PDA

View Full Version : 81 - 84 double roller timing chain

shifty5
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
hey anyone done the 81-84 double roller timing chain swap into an 86 efi? i read on pirate 4x4 that its possible but i'm having trouble finding a writeup of one thats actuallly been done.

Tmax
11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
i thought only 82 and older had the double roller chain. either way if you have the cover and all the other parts, then it should work. personally i would stick to a single and just replace with a very high quality unit. that would probably last another 10 years.

shifty5
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
i'm worried that because of the larger deck height (1/4") that the cover from the 81 will be to short to make contact with the head. i think i'm just gonna buy a new chain with the steel guides, anyone know a good source? the ones from lcengineering.com are 199.00 u.s

Tmax
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
how about the OEM chain. might not be so expensive.

shifty5
11-23-2006, 11:39 AM
oem chain is 270 from toyota and uses the stock plastic guides, 160 for the stock replacement from napa. might have to go that route.

flipper
11-23-2006, 04:37 PM
L.c.e. , d.o.a. , toy sport , even seen them on e bay for good price. I also read about the double chain being a stronger unit, and being able to swap a double row chain kit in, sonds good but Ide reserch it more first. Just make sure you get a quality chain with a metal backed guide.

Big_Ern
11-23-2006, 09:11 PM
i'm worried that because of the larger deck height (1/4") that the cover from the 81 will be to short to make contact with the head. i think i'm just gonna buy a new chain with the steel guides, anyone know a good source? the ones from lcengineering.com are 199.00 u.s
Contact Ted at Engnbldr www.engnbldr.com

I got a complete rebuild kit from him including and the bearing, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain w/ steel backed guide, new pistons, etc for about $250, so I miagine the timing chain by itslef is a lot cheaper than that[cheers]

ToyotaHEAD
11-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Try also inquiring at LC Engineering. They specilize in 22R series engines.

I have never done the swap, so this could very well be inacurate. But just some of the thoughts that came to mind... Yes with the differance in deck height there will be a differance in chain length. But that to some degree can be compensated in the hydrolic tentioner. However, I would pay very close attention to the the cam angle. Cuz I doubt very much at crank TDC, will the teeth on the cam line up 100%. (Might have to get an adjustable cam sprocket in order to do the dual chain setup.) But now that I think about it even more, if the deck height is down, isnt the head taller to compensate? Thereby the chain be the same length...? Dam it has been too long since I worked on a 22R starting to forget all the lil secrets. I miss mine :(

StillRYE
11-24-2006, 09:18 AM
up to 82 it was a dual roller 98 link chain 83-84 was a single row 98 link chain and 85 and up is a single row 96 link chain so you would have to get a dual row that is two links shorter.

I would just get a good quality single row chain STAY AWAY FROM CLOYES I sell this brand I know of 3 seperate times where a brand new dual row chain has broke for no reason I got about 150 kms out of mine then snap for apparently no reason and the tensioner only lasted about 2000 kms before it packed it in I use Altrom stuff myself it's only 117.00 for the kit the only problem is its plastic guides but the last kit I got the tensioner was actually stamped Toyota pt#05399900

shifty5
11-24-2006, 11:50 AM
i was more worried about the height of the timing chain cover than the length of the chain but that may be an issue too, i did find out though that when you do the double roller swap you do need an adjustable cam gear.

i think i'll just put an oem one in, this one lasted 175,000k so they can't be to bad.

thanks guys

dirka dave
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I've Done it to three 22r's... its easy