PDA

View Full Version : Ford fuel problems...

Troy
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
i just got my 77 ford f250 on sunday and put a driveshaft in her and went to start it up and ran and then died. You could see no fuel in the clear inline filter so i filled both tanks up with 15 dollars worth at least, no luck. Switched the mechanical fuel pump out with a new one(mechanical), no luck. Put new fuses in the fuse panel for the aux. tank switch thing, no luck. So theres a switch or solenoid on the frame under the cab where both fuel lines come from both tanks to the switch where it is directed to the fuel pump. This switch mechanism thing has a wire on it, i traced it up to the fuel tank switch in the cab and pretty sure its hooked up.

So i was wondering if i can just bypass that switch and do a direct hookup to one tank with a straight fuel line and some connecters. Or do i just need to buy a new fuel switch solenoid thing from ford or lordco or something...thanks[cheers]

Toyquad
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
run a hose from the fuel pump into a jerry can full of gas.... see if it starts that way...... or pour some gas down the carb. I had a 77 f 250, ran it out of gas once, and it took for ever to pump fuel up to the carb again.

4doorShorty
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
[stupid] that was going to be my response. Give'r a whirl

In The Zone
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
exactly try priming it first with fresh battries so u got good cranking speed...

Troy
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
exactly try priming it first with fresh battries so u got good cranking speed...

haha ya dude trust me i've already primed the shit out of it and put a good battery in it....it runs if u put gas in the carb but wont last long...im gonna try the jerry can thing today tho[15]

In The Zone
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
haha ya dude trust me i've already primed the shit out of it and put a good battery in it....it runs if u put gas in the carb but wont last long...im gonna try the jerry can thing today tho[15]

blow through the fuel line on the carb side see if there is a blockage preventing the fuel pump from priming..

if it is running as long as u are supplying fuel it .... would seem either the pump is not priming due to a blockage in the line to the carb or between the tank and pump...

Troy
12-06-2006, 04:59 PM
ya i got it running, used a jerry can and took the inline fuel filter out, blew through the lines and it was perfectly clear and it still wouldnt start so i poured gas in the carb, fired it up held it at 1/4 throttle and it finally started pumpin fuel up and it even idled and drove er up the driveway(my driveways like 45 degree angle)