PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Front Driveshaft

Amiel Voth
12-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Anyone ever rebuild a Double Cardan Joint (CV)?

I'm 90% sure the little ball joint in my double cardan is toast. Anyone ever replace one? Napa aparently sells replacments.

I'd rather fix a driveshaft I have than buy a new one.

Stetson
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Go find a used one in good shape for cheap. pain in the ass without the right knowlege/tools (im not slashen your ability) to take it appart. and theres no point in pulling it appart unless you replace the U joints aswell, murphys law they'll have slop 3 months down the road if ya don't. For the money you'll have into it, Ive picked up good ones for a case of [31]. if ya want it rebuilt, its worth the $100 to have a day to yourself and let somone else piss around with it. :D

wade and cleatus
12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
I agree, i chopped mine up and run a single u- joint to avoid the hassle, but i was only able to do this because ive got a square tubing drive shaft. If you find a used one check it over real careful.

Amiel Voth
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't really want to climb under every Toyota I find at the junkyard (if I can find one:() looking for a decent shaft. I doubt I'll even find a decent one. I have 3 of driveshafts, all of them do the same thing.

But, for 100 bucks and a Saturday, I can have a basically new driveshaft.

I think the U-joints themselves are okay, it's just the double cardan that needs work.

@ wade and cleatus
You get any vibs with the square shaft? Even with the single U-Joints?

slacker
12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
its fairly easy to do ...

cant remember the part #'s off of the top of my head , but I always use "Precision joints and ball kit" ... I have some pics I could email you if ya want .

hard part is getting the old "ball race" out .

Amiel Voth
12-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Where did you buy them from?

Napa is showing 2 sizes, .467 ID and .513 ID. I guess I'll have to pull it apart to get the size first.

How did you pull the old one out?

BTW, how goes the hotrod?

slacker
12-01-2006, 06:56 PM
lordco has em ...

ujoints are # sorry .. dont remember (i can get it if ya need)
center kit is # 513 or 514

I ended up welding a bolt ..into the space where the shaft goes (you'll see when ya pull it apart ) and "yankin' " it out that way .

"hot rod" is goin' slow .

G-rizzle Swank
12-01-2006, 07:44 PM
do are you getting vibrations? if you are it is the driveshaft binding, and that will happen on all of them unless you run a shortened driveshaft froma long box toyota, that is what i am running now and with dual transfer cases i dont get the slightest vibration, that cv is stupid anyways, it puts all of the angle on the pinion u-foint, and doesnt give you a better angle at all.

Amiel Voth
12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
ujoints are # sorry .. dont remember (i can get it if ya need)
center kit is # 513 or 514

Thanks. I'll be allright with the u-joints. I just wasnt sure on the ball.

The driveshaft I have on now vibrates pretty bad, but it's cause theres to much slop in the double cardan. The Joints are bottoming out.

The double cardan does serve a purpose, but if you're running dual transfer cases it isn't as important. Heck, if this doesnt work out, I can always shorten the extra rear shaft I have. Shouldn't be to hard.

kamloopsyota
12-01-2006, 10:52 PM
this guys write up is useful
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan.php

Amiel Voth
12-02-2006, 03:45 PM
So how tight is that ball suposed to be? The ball practically fell out of mine...[16]

As for the race, that thing is stuck. Where did you weld the bolt too?

I noticed that the dust shield or whatever is pretty chewed up, guess I know where the sound was coming from.

GOT MUD
12-03-2006, 12:38 AM
the cardian joint sucks. just shorten a rear shaft, or if ya want a stock stile shaft i'm pretty sure i've got a good one. 83 short box length, if your interested i can measure. i think it even has new u-joints on it

Amiel Voth
12-03-2006, 02:51 PM
How much slip does a rear shaft have? I'm considering throwing the extra rear shaft I have on the chop saw to shorten it up. Doesn't the double cardan have a different bolt pattern?

But I'd still rather rebuild the one I have. I have it torn down enough to pull the ball race out.

sj-x 500
12-03-2006, 03:24 PM
if the pin yoke pin is worn out, it's done for. get a new yoke, 80 bucks from toy

slacker
12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Amiel

I welded in the bolt .. to get the ball out .. yours fell out = TOAST

race is a bit more of a problem .. I used a hammer and chistle to get the old one out .. if your not takin' out the u-joints .. little bit more of a problem .

I have also scuffed up the race , and welded a bolt to it , and used a puller "type" hammer to yank it out .

after your done ... you'll be happy .

I have done a bunch of them now , including my own , and never had a problem with longjevity ... Provided the splines are in good shape , its a quality repair if done right .

Amiel Voth
12-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I welded in the bolt .. to get the ball out .. yours fell out = TOAST

[15]

Ya, that race is in there good. But I'm sooo close.

Does the race look like this when it comes out?
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/doublecardan10.jpg
Just trying to figure out exactly what I'm prying out.

slacker
12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
yep ... looks about it .

should be able to tell by the NEW parts .

wade and cleatus
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't really want to climb under every Toyota I find at the junkyard (if I can find one:() looking for a decent shaft. I doubt I'll even find a decent one. I have 3 of driveshafts, all of them do the same thing.

But, for 100 bucks and a Saturday, I can have a basically new driveshaft.

I think the U-joints themselves are okay, it's just the double cardan that needs work.

@ wade and cleatus
You get any vibs with the square shaft? Even with the single U-Joints?

Yeah, i get some vibes but i only use 4x in low speed situations, although i have had it up to 70 on the beach without any death rattle. I think i get more vibes from my pooched rear shaft[27]

Amiel Voth
12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
You get any vibs with just the hubs locked? I'm asking cause this is my winter transportation, gotta be able to drive with them locked.

Toy_Runner
12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
i get vibs with hubs locked in,

slacker
12-05-2006, 07:24 AM
I get no vibes ... just crappy fuel economy when hubs are in .

wade and cleatus
12-05-2006, 09:39 AM
With the hubs locked the vibes are worse and the square tubing makes a lot of racket. Its not really a good set up for your application.

Amiel Voth
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
So I picked up a new ball from Lordco today. I couldn't belive they had one in stock. Came to 85 bucks after 30% discount:eek: .

For my 83 it was:
Precision 613

shifty5
12-06-2006, 04:38 PM
i just put my squareshaft in today, doesn't vibrate until about 95k guess i got it pretty square.

dirka dave
12-07-2006, 07:51 PM
they are easy to re-build, just rember to replace the seal where the pin rides between the two u-joints

Amiel Voth
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Well,I got it mostly together.:D
I have to scrounge around for some c-clips tomorrow.

I had it almost together when I realized I forgot the seal.[27]

For anyone interested, the old ball race looks like it is brass. I chiseled through it and it came off easy. I'm not surprised it wore out. The new one is steel, should last a while.

slacker
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
so ???/ ....... got er' done ?

Toy_Runner
12-14-2006, 04:33 PM
the better question is???

is your hot roded truck done yet? any progress??

slacker
12-14-2006, 04:50 PM
the better question is???
is your hot roded truck done yet? any progress??

not my post dude ..

http://toyota2wd.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=allgoes&action=display&thread=1130036918 if ya wanna see the progress ...

Amiel Voth
12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Actually, I did git er dun. Got it greased today finally (don't have my own grease gun).

Just took it for it's first test run and I am happy to report, zero vibrations.:D

Can't even tell the hubs are locked.

slacker
12-14-2006, 06:42 PM
sweet ... nice job .

Amiel Voth
12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks.

If anyone is curious, I re-used the old Ujoints as there was no slop in them.