PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing...

fourplay
11-23-2006, 08:48 PM
My question is, every time I splash a puddle or go through a mud hole, my distributor gets soaked.. Can I put a bead of silicone around the base of the cap?? and is there a way to water proof this?
Also, any ideas on a abs snorkel would be cool...

[cheers]

crimsen
11-23-2006, 10:29 PM
yes, the silicone will help, as well as electrical grease. can't remember what it is called but its a grease that is conductive. application at the wire connections will help prevent the water from making contact but still allowing electricity to flow.

also check there is no opening in the base of the distributor that water is comming in through.

82 yota
11-23-2006, 10:31 PM
i think it's dielectric grease

crimsen
11-23-2006, 10:35 PM
yes, thats the stuff

UU
11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
a bead of silcone would work, just make sure it's super dry before you do it,

a snorkle, we have trees, I wouldn't. How many people smack trees but don't do 4' water crossings. (unless you mount it in the cab)

Now where's my beer ;)

Tmax
11-23-2006, 10:46 PM
a home made rubber boot around the cap and distributor helps lots (like the stock Toyota ones). you could also run a vacuum line to the cap to dry it up really fast in case any moisture did get it.

if you are going do the silicone, use the hi temp stuff. they stick to metal and plastic much better than the normal ones.

if you did run a vacuum line, make sure there is also some kinda breather there so you don't have the possibility of sucking motor oil through your distributor shaft.

fourplay
11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
a bead of silcone would work, just make sure it's super dry before you do it,

a snorkle, we have trees, I wouldn't. How many people smack trees but don't do 4' water crossings. (unless you mount it in the cab)

Now where's my beer ;)

That was an Idea... based on where I do most of my wheelin (chilliwack and area) we have water crossings.. Thx for the info, goin over to Barrys (jeepvictim) and pulling out my new motor today, freshly rebuilt with 4100kms on it, headers, MSd ignition and coil, etc.. good chance I'll have it in and running for Sunday..

[cheers]

In The Zone
11-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Good coating of the die-electric grease on the cap bottom and plug wires both ends.. u will have no problems then.... make sure u dont have a hair line crack in the cap or such

the vacuum line to the distributor cap is a bad idea...imo
the cap should be vented through a vent on the top....u will just create a vacuum leak......

better to prevent the water from fouling it in the first place....[cheers]

DirtyComanche
11-24-2006, 01:37 PM
...as well as electrical grease. can't remember what it is called but its a grease that is conductive. application at the wire connections will help prevent the water from making contact but still allowing electricity to flow.

Ah, no, not quite.

Dielectric grease is actually non-conductive. It acts as an insulator, and keeps water out. Using it relies on there being a direct metal/metal contact between the connectors.

StinkFinger
11-24-2006, 01:51 PM
thanks for being a picky ass hole

anny ways if your going to silicone the cap on you can yse some dis sope on the sealing surface on the distributor side the silicone wont stick to it so your creating a reusable seal and the vacume line is a good idea just use one that would be from the air intake so you dont create a leak in the vacume system

In The Zone
11-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Ah, no, not quite.

Dielectric grease is actually non-conductive. It acts as an insulator, and keeps water out. Using it relies on there being a direct metal/metal contact between the connectors.

exactly also called tune up grease by some manufactures

on high energy ignitions it is a must to prevent crossfire on coil packs ect... smear it on the inside of the boots not on the metal leads......[cheers]

i still do not see a relavant reason for a vacuum line to the cap it would need a lot more then 10-12" of vac to even be effective even then not only would u be suckingwater vapour but as well an any residual contamination that can occur inside the cap and distributor...

StinkFinger
11-24-2006, 02:10 PM
you cant think a little moisture and some minor contamination from the distrbutor cap is gona be worse that the shit an egr system pumps in to your engin it wont deal with a big swamp but it will help with acumilitive moisture

In The Zone
11-24-2006, 02:28 PM
true that ..........

i typically by pass the egr from day one if possible.....

i guess what ever floats your boat and keeps ya dry...

i remeber when i was young ran a switched vac line to the ashtray so it would suck out all the smoke when we were hot boxing.... LOL

didnt work to good... unless u r smoke was rightin the tray....

also played with propane feeds that way... quick way to kill a datsun....LOl

StinkFinger
11-24-2006, 02:30 PM
propane feeds ?

In The Zone
11-24-2006, 02:42 PM
direct injection to the vac line with a metered disposable bottle... one of them hairbrain ideas when u are well u know....