PDA

View Full Version : 440 issues

cruizin'
11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey Guys, I'm kinda new to MOPAR land. I picked up a 79 powerwagon to haul a camper to the oil patch for me. I gots problems. It has a propane system on it, that's coming off, but with gas it's gutless. The trucks got a 440 in it and should smoke the tires off, right? Ive got probs climbing hills, even getting up to highway speeds. And it's burning way to much fuel. Carb issue?

Any ideas guys, Thanks for any help.

Kevin

tenpack
11-13-2006, 01:31 PM
mhmm, does it bog down? Whats been done to it? When was the last tune up done?DId you adjust the timing now thats its on gas and not propane?

cruizin'
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ten pack, I'll give it a try.

sparky
11-13-2006, 03:55 PM
off the subject ........what work u do in the oil patch??????????????

and yes u have to retime the truck after coming off of pane otherwise no power.............[cheers]

cruizin'
11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
gonna be a rig pig ( floor hand on a drill rig). Just gearing up to go and make some loot before X mas. Tired of the rain man. I'll take snow and cold over 6 months of rain LOL!!

coreyg8
11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
where abouts you headed up there??

cruizin'
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure yet where I'm being sent to. I'm waiting on stand by for the call go.
But I'm scrambling to get this camper plan running smooth.
You guys work in the patch too?

FU Toolbag
11-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Has the motoer been set up for propane? I mean properly built for propane? If so, it will run like crap on regular pump gas. If the distributor has been recurved, you might have to put it back to stock. If it's had the compression pumped, and cam exc. done, just put it back on propane, or else you're lookin at premium only. Basicly, find out who put it together, and hope it's not an awsome engine.

cruizin'
11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Cool I've got another dist, and an aurora ignition that I'll hook up. And throw in that buck-fifty a litre gas too lol. Think an octane booster would help too? Also I have a single exhaust on it, should I go to a dual? Looks like I have to be dropping off some beer in Kelowna. Thanks guys for all the help

Claveland 4x4
11-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Definitely go duals and 2.5" minimum with low restriction mufflers. The 440s after 1971 really started going downhill in the power department if the engine is stock it wont be all that impressive however, much better than a 318! You'd be worlds ahead to put in a good cam and some early heads for better flow and compression, a good intake and holley carb plus high flow manifolds or headers. But if you go headers dont forget to install the heat riser tube with the factory air cleaner or else that frigid northern weather might freezup your carb! I know this because i work up there too and had it happen :cool:
But like okor said, find out whats been done to it first then go from there.

75Wagon
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Put some 10.5 to 1 pistons in to raise your compression...clean up your heads and put it back on propane..i've had enough big block powerwagons to have tried every combo..with the right compression..mixture set up right a propane 440 can be a very sweet motor. If you really wanna have some fun try a turbo charged propane 440. If you really want to stick with gas..remember the big block is best for building torque...it's all about low end power...a good lumpy rv cam..2" hedders..3- 4" exhaust and an 850ish cfm carb will wake up a 440 just fine.

tenpack
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
propane boils at around -45, if hes in the oil fields and its damn cold the propane wont convert from liquid to vapor. Then again, at -45 you are a nut and shouldnt be outside trying to get your rig fired up.

75Wagon
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
for that problem there is a very cheap 12 volt tank warmer and mixer warmer...I ran propane tow trucks in Jasper, Alberta fpr 5 years on propane and never had an issue.