PDA

View Full Version : 9" Rear end Lockers

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, Lookin' to get my Bronco muddy one of these days, but my previous attempts have made sure that I am well aware I have an Open rear diff. And every time, this has left me low and wet, and stuck. [27]

So I'm looking for a Selectable locker now, Primarily a ARB or a Electrac. Anyone here have one or the other, and what are your opinions of them? Also, how much and where'd you buy it/get it installed?

Also, what other options are open to me? I'd prefer a Selectable locker, because this is still my winter Daily driver, and locking the tires around corners or when I'm hauling a trailer isn't something I look forwards to. I was thinking of putting in a Limited slip, but I've been told that I'd exceed the limits of that in a big hurry when the mud starts flying.

thanks guys, I hope to be able to hit the trails with y'all soon. [cheers]

m j
11-19-2006, 12:57 AM
just get a detroit and be done with it
winter driving is what a detroit is made for

HEAVY METAL
11-19-2006, 01:14 AM
just get a detroit and be done with it
winter driving is what a detroit is made for

bah he doesnt know what he talkin about... weld it... perfect for snow........[cheers]

pumpkin
11-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Detroit locker is your best all around choice. selectable lockers are great in idea, but tend to leave you when you need them most. A detroit works like a posi but its on or off. When it comes time to get er done, I can install it, as well as a few others on the board.

Always broke
11-19-2006, 08:19 AM
[stupid] detroit is the best way but i still prefer WELD because it's very predictable but in snow on the road having posi or locker or weld for that matter is not very nice unless you like being sideways a selectable is nice but as been said before they leave you stranded when you need them most ........so hope i have confused you enough[cheers]

4doorShorty
11-19-2006, 09:32 AM
detroit in the front..then when spring mud hits weld the rear...then when winter hits again fire up that cavalier lol.

Always broke
11-19-2006, 10:06 AM
[stupid]makes sense to me

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 04:36 PM
You guys are forgetting this is my daily driver. Welding is not an option, unless I want to drop the Third Member every time I want to go offroad.[f]

I thinking a regular Detroit might be better, I'm just worried about snow + trailer making it lock up randomly.

and hopefully by summer my cavalier will be too low to the ground to hit the snow. ;)

m j
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm just worried about snow + trailer making it lock up randomly.

the detroits normal mode is locked, it doesn't lock up randomly.
what it does is release to allow an axle to overspeed the carrier.
very predictable, I have them front and rear in my daily driver.

welded sucks IMO, effects steering way too much.

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 05:45 PM
huh, thats interesting. I thought they were unlocked (Like an open diff, with a limited slip) until one tire started to spin, then it locked. Hmm.

m j
11-19-2006, 06:58 PM
that is how a GovLoc chevy works
lets one tire spin and cut itself on rocks for a bit then locks up to move the vehicle

4doorShorty
11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
You guys are forgetting this is my daily driver. Welding is not an option, unless I want to drop the Third Member every time I want to go offroad.[f]

I thinking a regular Detroit might be better, I'm just worried about snow + trailer making it lock up randomly.

and hopefully by summer my cavalier will be too low to the ground to hit the snow. ;)
Detroit the front then, you get to pull some awsome 4wd reverse donuts in the snow, when youre in the mud both front tires spin to cut a trail for you, and you dont have to worry about getting bent out of shape in the snow. Besides, the rear tires only go forwards and reverse. The fronts go forwards and reverse, and left to right, and a combination of all the above. Much better to grab traction IMO.

As far as the cavalier, when youve got the detroit in the front of your bronco you can run it over and get it really low to the ground[f] Make sure to take vids and post them on here and FSB.

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Hahaha, smartass. I can't imagine how I'd explain that one to ICBC;

"Uh yeah, My buddy accidentally crashed into my car."
"I looks like he went right over it..."
"Uh yeah, he was in 4wd. And he has 35" tires."
"Did he stop?"
"Yes...On the other side..."
"And how do you explain the tiremarks on the other side. they look like your tires."
"He accidentally hit it with my truck too...?"

Yeah, that'd go REAL well.

As for locking the front, That would affect the steering ability adversely, wouldn't it? And what good would that do me when I need traction on the road? If I have a selectable, I can use it when I need a little extra move in the the snow too. I don't have alot of cash so getting the most bang for my buck is Priority two. Next to offroad Traction. :D

4doorShorty
11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
not with the hubs unlocked. I would rather have both tires on the steering axle getting power than only 1, and having both drive axle tires having power. At least there are two tires telling you truck which way to go.
I had an '80 bronco as the first vehicle I could drive (3rd vehicle owned then). It was stock with some 33s, they were fat 33s. Baja widetrack mud terrains. The tread section was 12.5". It had a LS rear diff that had been rebuilt, I drove it through the winter and had no troubles.
Maybe someone else has opinions on running a locked front in 4wd snow travel.

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 11:31 PM
haha, you had the exact same truck as me, down to the tires. 1980 Bronco, 302, 33x12.5 Widetrack Baja MTs (On the back. I have Cooper Discover SSTs on the front)

I'm talking about adverse steering offroad, but I could be wrong about that because I've never had a locker in the front of any vehicle. My 9" was supposted to have a LS, but I think it was killed by a previous owner and replaced with an open diff.

I don't want to go insane on this truck, though I don't drive much with 4wd in the snow, It's just how I was taught to drive.

I'm just trying to find out what will work this the best for me.

4doorShorty
11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
mine had a windsor on propane and a C6, I put some first gen rx7 seats in it.
I had a '73 dodge with a locked front diff and open rear. It was awsome in the mud, and steered just fine offroad in 4wd. I really know F-all about lockers tho. However someone stated detroit type lockers will break to allow one axle to overspeed another. Sounds like it would handle steering fine.

Maelthra
11-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah. I was talking to Scott at Lordco today, and he said in his 'Zuki it was "interesting" to drive in the snow with a trailer. But how it works (Staying locked and unlocking to turn) makes me think that it might not be as bad as I thought, because I got a lot more weight in the back.

I have a windsor too! just a lil' bitty one though. Got a C6 to put in If I don't want a newer 4-speed when I blow up mine.

4doorShorty
11-20-2006, 12:19 AM
pulling a trailer with a zuk? lol
Id rather have two wheels getting power that I can point in the direction I want to go....rather than a locked rear.