PDA

View Full Version : front diff mod - would this work?

Fuzzydog
11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, this has been bugging me for a long time, ever since I found out about vac disconnect front axles.

Can I just weld the spiders on a D30 disco axle and then use the disconnect mechanism as my locker?
It seems to me that with welded spiders but the disconnect 'open', each front tire would still be able to turn at different speeds so you would have full differentiation on the road,
then you put it in 4wd (lets assume an np231) and you would have drive to the front left wheel only, then you do the vac 'connect' thing and you have a locked front axle...

doable?

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
So you're thinking of routing the vacuum through a different switch then?

Leith

In The Zone
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
no he's not.......................

ya it would work but u would kill it very fast.... assuming your c.a.d still works the way jeep designed it

every time u shift the t case to 4hi or lo u would in essence have a cheap locked front.....

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 01:55 PM
But if he rerouted the vacuum to a seperate switch would he be able to put it in 4wd and have only the L.F driving until he applied the vacuum to engage the R.F axle?

Leith

Fuzzydog
11-10-2006, 01:58 PM
actually I was thinking of routing the vac lock through a separate switch.
that way you could put the tcase into 4 hi, but don't activate the vac connect. with a non-diff tcase, like a 231, and welded spiders, you would now have both front and rear dshafts powered but at the front, power would only go to the short axle tire so you would still be able to steer around corners (at least as well as if you hadn't welded the spiders - ie some chirping on tight turns) Now if you need more oomph, you activate the vac lock (manually) and you have a solid front axle.
I know that ideally you would have the front diff able to transfer power side to side but let's face it, the power is only going to go to the tire with the least traction anyway...but with this idea, if the powered tire is slipping in the mud, just hit the vac lock and away you go, then unlock it again and keep wheelin..

I'm guessing that this is a workable idea, but the D30 components just wouldn't be up to the stresses...?

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 02:05 PM
That's what I thought you were sayin.

Leith

Fuzzydog
11-10-2006, 02:07 PM
But if he rerouted the vacuum to a seperate switch would he be able to put it in 4wd and have only the L.F driving until he applied the vacuum to engage the R.F axle?

Leith

I'm thinking that if the spiders are welded then it would/should

In The Zone
11-10-2006, 02:08 PM
ok ya if u switch the cad assembly to it's own switch even better do away witht the vac all together and rig a cable...

i still doubt the d30 will stand up to any thing strenuos even woth a small tire like a 33"[cheers]

Fuzzydog
11-10-2006, 02:14 PM
I think I might play around with this a bit..... I have a 'spare' D30 disco axle that I only want the 3:73's out of (to match the exploder 8.8)

next step of course is wondering if it could be rigged up (cable, not vac) on a bigger axle - like make the long side a disco with a splined sleeve......

as if I didn't already have enough projects on the go...

thanks for the input guys

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Now you got me thinkin. I have the 242 t-case so my diff's not equipped with the vac system. It's live all the time. Let me know how you make out. I might think about gettin an old diff and try it out.

Leith

B
11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
evan the blue and i had a double switch vacum setup fabed for his so he could use his as a 2 wheel drive low range ... cause of 488 in the rear and 410 front with the 4 to 1 in his tcase .... but the cable is the way to go if ur gonna stick with a dana 30 ....[wako] ..:)

Grantman
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Welding the spiders would cause the non-disconnect side axle to constantly drive the ring gear. Cost ya a bit of fuel mileage and prolly have the front shaft singing on the hiway.

Melvin
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Bah, Dont worry about that front shaft spinning. That would be the least of ur concerns.

Troy
11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
just buy a different truck, problem solved

Leithmc
11-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I have the Wagoneer style with no disconnect. If I get over 13 mpg on the hwy I'm a happy fukker.

Leith

kootenaycat
11-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I would love to watch you try to drive it in 4wd with the axle disconnected! First time you mash the pedal, it will yank the steering wheel out of your hands and make a harsh left turn! [15] My old quad (Polaris) used to do that when one of the front hubs would screw up! Exciting!

epic3
11-11-2006, 03:02 AM
ok ya if u switch the cad assembly to it's own switch even better do away witht the vac all together and rig a cable...

i still doubt the d30 will stand up to any thing strenuos even woth a small tire like a 33"[cheers]
I beg to differ
even with 36`s and a V8 pushin 5500 pounds I have yet to blow up my d30 even tho my ujoints rattle like a spray can

just be carefull and not a lead foot [cheers]

Big_Ern
11-11-2006, 03:04 AM
when your modified diff is unlocked, you will only be driving one tire, which is useless. Its worse than having a regular open diff.

In The Zone
11-11-2006, 07:41 AM
I beg to differ
even with 36`s and a V8 pushin 5500 pounds I have yet to blow up my d30 even tho my ujoints rattle like a spray can

just be carefull and not a lead foot [cheers]

beg all u want bald 36" tires and a old tired binder aint gonna cause much stress ........[15]

but ya the mor e thought i give it the more usless this mod would be that short side will get air come down have no give and go snap......

good luck .

NLWrangler
11-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I've actually seen this done. Will it work: Yes. Will it last long: No.
Don't be shocked if your front end shatters. Has happened to everyone I know who's tried this. And in pretty short order.

shortbusracing
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
bolt in the cable kit. I have done two of em on yj's, if I remember right they were pretty cheap!