PDA

View Full Version : ting ting ting ?????

Tunabomber
11-29-2006, 11:19 PM
ok heres the best info i have on this problem

stock d30 91 yj front axel

when i put it in 4 high or low it takes a wile to engage also if im going over 20 kph it wont engage at all.
all i hear is ting ting ting and its not very loud but if i slow down to under 20 it does engage with a small clunk sound and then seems to work fine ?????

this is what i think
i know the vac sys is probmatic in this type of jeep so do ya think its a lack of vac ?
i mean does the vac not push some fork thingy in to engage and could the pressure not be great enough for higher speed ?

UU
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Nutbar to the front of the class please

fourplay
11-30-2006, 11:07 AM
ok heres the best info i have on this problem

stock d30 91 yj front axel

when i put it in 4 high or low it takes a wile to engage also if im going over 20 kph it wont engage at all.
all i hear is ting ting ting and its not very loud but if i slow down to under 20 it does engage with a small clunk sound and then seems to work fine ?????

this is what i think
i know the vac sys is probmatic in this type of jeep so do ya think its a lack of vac ?
i mean does the vac not push some fork thingy in to engage and could the pressure not be great enough for higher speed ?

North shore off road, or trucks plus in Langley, they have a lockrite cable actuator thingy that replaces you vacuum engagment for 100 bucks.. problem solved [36]

[cheers]

Pegleg
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
yuppers best solution

FKN MRK
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
:confused: is it supposed to be able to shift on the fly?....I gotta stop to shift mine[27]

UU
11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
You should stop, just to make sure everything engages properly.

Nutbar
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
There are several common problems with the 4wd vac system the hoses can rot out usually where they pass under the battery tray, the switch on the transfer case is bad for sticking, the vac motors on the frt diff are bad for getting contaminated with water-mud etc they are bad for seizing and leaking, the fork on the vac motor wears. It could be many things on that system, not usually hard to figure out.

When everthing works it is not a "bad" system definately not good and strong but when it is all proper it does work well. It is a shift on the fly system and does work I used to run in a 93 YJ stocker as a daily driver and would use the shift on the fly on winter trips up the Coq and shift into 4wd at 100-120 kph, just step on the clutch to unload the drivetrain shift to 4hi wait for the light to come on(would usually take about 2 secs) and carry on.

DirtyComanche
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Ya know, you can pop the cover off the vac disco, and reinstall it upside down to force the fork into the locked position forever...

Unless you've got a spool in the front, it works fine.

fourplay
12-01-2006, 10:07 AM
There are several common problems with the 4wd vac system the hoses can rot out usually where they pass under the battery tray, the switch on the transfer case is bad for sticking, the vac motors on the frt diff are bad for getting contaminated with water-mud etc they are bad for seizing and leaking, the fork on the vac motor wears. It could be many things on that system, not usually hard to figure out.

When everthing works it is not a "bad" system definately not good and strong but when it is all proper it does work well. It is a shift on the fly system and does work I used to run in a 93 YJ stocker as a daily driver and would use the shift on the fly on winter trips up the Coq and shift into 4wd at 100-120 kph, just step on the clutch to unload the drivetrain shift to 4hi wait for the light to come on(would usually take about 2 secs) and carry on.

[h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] [h] This is why anyone with a JEEP issue asks Mikey, he's da bestest..

[cheers]

WagoneerXJ
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Ya know, you can pop the cover off the vac disco, and reinstall it upside down to force the fork into the locked position forever...

Does this really work? I'm having the same problem and can't figure it out. So just unbolt the shift motor and turn it upside down, and it'll keep'er locked?

8T9YJ
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Northshore charges just over $200. for the cable locker, but that is probably the best way to go.

In The Zone
12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
wifes jeep same issue

i have bypassed all the oem crap and just suck it in manually...(

pemanently locking the cad in would only result in a small decrease in milage seems the wat to go...

i was debating the cable lock but ....... imo the d30 isnt worth the investment....especially if u run larger tires....

[cheers]

dirt balls
12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
[iagree] yeah did the same to mine to no problems yeat

WagoneerXJ
12-02-2006, 11:30 PM
wifes jeep same issue

i have bypassed all the oem crap and just suck it in manually...(

pemanently locking the cad in would only result in a small decrease in milage seems the wat to go...

i was debating the cable lock but ....... imo the d30 isnt worth the investment....especially if u run larger tires....

[cheers]

How exactly did you do that? I'm tryin to do this on a 90 XJ without spendin much money...just for a winter beater! I need some help!

In The Zone
12-04-2006, 10:02 AM
How exactly did you do that? I'm tryin to do this on a 90 XJ without spendin much money...just for a winter beater! I need some help!
justy run a vac line to the shift motor

keep it in 2 hi suck the hose either with your mouth or a vac source of the manifold... rotate the front driveshaft as you do it ... once engaged the driveshaft will lock u are now ready to shift to 4hi or 4low use a one way valve to retain vac if needed... quick easy fix.....

Tunabomber
12-04-2006, 11:05 AM
hey thank you all for yer advice seems to be working now ????? [wtf]
but im going to replace it with a posi lock as soon as i get some cash

i hate to put any upgrade in a d30 but as per the new fawkin house
things are moveing slow on the jeep build[27]

but dammit i need 4wd[16]

but like i says thank you all for yer imput you are all reel handy eh !! [cheers][36]