with a 35/36" tire.
rather than upgrading to 1ton running gear with transfer case and gears and the works (big bucks), upgrade your existing drivetrain. get a pozzy in the front and a selectable or soft locker in the rear, that will make your truck far more capable off road than 38" tires and open diffs.

If you're going for looks only then jack it up high and slap on some 44" thornbird with a 6" puck lift (joking).

for off road capability: poz front, lock rear, 35" or 36" tires
for street looks: 3/4 ton front and rear end, poz rear, 44" boggers