PDA

View Full Version : hard start and backfireing help

dickrick
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Well As is says I am having trouble starting my 345 scout I have to keep feathering the throttle to get it running, then when it warms up it is usually fine. Now I don't have a choke so I think that may be part of the problem but I have also checked the fuel filter before I started it and it is always bone dry and one when it was running it had a lot of bubbles going through it...makes me think maybe fuel pump? Also it does back fire sometimes when running (rarely) but almost every time I shut it off I get a big bang through the exhaust...Air fuel too rich? Me and my neighbor have gone through the truck and replaced all the vaccum hoses and set the timing to 10 TDC which is what my manual said (factoy one ). My truck also has a points condensor system if that makes a difference..it is also a 1980 diesel converted to gas if that also makes a difference.
Thanks for any help in advance
oh ya also somedays it runns like absolute crap almost like it isn't getting enough fuel I think kinda like it won't idle but when I put my foot more than half way down it runs fine???

ottoman
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
:confused: how do you get a 1980 diesel converted to gas

duff
11-23-2006, 08:52 AM
sounds like time to rebuild the carb, may as well get the choke working whil your at it or it will allways run shity when its cold

wade and cleatus
11-23-2006, 02:09 PM
My 304 did the same thing when cold and the choke wasnt working.
And what ottoman said[wtf]
Is that a 2bbl holley on there?

epic3
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
the phenolic spacer under the carb dries out and shrinks (major vacuume leak)on ALL 345's after sittin a while so remove the carb and put some rtv on both sides of the spacer and bolt back down that will most likely fix the hard starting problem

dickrick
11-23-2006, 10:39 PM
My 304 did the same thing when cold and the choke wasnt working.
And what ottoman said[wtf]
Is that a 2bbl holley on there?
Ya 2bbl I may wait and get a 4bbl but I dunno.....And ya I figured a lot of it was carb related but though the backfiring was something else turns out it may be a timing issue 5 degrees to far advanced and maybe points gap too close. Thanks and I will keep ya'll posted

Oh ya should't someone else post in here once in a while!!!\
IH [15] eard LOTS of noise in here by a certin person before this room was opened!!!![32]

mini
11-24-2006, 12:18 AM
how did you convert a deisle engine to a gas engine?????

dickrick
11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
how did you convert a deisle engine to a gas engine?????
Ok for the record the truck had a diesel enging and the previous owner had put a gasoline engine in its place. The reason.... Becausethe Scout diesel back then was a nissan diesel and was very very very very gutless!![cheers]
Ok cleared up for everyone now!?![cheers]

mini
11-24-2006, 12:35 AM
[15] [15] [15] yah for now its cleared up in my head. but dont worry ill come up with another useless post for you in a bit[cheers]

dickrick
11-24-2006, 12:48 AM
[15] [15] [15] yah for now its cleared up in my head. but dont worry ill come up with another useless post for you in a bit[cheers]
No prob keeps it up top so I don't care!![15] [cheers]

epic3
11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Sure ignore my very helpful responce fucker
IH brotherhood my ass
hehehehe
Jerk

dickrick
11-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Sure ignore my very helpful responce fucker
IH brotherhood my ass
hehehehe
Jerk
Suck it up Buttercup!!!! I was replying to you in that post as well!!!!
Fricken WHINER[f] [15] [cheers] [cheers]
Hey lets get our trucks ready and get an IH run going!!

ottoman
11-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Suck it up Buttercup!!!! I was replying to you in that post as well!!!!
Fricken WHINER[f] [15] [cheers] [cheers]
Hey lets get our trucks ready and get an IH run going!!

sounds like a pretty lonely trip[15]

Big_Ern
11-25-2006, 12:33 AM
i have hard startin sometime too

blue pills V