PDA

View Full Version : stainless brake lines...

Foes
11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
well, i put my extended brake lines on a few weeks back, thinking if was going to do my lift right away, but never had the time to do it..sooooo... Ive been driving around with the long brake lines, and I was greasin my front end today and noticed that the tire had rubbed through the rub guard, and through the stainless braid part, its now down to the actual hose. How bad is this? What can I do?

UU
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
replace the worn brake line
don't do it again
put the lift in

Foes
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
thanks warlord, i wasnt sure if the braided part was just extra protection or not.

crimsen
11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
you probly could get away with not replacing it, but it would be a wise thing to do. im not exactly sure if the braiding is for strength, or to keep the rubber from ballooning like can happen on just standard rubber lines.

id replace and not worry about every time if ya step on the brakes, if you are infact gonna stop this time

HEAVY METAL
11-14-2006, 06:32 PM
replace the worn brake line
don't do it again
put the lift in

[stupid] ...... reolaced it yet?

Foes
11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
wow, talk about knock on wood, i was drivin back from langley through an area where theres new houses just now, some *non white* driver couldnt judge the distance between her and a pallet of bricks, so she ended up almost smokin my front left corner when she swerved, so i slammed my brakes on, and the abs kicked in like normal. I go to the stop sign...no brakes!. jump out, theres fluid all over the coil spring and tire. so, with a lot of back roads, e brake and fancy clutch work I got it home...SCARY SHIT

youngun
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
hahah, scetchy, get it fixed

Ginger Snaps
11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Dang budday you aint having any luck lately.....

UU
11-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I usually use a spring to pull the brake line out of the way but still gives me the length when flexing

Balls First
11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
sounds like my breaks cept its my proportioning valve everytime i hit the brakes it sprays fluids guess i'd better get it fixed lol

Big_Ern
11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
wow, talk about knock on wood, i was drivin back from langley through an area where theres new houses just now, some *non white* driver couldnt judge the distance between her and a pallet of bricks, so she ended up almost smokin my front left corner when she swerved, so i slammed my brakes on, and the abs kicked in like normal. I go to the stop sign...no brakes!. jump out, theres fluid all over the coil spring and tire. so, with a lot of back roads, e brake and fancy clutch work I got it home...SCARY SHIT
holy shit dude, you got lucky.:eek:

Now I guess we all know that the steel braid is actually there for strength. Glad you didn't get in an accident because of it.

tenpack
11-21-2006, 06:31 AM
i heard NSOR is the only local shop that carries stainless extended brake lines? I dont feel like forking out a shit load of money, but it is imporant so i will.

Foes
11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
well, i replaced my brake line after a few days of having no vehicle (never realized how much of a pain it is to get to new west for 6am without a truck! sport trucks charged me 140 for 2 fronts and the rear the first time, the second time, it was 70 for one front line! but bobby had to take them out of the package, so in the end, she did me a huge favor [cheers]

Nutbar
11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
i heard NSOR is the only local shop that carries stainless extended brake lines? I dont feel like forking out a shit load of money, but it is imporant so i will.

We carry the Rubicon Express Stainless brake lines at Jeap Thrills (and yes the Rubicon ones are DOT approved and have the badge to declare it.)

Tmax
11-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I personally don't like the braded lines but sometimes you have no choice. there are good ones and bad ones. the ones I like have a second plastic cover over the steel braded part for more protection.

generally speaking braded lines are not that flexible. the inside is more of plastic material (versus rubbery material) and steel will break in time.

I think they do make DOT approved ones. they may constructed differently or of better materials.

redman
11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
your better off to run the stock ones in my opnion if you need a trail fix or are in a smaller town odds are more likley to find parts for the stock ones

Nutbar
11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
I think they do make DOT approved ones. they may constructed differently or of better materials.

Yes they make DOT approved ones Rubicon Express (which we carry) are DOT approved.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both SSBL are a lot more fragile than rubber they can't be kinked or stretched or rubbed they will break doing that where the rubber ones are alot more forgiving but SSBL will not expand and can handle much higher pressures than rubber giving you better brake feel and response than rubber.

m j
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
this has been discussed before
all you need to make a Canadian DOT compliant line is
1- crimp the ends on
2- manufacturers name must be on it
3- must have a marking to show if it is twisted

Goodrigde and a few others make them, they probably all do if you know how to order them.
a heck of a lot cheaper then $140 for the Goodridge that I bought even including the -03 adapters