PDA

View Full Version : Lift sugestions

89Ford
11-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Im thingking of lifting my truck, 89F2504x4, now that i have a second truck that will be underground parking freindly. Im gunna stick with the TTB for now as i just trew a bunch of new parts at it and dont have the money to do a lift and get a D60 for a sas... So i was woundering if anyone had any tips for which lift would be a good one to consider. I had thought of doing a 4inch, but now im fuiguring if im gunna do one, i should do it right the 1st time and now considering about a 6incher. I dotn want one thats stiff as a board, thats gunna ride like shit and not flex a bit, if that was the case id just stay stock....any tips and suggestions much appriciated, i want to do my research before i go out and buysomethign i shouldnt have.

Thanks Brian

4doorShorty
11-23-2006, 12:57 PM
you mean buying an aftermarket suspension lift kit? For the cost of one of those you could pick up some F350 springs and a complete solid axle to bolt under them.....just so you know.

In The Zone
11-23-2006, 01:01 PM
ttb kits are cheap 500.00 -600.00 go sky jacker.. or such...

how are your fab skills i did a 8" lift on mine built my own drop brackets and used e150 coils dropped my buckets 3" and moved the brake lins to a better place rides nice and takes a shit kicken with out complaint even steers srtaight at 120km.......

82F150
11-23-2006, 02:34 PM
i just did a BDS stage 2, 6" on my 82 and it wouldnt have bin so much work but i found that the bushings on the end of the arms were screwed (not really surprising) so i dropped it all and did all the u joints and brakes and stuff... wasnt really what i wanted to cause im probably gunna go SAS next year... i havent drivin it yet but after the toy run ill let ya know what i think

4doorShorty
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
For $500 you could put a solid axle in and have cash to spare....

StinkFinger
11-23-2006, 03:27 PM
For $500 you could put a solid axle in and have cash to spare....
if you do a halve assed two bit scby job with parts you got for practicaly nothing

4doorShorty
11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
not really...whatever you guys are paying for axles youre takin it up the pooper. Theres a chev D60 here for $400 obo, Im going to look at a truck with either a D44HD or D60 front and D60 rear for $350. Its a 71 F250.
I saw a guy bolted in some rear F250 springs into his SAS'd bronco, gave it about 10" of lift. He had the set up fabbed nearly the same as a stock F250 already is. Im just trying to help a guy out here, Spring eye center is 51", pin to front eye is 23" and pin to rear eye is 28"....grab a tape measure and walk around a JY and find some leaf packs. Youll need a trac bar mount, and trac bar. Which arent very much if you can find an F350 in the wrecker.

If it were an F150 he had the swap would become way more involved.

BTW if anyone wants the number for the early 80s chev D60 axle PM me Ill dig it up.

89Ford
11-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, thanks for some tips everyone, but all ive really learned from 4doorshorty is that he isnt good at reading and wants me to build a hack truck....
1. im not going to put a 400 dollar D60 under my truck without spending at least double that rebuilding it and making it reliable and worthy

2. i said i wanted some flex and a decent ride, and putting rear F250 springs in the front would have to be the stupidest thing someone would ever do if they accualy took the thing off road..

and 3, if im looking for a better ride, no way in hell im going to run F350 springs under my 250, or in any rig for that matter.....

I knew all that shit already about swapin the stock shit....I was mainly looking for tips on ride quality and parts quality of the different manufactures so i can get the best ride possible the 1st time i work on the truck....and the only thing that will be un-useable when i do get a D60 built for the front will be the drop down brakets...so doing a TTB lift to get me going is an ok place to start on this truck....

but thanks for the imput from the others...

ps.. 4doorshorty, i know you were just trying to help and i thank you very much for that, but i just wanted to clarify above what i was looking for so i dont get a bunch more people saying the same thing.. thanks

jeepingpw
11-23-2006, 08:48 PM
F350 springs are no more stiff than the f250's. In fact the F250 diesel ones are stiffer (thicker).
If you put just the D60 in , you can run 315's (35's) no lift.
If you don't want to buy a D60 (cheapest to buy the whole truck, $1000.00 - $1200.00 around here) then ya go with the TTB lift for now & swap in a D60 later.
I did a buddies the same, found that a 4" TTB will equate to a 6" with a D60 due to the difference in the tube to ball joint/king pin height.
Also go with a '80's D60 to get the king pins, unlike the '90's D50/60 ball joints.
'70s D60 won't work.

edit

For a cheap 2-3" lift run some late '80's , early 90's F450 SD front springs.

89Ford
11-23-2006, 08:59 PM
hmmm, well ive got a light little 302 in my truck....so not much fornt end weight...and that info you gave me on the height differences between the D60 and TTB are definately interesting and intreaging thoughts.....but my springs are kinda baged, and so are alot of the ones out their....I realy dont wana use any factory springs, lookin to trow a fresh set in, my truck deserves some new parts for once...But im interested in hearing more about the change in ride heights with the D60 over the TTB.....thanks for bringing this to my attention

4doorShorty
11-24-2006, 10:47 AM
What do you even need a D60 for? If you have to ask questions to keep you from buying something you shouldn't have tells me you have a lack of experience. That also tells me youre most likely not going to run your truck hard enough to need a D60, especially since your packing a 5L under the hood. Im not flamin you man, sure you might want to do it right the first time and go with a D60. Im just giving some "outside of the box" suggestions to work from...if youre happy paying retail prices on shit then thats fine by me. Those I beam drop brackets account for around $150, and for $150 I know I could get solid D44HD and if not then $200 for sure.

For youre ride quality question, find some new front shackles. With bigger springs you need more shackle travel to allow the spring to compress. Even on stock springs the ride will smoothen out.

BTW you need F 350 springs to run a solid axle up front. It will bolt in with stock springs but will hammer against the engine x-member.

jeepingpw
11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
The older 3/4 ton, D44 solids from pre - '80's won't fit, spring pads are different width.

D60 will fit in a F250, buddy just swapped his stock height F250 D50 with a solid D60, no mods.

On my F350, i put in new front shackles as the rubber in my old ones was toast & were hitting the frame. New ones gave me 3/4" more lift than with the worn out ones.

Get them from Ford, cheaper than lordco.

89Ford
11-25-2006, 01:49 AM
this is going no where.....i may be young, but do not lack experience.....All i really want to know is which companys springs ride\flex the best...if you dont have any imput on that..please dont reply...thanks....and what in the hell does me having a 5L have to do with not running the truck hard off road, my 5L pulls almost, if not just as strong as most of the 351 trucks ive ridden in...

4doorShorty
11-25-2006, 02:08 AM
quit gettin pissy because you dont like what I have to say. If you want to know which springs ride better, ask that. You had a whole shwack of questions mostly pertaining to lifting your truck, and I gave you another angle on that.
If you want a soft ride, find a leaf pack with thinner leaves and more of them. Ones with less, thick leaves will be stiffer. Once you shop around and find what pack you want get some longer shackles, they help out alot...that is my personal experience talking.
I wasnt flaming you or the 5.0L, just saying its a light engine. With the amount of lift you said you wanted to achieve, wont allow you to run a big enough tire, IMO, to break a D44 with the mentioned combo.

jeepingpw
11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
To answer the question you posted , without any comments, a 6" suspension lift will give you a very stiff ride & will not flex well.
These F250 - 350 lifts are ment to carry weight not ride nice or flex.
If you want a cheap lift to ride & flex, consider getting a F150 lift with extended rad. arms and make it fit your truck.

89Ford
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM
thanks, sorry if i came off a little rude.....some other shit pissing me off....thanks for the tip on the leaf packs though..be nice if they had a set for me to look at before you order...lol.......
and jeepingpw, ya i know they made for haulin, i use mine for haulin, the point i wa sjust trying to make was that some people advertise having a "soft ride" spring pack. I just wounder from exsperiece which companys seemed to ride the best considering the circumstances. Im well aware that im dealing with a vehicle that without alot of funds, fab and taking away its ability to haul, will never flex or ride well, im just hoping for a improvement if available..

The F150 lift would be cool for the front, but i dont have the time to fab up mounts to hold the coils and build a cross meber and all that shit to mount the radius arms, and i doubt the drop down brakets would be the same...

PS....Im very appriciative of all the imput ive recieved so far...keep it coming..and id be more inclined to do some fabing and shit to keep the cost down and stuff, but i just dont have the time, and curently its also my D.D. so anything i do i have to pull off in a weekend... Its not that i dont have the fab skills, or tools, and ive got plenty of shop space, just down time of vehicle, thats also why im looking for the most complete kit....

but ya, thanks again everyone, is their any shop other than Northshore and sporttrucks in lang, or surrey, exetra. or some where close i could check out for prioce comparison and stuff...their prob not to far off from each other but nice to get a few quotes....Thanks again..

4doorShorty
11-25-2006, 07:29 PM
If there are any decent salvage yards there you could grab a pair of stock axle pivots and fab up the drop mount yourself, or find a local member who can give you a hand. They arent hard to make, the ones we made used some square tube and some flat bar, didnt make any gussets and they held up to a few landings of airborn diesel, the springs lost all the arch we gave em tho.

89Ford
11-26-2006, 05:43 PM
hmm, interesting proposition....i the ones that are home fabed\ stock ones modded would prob be stronger than lift companys....most of the shit i build is over built anywheys.....

TimHortonsAddict
11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I would have to suggest you buy a Chev or GMC ...

[!]FORD [f][f]

Troy
11-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I would have to suggest you buy a Chev or GMC ...

[!]FORD [f][f]

no theres nothing wrong with ford its just that the he needs to stop whining about how bumpy the ride in his truck is...for shit sakes its a TRUCK they arent cadillacs, suck it up or do a d60 swap and lift, if you want a softer ride, maybe you should lease a chevy avalanche or surbuban[f] [35]

4doorShorty
11-27-2006, 01:47 AM
these are the shackles we made:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/muhstang/truck/jamestruck001.jpg
they are over kill, but we needed the added height they gave us, as I mentioned. Some front ones that are 2" longer than stock, which would be 7.5" would really smoothen out your ride and give you 1" lift.

Mr. Bob
12-26-2006, 02:45 AM
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ford1.htm

If you look at the front and rear shackle flips... better flex, stock ride quality... Just another alternative :)

Probably how I will lift my F350 if that time ever comes

u2slow
12-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Don't get too wound about the what the springs come from (F250/f350/etc.)

The brown SAS Exploder that's adorned bc4bi4's front page for a little while uses F250 rear springs up front. They are very soft - bordering on too soft.

What would it take to do the Sky reverse-shackle on TTB? Drop brackets for the arms? If that would work, you don't need to spend bux on springs, but you still get lift and better ride.

Mr. Bob
12-26-2006, 03:49 PM
yeah, from what they claim ( I have never seen the sky lift on a F250 ) ALl that is required is the arm drop brackets... and the nice part about this lift is, if you ever decide to go with a D60, it will work with that too....